NT, serious question....MUSLIMS celebrating CHRISTMAS, your thoughts?

So NT, I updated my FB status 7hrs ago saying "It baffles me when Muslims ask for Christmas presents..."

And this girl, treasurer of the student organization I'm president of, and future LAWYER, posts this on my wall:
u and these ignorant %$$ statuses of urs..sometime u shud think before u say stuff..just saying..being an educated person like urself..

so I respond via fb chat and one of the most lackluster "debates" I've ever been a part of ensues...I almost feel as stupid as she sounded now
laugh.gif

Ebun
what was wrong with what i said?
9:15pm

Debbie
its just stupid..almost as stupid as the grl who made the comment bout ppl at mcds makin more than ppl in naija
9:15pm

Ebun
what?!
yo don't come at me like that. it was not directed at u, so just take it with a grain of salt..
u cant' say "its just stupid" what about it is stupid?
9:16pm

Debbie
im not takin it personally
im just sayin
9:16pm

Ebun
ur just saying what?
what is ignorant about the comment? muslims do not celebrate christmas ( a religious holiday) so i just find it odd when muslims ask for chrismtas gifts...what is ignorant about that?
9:17pm

Debbie
because xmas isnt really celebrated in the conventional way anymore
especially in the united states

Ebun
so that makes my comment ignorant?

Debbie
yes it does

Ebun
is it my fault that it has become a more secular holiday?
9:18pm

Debbie
no exactly

Ebun
to me, it's a religious holiday

Debbie
it has become securlar
secular
so for u to say dumb stuff like that
makes u look ignorant

Ebun
because i'm a christian, so me, being a christian who celebrates the birth of christ, finds it ODD that a MUSLIM asks for CHRISTMAS gifts.
sure, i'm ignorant now debbie. pls take the insults somewhere else. i dont have time for that.

Debbie
wateva ur entitled to ur opinion
im just saying its dumb
9:19pm

Ebun
i know.
ok.

Debbie
but i guess u conservation holier than thou wanna b folks
can continue to think as such

Ebun
holier than thou?

Debbie
conservative*

Ebun
what is holier than thou about anything i said?

Debbie
not in this instance

Ebun
if i fasted during ramadan, you wouldn't find that odd at all?
so ur coming at me for something else that is unrelated to this instance?
9:20pm

Debbie
thats different
ramadan isnt secular

Ebun
of course, i expected that response
neither is christmas

Debbie
whatever yo
ur not seeing the point
its kool

Ebun
of course, you cop out. there is no "point"

Debbie
lol wow
some ppl will never change
smh
oh well
for such an educated person
9:21pm

Ebun
if u want to have an intelligent discussion, we can.

Debbie
ur so close minded at times

Ebun
if you want to just insult my opinion and my character because of a postulation i made, be my guest, but don't just come at me sideways

Debbie
im not
9:22pm

Ebun
i'm closed minded because i'm baffled when muslims ask for christmas gifts?!
9:23pm

Debbie
ur missing an element
of the conversation

Ebun
regardless of how secular christmas has become and we give gifts etc, it is a RELIGIOUS holiday. point blank, period. so when someone of another, usually opposing religion to christianity comes along and essentially wants to CELEBRATE that with me, i find that to be odd. it is akin to me fasting during ramadan because i'm not a muslim
u keep saying that i'm missing the point, u have failed to mention this "point"

Debbie
its NOT the same
9:24pm

Ebun
why?

Debbie
because its not like they are going to church with you on xmas

Ebun
if that's the best u can come up with, i'm done lol.
neither am i going to the mosque with u during ramadan...
9:25pm

Debbie
this is going nowhere
9:25pm

Ebun
it isn't
because u are just making blanket statements instead of intelligent points.
9:26pm

Debbie
not really
its cuz ur so stuck in your way of thinking

Ebun

am I?

Debbie
you dont care to see my point
yes u are

Ebun

becasue u NEVER said wht your point is.

i'm waiting

say "ebun, my point is ....."

u just keep calling me closed minded. pls open my mind.
9:27pm

Debbie
ma worry
learn on your own

Ebun

of course, and you're gonna be a lawyer

lol

Debbie
wow dont come at me sideways

Ebun

u cop out of a simple discussion

Debbie
i dnt feel like doin this with u..really
cuz i know u

Ebun

ur job is to convince me w hy my point is wrong, and as of yet, you haven't done that

u s hould, because ur the one who wrote on my wall calling my statuses ignorant and saying that i should think before i say stuff

funny enough, of all the muslims on my friends list, you're the only one who took it as "ignorant"...that says something
9:28pm

Debbie
ok

so NT, what are your thoughts on this issue? Muslims "celebrating" Christmas . I know, in American culture at least, it has become more of a secularholiday, with the gift-giving, Santa, etc...but it is a religious holiday.

I'm not reading that but Muslims asking for christmas presents is no worse than non church going, christian when I wanna be types asking for christmaspresents.

Christmas the holiday has transcended religious ceremony and is now a staple for far more than that.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I'm not reading that but Muslims asking for christmas presents is no worse than non church going, christian when I wanna be types asking for christmas presents.

Christmas the holiday has transcended religious ceremony and is now a staple for far more than that.

thanks for, so far, the only intelligent response in this thread. I agree, but i just thought it odd for her to call me ignorant for what I said. *shrug*

i feel you, no need to call you ignorant.

im non-religious and i still celebrate "christmas", because im accustomed to it.
My kids most likely wont be celebrating it, but still receive something around that time.

First off that statement is an oxymoron. I can see Muslims tolerating Christmas and even appeasing others just for the sake of it but outright celebrating it?

When did Christmas become a secular holiday in the U.S.??? It's one thing to westernize yourself and another to assimilate to the norms of this country butif it aint religious it's just a time of the year where you go out of your way to spend money when you don't need to. Sure the religious part of theholiday may have become a misnomer but it's still rooted in religion. The other stuff is just an excuse.

This issue really doesn't have anything to do with being Christian or not on your part. A Muslim asking for Christmas presents imo is baffling

Originally Posted by Master Zik

First off that statement is an oxymoron. I can see Muslims tolerating Christmas and even appeasing others just for the sake of it but outright celebrating it?

When did Christmas become a secular holiday in the U.S.??? It's one thing to westernize yourself and another to assimilate to the norms of this country but if it aint religious it's just a time of the year where you go out of your way to spend money when you don't need to. Sure the religious part of the holiday may have become a misnomer but it's still rooted in religion. The other stuff is just an excuse.

This issue really doesn't have anything to do with being Christian or not on your part. A Muslim asking for Christmas presents imo is baffling

QFT! Thank you! Don't know if you even read any of the convo, but she essentially came at me and called me ignorant and "closed minded" becauseof the way I saw it.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I'm not reading that but Muslims asking for christmas presents is no worse than non church going, christian when I wanna be types asking for christmas presents.

laugh.gif
@ "so when someone of another, usually opposing religion to christianity" Rich with irony that quote is....

Oh and she failed something terrible when she responded with that learn on your own crap. Shut your $@@@+$$ mouth then you nonsensical #!%%!. She starts offwith an insult, follows up with you being close minded and it isn't able to argue her point except for roundabout defense that you're stuck in yourways. Quit the malarkey #!%%!.

Many Muslims exchange gifts on the 25th (a secular holiday for some) which might be surprising to some-- I can see that--- that's really all there is tothe discussion.

On a side note, I wouldn't entrust that future "lawyer" to run a lemonade stand.

She was bugging for making that initial comment, and you for thinking the average (if not any) NTer's were going to sit back and read that whole dialogue. No offense to you man, but it came off as kind of asinine, period. I see where you're coming from, but in this day and age, the last thing people areworried about is who does what in their homes. To be honest with you, Christmas has virtually lost any kind of religious significance in the States and otherdeveloped countries. All it means now is gift-giving, decorating, and eating in excess. So really, it's not that much different from Thanksgiving.

I agree with you. I don't know what's wrong with her though. She's just tryna make excuses.

Originally Posted by KIDFLY SniperElite007

Originally Posted by air max 87

1. aint that serious
2. aint no one reading that
3. pics of the girl

For number 3.. Why? You can't even see her face
grin.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

but really, where are the pics?

I don't know any Muslims, American born blacks or Middle Eastern, that celebrate Christmas.

When did Christmas presents have anything to do with anything religious? Explain to me what a tree, presents or any of that other stuff have to with Christ?

And for that reason, yes, "Christmas" nowadays is a secular holiday. Christmas to many people doesn't necessarily have to do with religion.People of all faiths "celebrate" Christmas by buying a tree, decorating, baking Christmas cookies, exchanging gifts, etc.

For the record, I'm Muslim and I participate in gift-giving and such. My family is still very traditional and doesn't do anything.

Listen I'm not christian and I celebrate christmas. To me the meaning behind christmas transcends the religious aspect keeping it as only christians cancelebrate it. I feel that Christmas in the sense of being the day Christ was born is for Christians and the one where Santa Clause comes around giving everyonein the world gifts is for everybody else.

You mad cuz a person of another religion is giving people gifts and then also accepting them is ******ed. Ain't that serious homie.

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

She was bugging for making that initial comment, and you for thinking the average (if not any) NTer's were going to sit back and read that whole dialogue. No offense to you man, but it came off as kind of asinine, period. I see where you're coming from, but in this day and age, the last thing people are worried about is who does what in their homes. To be honest with you, Christmas has virtually lost any kind of religious significance in the States and other developed countries. All it means now is gift-giving, decorating, and eating in excess. So really, it's not that much different from Thanksgiving.

none taken. I see what you are saying, I'm no "elitist" or anything, but for her to call me "ignorant" for what I said was asinine
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Oh and she failed something terrible when she responded with that learn on your own crap. Shut your $@@@+$$ mouth then you nonsensical #!%%!. She starts off with an insult, follows up with you being close minded and it isn't able to argue her point except for roundabout defense that you're stuck in your ways. Quit the malarkey #!%%!.

that's all i wanted was for her to formulate an intelligent response to what I was saying, but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom