#NT SHARE YOUR MOVING TO A NEW CITY AFTER GRADUATION SUCCESS STORIES!

I'm applying to positions all over the country (NY, Chicago, Philly, Cali, Northwest, etc.) and outside the US (Toronto, Vancouver, London, etc.). My biggest concern if I were to get some offers would be adjusting to life in an unfamiliar city. I know most companies host networking events for their NewGrad employees and stuff like that.

Where are my fellow NT'ers who left their hometowns after graduation and started careers in new cities?

bounced around to different colleges around texas b/c of basketball...

i graduated from a school in south texas, and moved to North Dallas for graduate school and work...

Its really awesome b/c it forces you to explore and open your eyes to new things...

start up convos w/ yambs are EASY cuz you sound different off top... so they'll listen to what you say...

downside: the first couple months were rough cuz i didnt know ANYONE...

plan on moving somewhere else after i finish grad school...

:pimp: :pimp:

This thread should be very helpful. I too would like some information since I am graduating in a couple weeks and plan to move in the late spring or summer. But I would say just get out and walk around your area where you live. Try going to some local place to eat and local shops. I always do that when I am visiting different cities and I seem to meet some cool people.

How'd you go about finding a new group of friends?
i hoop, so i met cats at the courts...

friends of coworkers is also good... not the COWORKER directly though... unless yall have similar backgrounds and interests...

for instance... everyone at my job is 33+ except another cat thats 26... and we have been out a few times...

when i hit the clubs, i dont just holla at the yambs... i make friends w/ yambs...

and i'm in grad school, so that helps out as well too...

i met a chick at McDonalds and she was cool as a fan... wasnt eem tryin to smash, and didnt... she tells me about places to go and where everything is jumpin at...

you just have to be able to make someone feel comfortable talking to you within the first 30 seconds of meeting them... if you can do that, then its all gravy... smile, be warm, and ASK PEOPLE QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT THEY HAVE GOING ON...

the most flattering thing is for someone to tell you their goals and you compliment and congratulate them... from there, they open up to you, and BONG... friend made...

Moved to the opposite side of the country, it was pretty easy to find new people to be friends with. Couple years later i joined a great network, now I have people I can rely on across the country. Don't be shy and take advantage of the relationships you make.

Back
Top Bottom