NT should I buy this house? 2000+ sq ft for 63k across from school, good neighborhood

damn 63k for a house! That's insane. Maybe I shouldn't focus on buying my first place in Cali or New York. Jeez.

damn 63k for a house! That's insane. Maybe I shouldn't focus on buying my first place in Cali or New York. Jeez.

I say take it. Depending on what kinda school it is, it could be safe for you to live there with security and cops patrolling around. and itll be a good reason for ppl to buy it if u eventually sell it

I say take it. Depending on what kinda school it is, it could be safe for you to live there with security and cops patrolling around. and itll be a good reason for ppl to buy it if u eventually sell it

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

What if someone else from NT buys the house because you posted it? How mad would you be?

laugh.gif

saw a house for 80k earlier this week and I thought that was cheap.

I'd go for it.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

What if someone else from NT buys the house because you posted it? How mad would you be?

laugh.gif

saw a house for 80k earlier this week and I thought that was cheap.

I'd go for it.

For 63k? Get it, Hard to find a house for that price now days, It's almost a steal!

For 63k? Get it, Hard to find a house for that price now days, It's almost a steal!

yea u dont wanna know how much i bought my first 3 houses for. then again i live in california...

yea u dont wanna know how much i bought my first 3 houses for. then again i live in california...

Originally Posted by JD214

not in Oklahoma, fambs.

the cost of living is ridiculous out there.

my pop had a town home.. two bedroom, two bathroom w/ an upstairs...

for $400 a month...

they raised it after 6 years to $500...
laugh.gif

do some house searching in OK and see how low the prices are.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JD214

not in Oklahoma, fambs.

the cost of living is ridiculous out there.

my pop had a town home.. two bedroom, two bathroom w/ an upstairs...

for $400 a month...

they raised it after 6 years to $500...
laugh.gif

do some house searching in OK and see how low the prices are.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

If you want to renovate that the correct way it'll run you 60-70k at the minimum I would think. The kitchen alone will run 25-30k.

If you want to renovate that the correct way it'll run you 60-70k at the minimum I would think. The kitchen alone will run 25-30k.

you're right, it definitely needs some work. mostly cosmetic, but that can add up fast. if you're ok with doing the work yourself and aren't in a hurry to have it all completed ASAP, then it seems like a good investment. this goes without saying, but you MUST get a home inspection. since the price is so low and the house has been on the market forever, i'd be worried there might be something more substantial wrong with it (structural, electrical, infestation, etc). also, it's a bank repo... probably a foreclosure. there's a good chance the previous owners did not take good care of it. so just be fully prepared for the amount of work you're going to have to do.

i'd start with the easy stuff first: get those walls painted, update simple things like door and cabinet hardware and blinds/window treatments. then move on to the floors. in terms of wholesale remodeling, i think i'd focus on the kitchen. it is really out of date, but you may could stick with the current layout and at the very least replace the cabinet doors, update the hardware, upgrade the appliances, redo the floor, etc. then move on to the bathroom. again, simple upgrades can go a long way.

when you're feeling really adventurous, i would do something about the landscaping and that front porch. seriously, tear that whole thing down and replace it with a gabled roof or trellis structure. give it some presence from the road. it looks like it was stuck on as an afterthought. and that railing needs to be more substantial.

one last thing... even though it would be your first home and you're not even thinking about selling it right now... you HAVE to consider how likely you will be able to sell this house down the road. the fact that it's across from a school is not going to appeal to everybody. and the fact that it's been on the market for so long is a little troubling. but with the right updates, you can have it looking much better. that's why i suggested starting with the bathroom and kitchen... more than any other rooms, those 2 affect resale the most.

good luck! there's nothing quite like the feeling of buying your first home. just don't let your emotions overrule your head.

you're right, it definitely needs some work. mostly cosmetic, but that can add up fast. if you're ok with doing the work yourself and aren't in a hurry to have it all completed ASAP, then it seems like a good investment. this goes without saying, but you MUST get a home inspection. since the price is so low and the house has been on the market forever, i'd be worried there might be something more substantial wrong with it (structural, electrical, infestation, etc). also, it's a bank repo... probably a foreclosure. there's a good chance the previous owners did not take good care of it. so just be fully prepared for the amount of work you're going to have to do.

i'd start with the easy stuff first: get those walls painted, update simple things like door and cabinet hardware and blinds/window treatments. then move on to the floors. in terms of wholesale remodeling, i think i'd focus on the kitchen. it is really out of date, but you may could stick with the current layout and at the very least replace the cabinet doors, update the hardware, upgrade the appliances, redo the floor, etc. then move on to the bathroom. again, simple upgrades can go a long way.

when you're feeling really adventurous, i would do something about the landscaping and that front porch. seriously, tear that whole thing down and replace it with a gabled roof or trellis structure. give it some presence from the road. it looks like it was stuck on as an afterthought. and that railing needs to be more substantial.

one last thing... even though it would be your first home and you're not even thinking about selling it right now... you HAVE to consider how likely you will be able to sell this house down the road. the fact that it's across from a school is not going to appeal to everybody. and the fact that it's been on the market for so long is a little troubling. but with the right updates, you can have it looking much better. that's why i suggested starting with the bathroom and kitchen... more than any other rooms, those 2 affect resale the most.

good luck! there's nothing quite like the feeling of buying your first home. just don't let your emotions overrule your head.

Is the house in a convenient location so you can get to your workplace in a timely manner? Is it near any shopping centers/recreational places? Are you single?

The house looks like it needs a lot of renovation, and I, personally, wouldn't want to stress and spend time worrying about fixing it. I'd save up and buy a nicer house down the road.

Just my opinion, though.
ohwell.gif

Is the house in a convenient location so you can get to your workplace in a timely manner? Is it near any shopping centers/recreational places? Are you single?

The house looks like it needs a lot of renovation, and I, personally, wouldn't want to stress and spend time worrying about fixing it. I'd save up and buy a nicer house down the road.

Just my opinion, though.
ohwell.gif

new floors
new kitchen
new windows
new bathroom
expand/fix front porch*
dormers for the upstairs to create more space*
landscaping

*optional

that's a big list.

even with the cheaper cost of labor out there.. you're prob looking at a good chunk of change

new floors
new kitchen
new windows
new bathroom
expand/fix front porch*
dormers for the upstairs to create more space*
landscaping

*optional

that's a big list.

even with the cheaper cost of labor out there.. you're prob looking at a good chunk of change

Back
Top Bottom