NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

tried these this weekend ... loved both

Wanted to wait until the weather started to cool down but broke down and finally got some Pumpkin beer after getting tired of hop-heavy IPAs.

Got this:

Post Road is a very solid pumpkin ale; it's Brooklyn Brewery's

I used to put a good amount of those down at the Inferno at PSU :lol:

is that place still open? I'm making my PSU return for Homecoming for my buddy's bachelor party

Last edited:
Post Road is a very solid pumpkin ale; it's Brooklyn Brewery's

I used to put a good amount of those down at the Inferno at PSU
laugh.gif

is that place still open? I'm making my PSU return for Homecoming for my buddy's bachelor party
Yessir but it's been pretty dead lately 
laugh.gif

Post Road is delicious man, perfect amount of pumpkin. Easy to drink and suprisingly refreshing

Yessir but it's been pretty dead lately 
laugh.gif

Post Road is delicious man, perfect amount of pumpkin. Easy to drink and suprisingly refreshing

Def good stuff, try Southampton that's my fav non imperial and obviously Dogfish Head Punkin is incredible

got the growlers filled over the weekend to take to a party.

Weird Beer from Smog City Brewing
Feminist from Monkish Brewing

Weihenstephaner Vitus

Feminist

From a few weeks ago at the Monkish taproom

Feminist for the wife. Seme Della Vita for myself.

-J-

Worked late tonight. I was forced to get my beer at wal mart. Only decent thing they had was the Sam Adams fall seasonal pack. Every thing so far is superb. The latitude 48 ipa is not so aggressive but a well balanced malt back bone and the hazel nut brown give rouge a run for thier money.

Just had a Killerweis... Pretty good... Hefe's are not my faves by any stretch but that was pretty drinkable... Staring down a Palo Santo from DFH and I really want to drink it

Two nights ago I had a Organic Brett Farmhouse Ale and it blew away my expectations. Got it in a trade while I was away from home and dude hooked me up for sure.

Second pic is WallyHopp's surprise! I promise it will be there soon! hahaha.With extras!!!

This was the first night being home I got to hit my local (although, 25 minutes away) craft brew spot. Got some recommendations on the pumpkin beers as well as the oktoberfest from Harpoon.

Cheers Guys! (and the one gal, AJChick)

This one is less than three weeks old.  For an imperial IPA, this beer is a lot maltier than I expected it to be.  The bitterness and piney/floral flavors from the hops are there initially, but they quickly give way to bready, malty, caramel flavors.  Seems different from when I first had it at the beginning of the year.  Either way, not too shabby.  8.75/10  

Last edited:
Mastamind, how is the Goose Island Octoberfest?

I actually had a blind tasting of 5 Octoberfest beers two weekends back. I suggest everyone doing a blind tasting as frequently as you can. They are so fun. You want to pick and choose beers you may have tried before and many you consider your favorites. But do those favorites stack up when there is no label?

The five beers were:
Weihenstephaner OctoberfestBier
Ayinger Marzen
Santa Fe Oktoberfest
Widmer Okto festival ale
Beck's Octoberfest

Out of these 5, I had previously tried just one, SF oktoberfest. It's one I actually consider a favorite. I've bought at least 7 six packs already :smh:. The other beer I knew about before coming into this was the Weihenstephaner from the night before. The beer poured a lighter color than most oktoberfests. So I had an idea which one that beer was.

Here's how the tasting went down... We started from Right and went left.
The whole breakdown in spoiler form:
Visually, I could maybe only guess one of them (#3 was weihenstephaner). So it was a nice challenge to not only guess based off of looks, but by flavor.

Flavor wise, #1 stood out the most. I knew instantly that sharp carbonation bite is just something these European brewers do right. So Ayinger was our guess (it proved to be right).

#2 and #4 shared many of the same flavors and looks. This was a tossup for me between my favorite, Santa Fe's oktoberfest, and Beck's/Widmer, two of which I had never tried before.

Beer #5 was the worst of the bunch. It was between Beck's and Widmer's beer as being the worst.... It didn't have any signature flavors of an oktoberfest. Something was way off flavor wise, as it tasted more like bathwater than anything remotely close to a beer....

The reveal showed that beer # 1 was in fact Ayinger, # 2 turned out to be Beck's, #3 we were right with Weihenstephaner, #4 Santa Fe, and #5 Widmer.

Before the reveal, my dad and I make a list of our favorites.

Me: 1/4/2/3/5
Dad: 2/1/4/3/5

Ayinger surprised both of us, as well as Beck's. I actually picked my favorite beer 2nd, and my dad 3rd. So it's nice to know that this blind tasting held true in some form as new favorites were given. What's scary is when you find one that sucks. You become unsure of what brand made that crap. In this case through a process of elimination, we had either a Beck's beer or Widmer beer that was bad.

On a beer review score related front, I didn't want the scores to affect my tastings so I tried to not look into them until after this first tasting. Ayinger scored in the 89 range as being GREAT. All of the others scored in the high 70s to low 80s. So we were kind of spot on with Ayinger tasting the best, at least I was.

That was merely round 1 as the octoberfest beers are just coming out. We know we had some notable exclusions. So that is what round 2 is for.

Round 2 for this weekend will be even larger. We will remove the Widmer beer from ever being used or bought again. Our new tasting will include the 4 from the previous tasting, and include:

Paulaner Marzen
Hofbrau OF
Sam Adams OF
Leinenkugels OF
Spaten OF
Pyramid OF

Nothing earth shattering being done here, or even rare in a beer distrubution sense. But it's still fun to round up some of my favorite styles and see which one comes out on top. This time around I have looked at all BA scores. Many in the lower tier areas, and just one above 87.. This may be one hard to drink experience. We'll see if I can actually pick out the Ayinger, Paulaner, and my favorite SF through the other mediocre style offerings.
----------------

Love your review style ComparisonFord. I need to not get lazy and get a nice photographic catalog/view of all beers I have tried

yeahitsRUST, excitement is building. I'm the comparative type. So I may try and round up some available stouts and get a solid tasting in.

Django0508, that is by Victory, right? Their Wallop is nice, and their storm king stout. I haven't had a bad beer from those guys (only tried three but all three way above the standard)

you guys ever buy beer off the shelf (not cold)?? i only ask cause one of the places i go to, which has the better selection around, has a completely different selection than what they have in the coolers. i usually never paid attention because i assumed the shelved beer was just back up stock. 

come to find out they have sams adams barrel collection and the sam adams chocolate bock stocked up. i know those arent hard to come by, but i rarely see them and makes me wonder what else have 

I do all the time. For major brands we hit up Costco.

Last trip got 24 packs of Stella and Pacifico

Two nights ago I had a Organic Brett Farmhouse Ale and it blew away my expectations. Got it in a trade while I was away from home and dude hooked me up for sure.
Soooo good...

If someone wants Vertical Epic 12/12/12 holla at me (kidding)

you guys ever buy beer off the shelf (not cold)?? i only ask cause one of the places i go to, which has the better selection around, has a completely different selection than what they have in the coolers. i usually never paid attention because i assumed the shelved beer was just back up stock. 

come to find out they have sams adams barrel collection and the sam adams chocolate bock stocked up. i know those arent hard to come by, but i rarely see them and makes me wonder what else have 

The best selection is usally off the room temp racks... Sucks that only one of my 5 go-to's lets you grab any bottle you want to build your sixer... They are the more expensive store but has an insane selection... Well woth the extra couple of bucks.

This is my first time drinking a beer from Hoppin' Frog.  I've seen bombers of B.O.R.I.S. and D.O.R.I.S. around, but I never took them seriously because I thought the labels looked cheesy.  After  seeing how they fare on BeerAdvocate, I decided to give them a shot.  This beer is definitely on the tame side compared to most bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts that I've had.  I don't consider this a bad thing, however.  Big chocolate and roasted malt flavors with a somewhat subdued bourbon aftertaste.  This beer is 9.4% ABV, but it drinks pretty easily.  All in all, I'm really glad I finally got around to trying this beer.  Would definitely purchase again. 9.5/10

This is my first time drinking a beer from Hoppin' Frog.  I've seen bombers of B.O.R.I.S. and D.O.R.I.S. around, but I never took them seriously because I thought the labels looked cheesy.  After  seeing how they fare on BeerAdvocate, I decided to give them a shot.  This beer is definitely on the tame side compared to most bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts that I've had.  I don't consider this a bad thing, however.  Big chocolate and roasted malt flavors with a somewhat subdued bourbon aftertaste.  This beer is 9.4% ABV, but it drinks pretty easily.  All in all, I'm really glad I finally got around to trying this beer.  Would definitely purchase again. 9.5/10

I've made this mistake before lol. Beer labels that look goofy or crappy, fortunately most of them have proved me wrong and they were well worth the time and money.

Sippin' on this tonight

Ehh. It's a Stone IPA, so it's a quality beer. Just a hint of coconut sweetness. Not much.
Would I buy again? Nope. Not at all.

-J-

Back
Top Bottom