NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Neosole89 came through once again in a major way. Major props on the latest trade..

Prairie Bible Belt
Prairie BOMB
two Pliny the elders
Speakeasy big daddy IPA
Hell or high watermelon 21st ammendment can

I got you on Monday with an abundance of IPA flavors. Prepare your palette buddy. lol

I'm going crazy here with so many choices. I actually spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out an order in the beer camp lineup for a BIG TIME sampling I would like to try with 2-3 others.

here's my preliminary 4th of July lineup
Russian River:
Yvan the Great Beligian Blonde

2.Victory:
Alt Route Altbier

3. Cigar City:
Yonder Bock Tropical Maibock

4. New Glarus:
There and Back ESB

5. Allagash:
Myron’s Walk Beligian style Pale Ale

6. Oskar Blues:
CANfusion Rye Bock

7. Firestone Walker:
Torpedo Pilsner

8. 3 Floyds:
Chico King Pale Ale

9. Ballast Point:
Electric Ray IPL

10. Asheville Brewers Alliance:
Tater Ridge Scotch Ale

11.Ninkasi:
Double Latte Coffee Milk Stout

12. Bell’s:
Maillard’s Odyssey Imperial Dark Ale

-----
Thoughts?

in my personal opinion, coffee and the dark scotch like beers tend to taint my palette more than the hoppy beers. So I chose those last. To begin, I have the blonde, which should be the lightest, into the maibock and rye bock series... IPL is wedged between two Pale Ales. We shall see how that goes.. Super excited to just freely sample 12 experimental beers.. This has to be a yearly tradition. Im sensing 5-6 GREAT beers out of this bunch

I had some impressions on the DIPA bomber that had had only 4 reviews on BA at the time yesterday. So my impressions were fresh and on the fly. I want to keep it that way when I do these 12 beers, so I am keeping really low key on the impressions of others as we taste the Americas tomorrow

Glad they made it there safely. Enjoy man!

Lineup looks legit to me. Have a safe and happy 4th everyone!

Beer gaurdian protecting the Fourth of July brews

You live in DFW? Ive been to most the breweries. Revolver has a cool brewery but not a huge fan of their beers. I know alot of people who love Blood and Honey.

You near Dallas? If so you should check out Peticolas or Deep Ellum Brewing.

My Untappd is Trelvis. I think I added all of yall.

Nah, I'm west of Fort Worth. Going to Specs this afternoon to get a few random pick ups.
I've never heard of Peticolas but I have had Dallas Blonde
:smokin

Another DFW guy here. I live off Henderson far too close to the Old Monk.

Just got back from Whole Foods. They got another shipment of prairie bomb and stopped by craft and growler on my way home.

Community has a great list if beers and their brewery is great to visit. Local artists and food trucks every Saturday.

Anyways. Untappd - AMerrill. I'll add you guys as well.

Community sounds :pimp:

Just created an untapped account add me. Pdusty92

Very disappointed thus far with the Beer Camp series.. So many are tasting identical. Why are so many 45 IBU? All thus far have had a dry type of above par craft beer finish/mouthfeel... I'm into the chico king next, the milk stout, scoth ale, and imperial dark ale. Let's see if it picks up.

PtE was amazing last night... Really hit the spot

^ plus I got their dipa beer camp bomber. So mad at myself for dropping $30. So much more could have been had. Stuff I personally know to be good.

Torpedo pilsner was decent. But probably no better than a top tier easy to get local pilsner. It's been the best so far. Chico king is a pale ale. Quite malty. Not sweet in taste. Again though, 45 ibu and a dry type of finish. Crisp and clean but more of a lightly hopped red ale. None so far have hit the right notes.

These all seemed to have been bottled/packaged in early June. That months time is showing its age on some of these beers

The Ipa is next then the darker 'heavy' hitters.

Read around online. I liked trying these without a true review presence. But the reviews are coming in slowly but surely. Id be very very surprised if any of these thus far ever reach above a 88 on BA. None are terrible but sit in that above par 80-88 ba score range where a ton of craft beer sits

Last edited:
^ Appreciate the reviews. I'll trust your palate and walk away from it if I see it.

Had a Ruinten on tap. **** was groce. The OG Ruinten I had 2(?) years ago poops alllllllll over this one. Don't taste any of the hops....it's all super, overly-cloying malts.

Managed to get the last bottle of Russian Imperial at my local bevmo. I haven't had this in almost a year it feels like. Also it was bottled in March so I get it almost 4 months aged :smokin

Overall a very lackluster beer camp affair.. Some were a touch better than others.. None of them SUCKED. But it reminds me of what would be of a New Belgium variety pack, or a Stone/ Deschutes.. Heck even a Sierra Nevada Torpedo, pale ale, stout, kellerweis, and summerfest beer set would compete with the beer camp. Just some very run of the mill standard "lets make a beer set EVERYONE will enjoy", where nothing truly stood out in flavor.

Why couldnt they all just each provide a beer/recipe of their best selling beer and just release it for the USA to take notice of... I can't name all of these guys' most popular beers, but a Bells two hearted would be amazing.. Is a 12 oz. hunahpu Cigar City beer out of the question? Maybe their jai IPA? Who cares if RRs favorite beer is in the same category as 5 others. Imagine the opportunity for the nation to be able to buy a beer they normally couldnt? These collabs I;m figuring out, do nothing for me.

With that set purchase done with, I think I have to take a break from random purchases for awhile. I felt good about this one and was let down BIG TIME

Neosole89, I'm really pushing thru these beers you sent

Had the last PtE side by side with a same age elevated Ipa. Something was a touch off with Pliny. Kind of a muted hop presence this time around. That sort of swampy wet hop smell. Still crisp and clean. Not sure why two same dates plinys could each have their own flavor profiles. I guess it happens with elevated as well. It was still a 5/5. Just not as in your mouth hoppy as just two days ago.

Went with a speakeasy big daddy Ipa as well. Bottles 5/27. Decent smell. Nothing too crazy. But somewhat there. Taste wise it was very crisp and clean and had a lager like finish. A nice surprise. I'm surprised it scores a 84 ba. I figured a 87 or a touch above

^ You got through them quicker than I thought you would haha. Strange the second Pliny lost it's hop presence a just few days later. I have a few bottles left, I'll see how they fair later this week.

Speakeasy is a solid brewery. I figure I'll send you some stuff to try from SF. How was the watermelon wheat?

I've been working through these BC beers all weekend. So far nothing has really jumped out at me as mind blowing stuff. I expected more from all these great breweries I guess. My fave thus far is the Tropical Maibock from Cigar City. I still have the dark ales and milk stout left to go. I 'll tackle those sometime this week.

Last edited:
^ I felt the same way about BW.. All very solid. But for the one year hype build up and price point, it's just not THERE. The darker beers, like the imperial dark ale, and coffee stout were a bit more unique and flavorful. But still not at that "stunning" level.

The hell or high watermelon beer was a hit. Some females at the party I was at noticed the can and I mentioned it was a "wheat" beer. They said they love wheat beers, and I sadly had to share more than half a can... But overall. It has that sense of a light crisp wheat beer.. Think Oberon by Bells.. But in the slight aftertaste, you get a sense of watermelon... I would rank this above Oberon for sure, and almost any other Hefeweizen... Hefes just dont seem to be as crisp as a wheat beer/ fruit combo.. BA ranks it pretty average. But I've seen many on NT over the years liking the H or H watermelon wheat and I can definitely understand the NT 'hype'.

Every time I go out and get myself a "bigger than normal" haul, I make sure to cop Hell or High Watermelon and Lindemans Framboise, because they are my wife's favorite beers, all in an effort to reduce the backlash! :rofl: :lol: :smokin

finally tracked this stuff down for Memorial Weekend

Do you like it?

I've tried it before and it was pretty good. Tasted like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. It's a nice break from when I want something other than Hell or High. 

Hell or High is a masterpiece (flame suit activated) when it comes to a good BBQ beer. 

Wow... Haven't even seen that round here... Sounds nasty... But I'm it a shipyard fan in the least...

Been drinking Bridgeport all day today. Found them at Costco the other day. Hop Czar is where it's at!

Saturday I went to a Belgian gastropub.
Grubbed on brats, kraut, schnitzel and some fine beers.
Space Cake DIPA from Clown Shoes
Aventinus Eisbock
And this:
Tripel Karmeliet

All 3 were really good with the Karmeliet being the star.

-J-

Local spot just got in some Westy 12. At $23, is it worth it?
My boy got his 6 pack shipped from Belgium and it came to $25 a bottle.
I would buy it just so I could say I tried it. It's a whale and a truly excellent beer.
Worth $23? Debateable.

I had this about a month or so ago at a sushi place by my house and was pleasantly surprised. I went to my local joint and he had a case of 24. Bought 12, then went back a day later and bought the other 12. This is a pretty solid beer for summer. Light and clean, really. 

Anyone get either of these? The Love Child is OUTSTANDING!

I've still yet to try anything from Boulevard or Prairie :wow:

Local spot just got in some Westy 12. At $23, is it worth it?
My boy got his 6 pack shipped from Belgium and it came to $25 a bottle.
I would buy it just so I could say I tried it. It's a whale and a truly excellent beer.

Worth $23? Debateable.

Basically. Could also use it as trade bait.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom