NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I like Jai Alai. One of my favorite IPA's. Hey, we all have our preferences right?

Just got back from a business trip in Scottsdale, AZ. Not too many craft beers there unfortunately (at least where I was staying). My hotel had Sam Adams, Corona, Bud, Bluemoon and Anchor Steam. Had to go with Anchor Steam there :lol:. The local restaurants weren't that much better. Found a spot that had some Deschutes Inversion IPA on draft which was really good. Nice citrus and fruity notes.

Couldn't wait to get back to the Cali as San Jose is currently having their Silicon Valley Beer Week. Got off the plane and immediately hitup some of the local bars haha. First bar had an Allagash tap takeover. I ended up ordering the Golden Brett sour ale. Had a mild tartness to it, not all that funky like other sours. Very balanced beer. Really enjoyed this one.

Went to another bar that had a bunch of Ballast Point beers on tap. Really wanted to try the Grapefruit Sculpin but it was tapped out. Ended up with Alpine's Nelson. Wow! The Nelson Sauvin hops really shine here. Big hop flavor with some nice citrus and tropical fruit notes. Got a little bit of spice from the rye as well. Awesome brew!

Here's a look at one side of the tap list. Any recommendations for this weekend?

Last edited:
Jai Alai was 3rd among the three, so definitely not a "favorite".. Include the likes of two hearted, dirtwolf, sculpin, PtE, hop ranch, sucks, hi resin, even sumpin extra ale, and other giants, and it does likely still sit in last place. The mouthfeel impressed me the most as it lends towards the heavy side but really doesnt seem that heavy (odd play on words). The hop presence was definitely the least impressive of the the three. I personally still have to consider it upper echelon though. if It was available alongside even just 2-3 others mentioned above, I think I would pass on it though. So I do see your guys' perspective.

Neosole, i totally missed your post about scottsdale. I would have been of no use, as I barely visited the entire PHX area in a two day span, spending most of my time at TotalWine. I picked up 95% of the locals, and did stop at AZ Wilderness in Gilbert AZ.... With AZ being the only western state home to Founders, Bells, Ballast Point and FW combined, I would think the PHX bars would be all over that... like ALL OVER IT.

Last edited:
I'm from Orange County. I need pumking and warlock. Let me know if you can help me out with a trade. I can get you bruery, stone , russian river, almanac sours, etc. I had pumking a few months ago for the first time and it was amazing.

I haven't had many of them but most of what my local places have are IPA's and I can't stand IPA's so that's probably most of the reason. I love pumpkin beers and their's was not very good, IMO.

First Oktoberfest of the season... I like the style to begin with, so drinking this now is fine. I'd drink it in July if they had it.

I ended up with two cases.. And since I despise pumpkin beers, my go to for the next three months will be almost entirely this stuff

Last edited:
I must be in the minority, because I think DFH is one of the most over-rated breweries in the country.  The only beer I enjoy from them is World Wide Stout.  The only brewery I find more over-rated is Rogue.  

^ You trying to start a war? Cause I'll fight alongside you :lol:

DFH.....never had anything I truly loved and had to get more of. Solid beers, and I like that they experiment a lot, plus they were one of the first "craft" brewers that helped propagate this beer "fad," but I find their stuff to be middle of the road.

Alpine deserves all the hype. So glad I can get Nelson whenever the hell I want. Probably my favorite IPA, double or otherwise.

DFH slander

If you guys want a war... :lol:

I think I would have to say my second favorite brewery would be Southern Tier or Bells

Problem is there are so many breweries now that I have built up a substantial knowledge of certain breweries that have been accessible to me for some time

Last edited:
Damn ford. You don't like any of the DFH IPAs??
The best one is Burton Baton, in my opinion.  I find both 60 and 90 too malty to be an IPA I'd consider seeking out.  They're all too malty, really...but at least Burton Baton has an excuse for being malty. 61, 75, and 120 minute? All not worth the money.

Having said that: I REALLY want to try Beer Thousand.  Not because I'm super interested in the beer (a 10% Imperial Pale Lager), I'm just a huge Guided By Voices fan. 
laugh.gif

I've had 60 and 90 min from DFH before and I do agree that they are very malty. I did enjoy 61 though. Just don't really buy it often with all the other beers out there.

Last edited:
mean.gif
 I'm not okay with this DFH slander. Try the "American Beauty" IPA. So good. I'm also a huge fan of 60 Min. 

Most overrated brewery = Stone. 
sick.gif

Favorite = Bells, Founders. Michigan doing big things. Go Green! 3rd place = Surly. Minnesota cats know 
smokin.gif

:smh:  I'm not okay with this DFH slander. Try the "American Beauty" IPA. So good. I'm also a huge fan of 60 Min. 

Most overrated brewery = Stone. :x  

Favorite = Bells, Founders. Michigan doing big things. Go Green! 3rd place = Surly. Minnesota cats know :smokin

:stoneface:

We going to war blood.

I'm with Based Mod on this one. Stone is good, they just need to chill on all of the new releases. All of their regular releases are on point.

DFH is solid, can't just base it on ipas. I love their limited offerings and fusions. Then again I don't think I'm as hop crazy as you guys. Stone is a tad overrated though.

What do y'all think the worst brewery is?

Magic Hat has been putting out lackluster beers for years now

Back
Top Bottom