NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

neo, not that I want to poke too far into what you are trading. But are you getting some SO CA/Bay Area gems that ppl dont have access to that you are trading for the EC stuff? It's just crazy what this beer trading has turned into. You can trade coast to coast and still end up with stuff that ends up being traded back to the other coast lol. Or traded from another coast that is a beer that is actually local to you that you couldnt get a week prior.. It's just stupid weird

kngpin88, what was the price on that FBS? I'm mad at my local places. FBS was $10 last year and barely got reduced to $8/four pack by MAY, and now they up the price to $12 this year... That pretty much means that the four packs wont drop to $10 until maybe spring break of 2017.

I'm also seeing a slow creep @ Total Wine.. Such scavengers man. Half of what they sell is now higher than the local beer shops (half of which had to close up shop).

Last edited:
Ended up meeting the beer guy at the downtown Portland Whole Foods last night. Took his advice and hit up Civic Taproom before the Timbers vs. Sounders match. Ran into him again pre-match. This was honestly one of the best IPA's I've had since I was last at Trillium. This brew was proof that the west coast can do juicy IPA's. Definitely shipping multiple 4 packs home.
http://s60.photobucket.com/user/admerr/media/6A4360A1-A85A-4BF1-9165-8737722209F8.jpg.html

There was also a mini IPA festival by our AirBnB in North Portland. Great selection on draft and had Pliny the Elder for the first time in a solid 4 years. Great beer but I still don't get the hype.

I'll be visiting PDX in October and also doing a Timbers match. Guess I'll have to hit that spot up.

Do yourself a favor and pop in an hour before kick-off. Great tap list but even better bottle selection for on-site consumption. Huge Timbers supporters bar. Best pre-match bar I've been to since I was in North London. It's literally across the street from Providence Park. The rest of MLS could learn from this town.

Last edited:
Question..how do you guys ship beer? What postal service yall use? I thought we couldn't ship out alcohol and etc im interested in trading for the future

Question..how do you guys ship beer? What postal service yall use? I thought we couldn't ship out alcohol and etc im interested in trading for the future

If it's in a glass container I bet you can't but aluminum cans shouldn't cause too much problems

neo, not that I want to poke too far into what you are trading. But are you getting some SO CA/Bay Area gems that ppl dont have access to that you are trading for the EC stuff? It's just crazy what this beer trading has turned into. You can trade coast to coast and still end up with stuff that ends up being traded back to the other coast lol. Or traded from another coast that is a beer that is actually local to you that you couldnt get a week prior.. It's just stupid weird

Yeah, most of the beers i'm trading for these EC beers are brewery only releases. I wish it was easier but unfortunately not |I. The dude i met up with today was in town for business from Philly. Some of the Tired Hands cans were only 4-5 days old which i definitely lucked out on.

Last edited:

Yeah, most of the beers i'm trading for these EC beers are brewery only releases. I wish it was easier but unfortunately not |I. The dude i met up with today was in town for business from Philly. Some of the Tired Hands cans were only 4-5 days old which i definitely lucked out on.

When I think In person trades, my mind automatically thinks local to local. I traveled with some locals beer to VT (with no intent to trade), so I guess others do it with trading in mind and pack it in their check in luggage accordingly.. That's hardcore. Had I had more time, I guess I could have set something up in VT. But really, great way to trade as you can cut out shipping costs completely.
--------------------

Purple Sneaks,
As far as trading, USPS is a government entity, if you know what I mean. UPS and FedEx have vague policies against certain things. I've seen some people wrap newspaper around each bottle and throw them back into a six pack holder, and then one layer of bubble wrap around that. I've seen people tape up the top of each bottle, throw each in a ziplock bag, and then double wrap it in bubble wrap, and any combination in between. I had one guy use a syrofoam wine shipper to ship out bombers. That thing was money. Throw in a box of skittles if there is any reason for them to want to believe there is too much "liquid" sloshing around in the box.

Either company doesnt really care too much about box size, as its more about the weight. So a little 10x10x10 box that fits say 15 beers may cost the same if its in a 15x15x15 box that has more bubble wrap.. Buy a big roll at Home Depot or Lowes for $20 and that should last you through about 100 bottles

Last edited:

kngpin88, what was the price on that FBS? I'm mad at my local places. FBS was $10 last year and barely got reduced to $8/four pack by MAY, and now they up the price to $12 this year... That pretty much means that the four packs wont drop to $10 until maybe spring break of 2017.

I'm also seeing a slow creep @ Total Wine.. Such scavengers man. Half of what they sell is now higher than the local beer shops (half of which had to close up shop).

I paid $10.99 for a four pack of FBS. I do remember paying $9.99 last year.

Poured like straight motor oil. My type of stout.

When I think In person trades, my mind automatically thinks local to local. I traveled with some locals beer to VT (with no intent to trade), so I guess others do it with trading in mind and pack it in their check in luggage accordingly.. That's hardcore. Had I had more time, I guess I could have set something up in VT. But really, great way to trade as you can cut out shipping costs completely.
--------------------

Purple Sneaks,
As far as trading, USPS is a government entity, if you know what I mean. UPS and FedEx have vague policies against certain things. I've seen some people wrap newspaper around each bottle and throw them back into a six pack holder, and then one layer of bubble wrap around that. I've seen people tape up the top of each bottle, throw each in a ziplock bag, and then double wrap it in bubble wrap, and any combination in between. I had one guy use a syrofoam wine shipper to ship out bombers. That thing was money. Throw in a box of skittles if there is any reason for them to want to believe there is too much "liquid" sloshing around in the box.

Either company doesnt really care too much about box size, as its more about the weight. So a little 10x10x10 box that fits say 15 beers may cost the same if its in a 15x15x15 box that has more bubble wrap.. Buy a big roll at Home Depot or Lowes for $20 and that should last you through about 100 bottles

Wine shippers are great for bombers. I've had great success with bubble wrap for both my checked suitcase (hard shell luggage) and actual shipping via UPS/FedEx. I usually stop at the local post office and grab bubble wrap the final day of my trips. Portland seems to have a few wine spots with shippers so I'm stopping by tomorrow to put together a package before heading up to WA for the next leg of the trip.

Wally, APlus - im gonna keep this in mind. I always wanted to trade for some stuff I cant seem to get my hands but never knew how to ship out with certain restrictions. At least i know now. Would yu recommoned USPS for lets say, a can/4pk? And UPS/FedEx for anything more than a 4pk? (Because of weight)

So, yesterday was my 40th birthday. And some of my awesome co-workers decided to get me something very special since they know how much I love beer.

Yep...40 40s.

The good thing is I have the receipts and will be able to exchange all of them. Get some solid choices and have a happy hour for everyone who was so "generous".

Last edited:
Wally, APlus - im gonna keep this in mind. I always wanted to trade for some stuff I cant seem to get my hands but never knew how to ship out with certain restrictions. At least i know now. Would yu recommoned USPS for lets say, a can/4pk? And UPS/FedEx for anything more than a 4pk? (Because of weight)

You're playing with fire if you're gonna go with USPS.

100% agreed. Avoid USPS at all costs. I have family members who have sent beer through them with no issues, but I don't recommend it. It's technically a federal offense if you get caught somehow.

I always go FedEx because they almost never ask what's inside. And if they do, just say collectible glassware or homemade salsa, etc. Those are my go-to's at least. Ha.

UPS always asks, so I don't use them.

Last edited:

100% agreed. Avoid USPS at all costs. I have family members who have sent beer through them with no issues, but I don't recommend it. It's technically a federal offense if you get caught somehow.

I always go FedEx because they almost never ask what's inside. And if they do, just say collectible glassware or homemade salsa, etc. Those are my go-to's at least. Ha.

You know how many "vintage soda cans" and "artisanal cooking oils" I've shipped in my life? 
laugh.gif

You know how many "vintage soda cans" and "artisanal cooking oils" I've shipped in my life? :lol:
I'm known for shipping homemade BBQ sauce and antique Christmas ornaments.

Just saw on IG that Monkish and Trillium are collaborating. Those in here that don't know Monkish, they are a Belgian inspired brewery here in L.A. that have morphed into the best "NE-style" IPA's on the West Coast. Should be interesting. There are 6 hour line ups for Monkish cans on it's own. Throw Trillium in the mix? Should be a ish-show.

And Happy Birthday troublebound666 troublebound666 . Welcome to the 40 club.

Last edited:

You know how many "vintage soda cans" and "artisanal cooking oils" I've shipped in my life? :lol:
I thank you guys for saving my *** before i even ship anything. I like that reason for the homemade BBQ sauce, thats a legit one too.

Back
Top Bottom