NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

C
Moving to Atlanta from Orlando next week. Definitely going to miss all the fresh Cigar City and as of late, the MIA Mega Mix. 

What's good with the Atlanta scene? I'm not up on much other than the Sweetwater stuff which is meh. 

Creature comforts has some really good brews. If you take a trip up to Athens it's like an hour away as mentioned above. Terrapin is about 10 min from them as well. Orpheus has a good DIPA that I always stock up on and some other decent stuff.

Man. Don't you just hate those beers that taste so good going down, but then you lose sight of the ABV, and it hits you all at once. A local brewery released their 8.5% DIPA yesterday, Full Nelson. Just chalked full of that Nelson Sauvin berry flavor. :smh: Almost too good and too dangerous.

-------
So I did three of my side by sides.

'15 vs. '16 FBS, '15 vs. '16 Ten Fidy, and '15 vs. '16 Narwhal
I did them blindly and found nearly identical results.

The 2016 editions were by and far hoppier, crisper, some could even say 'hot'. New FBS kills the older stuff though. That ones a given. So much loss of coffee flavor on the older bottle. Ten Fidy and Narwhal got sweeter and felt a touch more refined with the older bottles... Really though, there is nothing totally wrong with NEW or old. I wouldn't willingly age them though. The difference is minimal. And to be honest, I felt the IBUs come out more to balance the beer with the newer editions.

To the fellow asking about intro beers. I have no other advice than to hit up a brewery and get a sampler flight of everything that place brews.. That or just start buying mixed six packs, or create your own sixers. You pretty much jumped off the high diving board and didnt know how to swim when you chose to try IPAs first. That's next level stuff for a vast majority of consumers... Blonde Ales, Pilsners, craft Lagers, Hefeweizens. There are many brews out there that don't have the herbal flower element you are describing. Look at beer labels and look for IBUs. That usually tells you how hoppy a beer will be.

@WallyHopp

@Meyer23

@Comparison Ford

@Mangudai954

Sipping on this today -- bought this before the summer -- it's lost some of the Biscotti flavor and soured a bit unfortunately
I've come to the conclusion that cellaring beer is for the birds, especially if the beer you're aging has any adjunct flavors added.  Looking back on it, I've cracked open beers that were 2-3 years old and never found them more enjoyable than when I drank them fresh.  Maybe certain stouts need time to mellow the booze, but I can deal with booze more than I can deal with oxidation.  

^ I wasn't specifically keeping it in the cellar, but you know damn well I wasn't about to drink a heavy stout in the summer, b.

laugh.gif

I really just meant aging beer in general.  A few months really isn't anything, but I'm of the opinion that drinking fresh is the best policy with the vast majority of beers.

Last edited:

I really just meant aging beer in general.  A few months really isn't anything, but I'm of the opinion that drinking fresh is the best policy with the vast majority of beers.
I agree. It's the same philosophy with most things in life --

Sipping fresh beers, sipping fresh vag juice -- none of that old, aged stuff (except wine)

So glad to have gotten singles

Deschutes Hopzeit (a marzenbier IPA) is really just a hoppy red. Incredibly Sweet
Deschutes Sagefight Imperial IPA takes those piney notes people talk about and really drag your tongue through a forest floor. Sage and Juniper at the real forefront here.. Too much PINE!

Totally disappointed.

And yeah.. I dont think Ive ever had a beer that I felt aged better and was totally worth "the wait". Accidental aging is cool (finding an older beer in the store) or if you just happen to let one sit in the fridge for months. I'm sitting on a 2012 Imperial Stout from a local brewery (one of their first). Luckily I bought it just recently and didnt wait around hoping that it would be good in 4 years. I have one last bottle of last years BCBS. I may go side by side just to see.

Just had a Odell Brombeere Blackberry Gose. Quite solid. Pricepoint is terrible for what you ultimately get. But for my area, its like the only Gose on the market that is approachable. I cant do Otra Vez. Those cactus notes are iffy. Its sort of the same here. Blackberry is not ideal here. But it ends up being okay.

That;s pretty much 3 near misses thus far. I need to go back to my GO TOs

This weekends game beers. The sunshine city canned earlier this week taste great. Similar to tropicalia. I'm excited to try the scythe rye IPA.

I've come to the conclusion that cellaring beer is for the birds, especially if the beer you're aging has any adjunct flavors added.  Looking back on it, I've cracked open beers that were 2-3 years old and never found them more enjoyable than when I drank them fresh.  Maybe certain stouts need time to mellow the booze, but I can deal with booze more than I can deal with oxidation.  

Does it have the batch # on the bottom?

I grabbed a 4 pack over the summer

Xocoveza 2016 hit Stone Company stores this past weekend, bottles and growler fills. Should be hitting your lbs soon. Hearing it will be available through January.

Devastating news to my wallet. Holy crap. I was expecting this closer to last year, which was basically December 1st for my area.

Anyone know if the Alcamist Brewery in VT normally sells out of beer on Sat? Heading up to the area on Sat and they don't seem much info other their website.

Sure is. My entire beer budget for the fall will fall into acquiring XO.. FBS & other beer mix concoctions already stirring in my head.

RE Alchemist
^I know of 4 pack limits per variety. What time are you thinking? Last I remember, they had a good amount for the brewery itself to sustain itself until mid to late afternoon. But it's always hard to tell. Stores around the area really got the shaft with the expansion, as they seem to sell so much more at the brewery itself. If anything, I doubt they will run out of samples/draft servings.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have any fears. I asked a local beer store about xocoveza. They said it was a seasonal until January, so they could presumably make more. I pretty much told him, lock me down for two cases. This shall be a very expensive and prosperous fall/winter

^i believe they did two batches last year

Didn't plan to do the second batch but did it due to the overwhelming response of the first batch

Sure is. My entire beer budget for the fall will fall into acquiring XO.. FBS & other beer mix concoctions already stirring in my head.

RE Alchemist
^I know of 4 pack limits per variety. What time are you thinking? Last I remember, they had a good amount for the brewery itself to sustain itself until mid to late afternoon. But it's always hard to tell. Stores around the area really got the shaft with the expansion, as they seem to sell so much more at the brewery itself. If anything, I doubt they will run out of samples/draft servings.
Hoping to be there by 4pm at the latest on Saturday. I have had heady and focal before so it's not a huge deal since I can get such good beer in MA. I will literally be driving by the brewery on Sat so hoping they don't sell out.

Back
Top Bottom