NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Drinking a SN Pale Ale single dated 08/08/16 right now. The hop is noticeably muted in smell and taste but still balances somewhat and there's a moderate bitterness present. Its more malt forward now of course but its actually a pleasant drink. It really does taste like a red ale now.

Last edited:
In terms of variety and quality? NY has far surpassed them.  

NY is competing with Vermont and Massachusetts.  SD, Denver, and Oregon aren't even in the conversation at this point.

Denver (and, by extension, Colorado) not in the conversation? Maybe if all you know is the big boys like Great Divide, Breck, Oskar Blues and New Belgium.

But our smaller breweries will slay anyone...Casey Brewing & Blending, Crooked Stave, Weldwerks, TRVE, Ratio Beerworks, Our Mutual Friend, Cerebral, Black Project, Odd13, Upslope, Joyride, Hogshead, Ska, Black Bottle, The Post Brewing Co., Odell, Black Shirt, Mockery and Funkwerks are all making all sorts of noise.

I mean, I didn't even step foot into Great Divide's taproom for two years after I moved here.

Between wilds and sours, NE-style IPAs, stouts, any and all things barrel-aged, pilsners, saisons and damn near anything else, I'd take anything from Colorado over anybody else's offering any time.

Last edited:
Anyone else anticipating the upcoming Pliny the Younger release? I've been going to the brewery for this release the past 4 years and it's definitely worth it. But anyways, some Anderson Valley for tonight!

Picked up some goods on the way home from work this am. Orpheus has two very solid double IPA's now after this addition. Transmigration of souls is still my favorite down here in GA.

Sand City/LIC Beer Project release breakdown:

Round 1:

The Whole Shebang. Sand City/LIC collab with Chinook, El Dorado, Equinox, Galaxy. 8.5% Imperial IPA.  Smell on this one is...strange.  Smells like a mix of overripe fruits and blue cheese.  Not a great start. Taste is a little better, but very heavy on the Equinox.  Very earthy/grassy with some fruitiness to help soften the blow.  Mouthfeel and malt bill are status quo for an east coast IPA.  Not awful, but certainly not Sand City or LIC's best.  Only upsetting given their pedigree. 

Round 2: 

Full Monty.  Another Sand City/LIC collab with Citra, Motueka, and Simcoe.  Another 8.5% Imperial IPA.  Now we're talking here. Reminds me of an imperial version of Party Crasher.  Moderately juicy with a medium-full mouthfeel and a nice bready malt bill. Definitely the winner of the two.  Limits were two 4-packs/person on this.  As much as I enjoy this, I'm not sad that the limit was so low.

Round 3:

Second Wave.  Sand City exclusive brewed with Citra, Chinook, Simcoe, and Mosaic. 8.0% Imperial IPA.  This made my list of my top 15 beers of 2016 and nothing has changed. Such a nice juice bomb.  Big peach and stone fruits with mango and papaya.  Mouthfeel is medium and the malt bill gives just enough breadiness and sweetness to play off of the fruit notes from the hops.  Fantastic as usual.

Round 4:

Even Mo Mofo.  Sand City exclusive hopped entirely with Mosaic. 8.5% Imperial IPA.  I've had previous renditions of this and was always very pleased, but never blown away.  This batch changed this.  Much more turbid and juicy.  Big berry and tropical notes.  Malts are there, but don't hold a candle to the juicy notes this beer gives off.  Mouthfeel is fuller than previous batches.  I hope this recipe tweak becomes the norm, because we could very well be looking at one of the best east coast IPAs available right now.  Kicking myself for only buying a 4-pack of this.  Incredible.

Breakdown is as follows:

Even Mo Mofo>Second Wave>Full Monty>The Whole Shebang

Cheers, NT. 
pimp.gif

I've been meaning to ask: I'd like to try some single hopped pale ales to get a better idea how the different hop varieties taste and smell. I know two hearted only uses centennial hops, what are some other good examples?

Apparently Mikkeller SD is doing big thangs right now. An all Galaxy TIPA that they've collab'd with Alpine just canned today and being released Saturday. Then I'm gonna walk right next door for Pure Project's 1st anniversary event.

Hitup Cellarmaker today to get a growler of their Tiny Dankster pale ale. This is tasting real nice right now!

@comparisonFord, you are about to inspire me to step my glassware game up, I never even seen that lic beer project one

Been buying a lot of German beer lately, gotta appreciate the traditional stuff

Apparently Mikkeller SD is doing big thangs right now. An all Galaxy TIPA that they've collab'd with Alpine just canned today and being released Saturday. Then I'm gonna walk right next door for Pure Project's 1st anniversary event.

Devils triangle?

Last edited:

Mikkeller SD did a coffee IPA collab with the punk band Descendents & Dark Matter Coffee that I'm dying to try. But somehow it didn't make it to Colorado (or at least to my usual spot), even though it was supposed to see full distro.

Pick ups for this weekend. Burial hawkbill IPA tasting like fruit juice right now.

i picked up hawkbill last night. hadnt tried it though. been running through burials lineup.

also picked up the white oak jai alai. that was nice.

Last edited:
i picked up hawkbill last night. hadnt tried it though. been running through burials lineup.

also picked up the white oak jai alai. that was nice.

Its good, I like it better than surf wax. I've been seeing a lot of white oak popping up around here, I need to pick some up.

Latest canning from Alvarado Street. Contains No Juice, a double IPA (8% ABV with 35 IBU's) brewed with citra, galaxy and amarillo. Golden promise and flaked barley used as the malts. This is up there with some of the Northeast beers i've had. Straight orange and pineapple juice! The best beer to date from Alvarado. Really glad the west coast is starting to brew these hazy beers.

Last edited:

Due South is a brewery up in in Palm Beach, had their cream ale which I really enjoyed. The citrafied as the name suggests is single hopped. Never had the tangerine IPA so I'm really looking forward to it.

Question: Is it customary for Bottle shops to sell everything by the single? As in, if a beer is $2 a single, a sixer is $12. I suppose it makes sense as this place has a smaller inventory compared to say TW. Their xocoveza sixers were $24.

No sign of the 10% abv, I think I prefer this over blowing up the spot, pretty much just full of different hop flavors from beginning to end

Lots of generous people sharing and trading in line, excited to try all these

^Showed up late to OH for this release.  Just missed out on the Industrial Arts collab.  Kind of bummed, but this beer is certainly softening the blow:

For the folks out there at home that don't know what this is: this is Other Half's 3rd Anniversary Imperial IPA.  10% ABV and hopped with Mosaic, Vic Secret, Wai-iti, Citra, Motueka and Galaxy.  Then Other Half decided to go crazy and dry-hop it 3 additional times with the following:

1st: Citra, Motueka, and Simcoe

2nd: Citra Lupulin Powder and Motueka

3rd: Citra Lupulin Powder and Galaxy

I'm halfway through my first can at the moment and I couldn't be happier with this one.  The 10.2% ABV Monkish collab was exponentially boozier than this. I'm actively seeking out booze or heat on this and I honestly can't find any.  This is straight juice. No syrupy sweetness or mouthfeel, no maltiness.   Drinking absolutely perfect right from the jump.  Other Half has knocked it out of the park every year with their anniversary IPAs with each year being better than the last.  This one is next level. 

Back
Top Bottom