NT: What Credit Card are you using? Vol: Points FTW?

Well actually I'm wondering what suggestions you guys have for a credit card, I just use a regular card from my bank.
And I make payments on time and all that, so i would like a new card to earn some points. So any recommendations NT?

I've got Amex Blue.

Downsides:

- monthly mailers where they tell me that I'm privileged and special and God-like and that maybe I should consider upgrading to a Platinum card that Idon't need.

- it isn't accepted everywhere due to its high processing fee

If you don't plan on putting everything on your card and can deal with tossing out a bit of mail, it's pretty decent.

Otherwise, you might wanna look into a Visa.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I think an AMEX and a Debit Visa card from your bank is all you really need.
Agreed, except mine is MasterCard instead of Visa, same thing though. The debit card is just in those instances that they don't accept AMEX. Istill think AMEX is the best credit card out there.

Yeah I pretty much just have my bank card which doubles as a mastercard, either way I use it debt or credit its automatically taken from my account, and thenthen like others have said I got the gold amex card and I think its pretty good option to have just in case

Anyone have a good credit card to suggest? Right now I only have a debit card (MC). Last time I checked my credit score was before I bought my car and it wasin the high 600's. The only debt I have is my car and the only fixed monthly bills I have are my gym and Unicef donations.

Should I just get a credit card and put those fixed items under it?

Which card should I get? Most of the time I get mailers from WaMu Platinum and AMEX Gold.

Amex Blue Cash:
Details: 5% cash back at gas / grocery / drug stores...1% on everything else. No limit on rewards. Of course this is after 6500 dollars spent on the year. Before that it's 1% g/g/d and 0.5 % on everything else. Rewards redeemable at end of year: 1 year from card opening. Requires reasonably good credit toget approved. We'll call that the big spender card. .

Chase Freedom Visa:
3% cash back on the the 3 categories (of 12 total) where you spend the most money each month. And the program automatically updates categories based on yourspending to maximize your rewards. 1% cash back on everything else. Maximum of $600 of 3% category purchases are eligible per month though. After whicheverything is reduced to the 1%. Good card to have if you don't think you'd hit $6500 in spending until late3rd or 4th quarter of the year. Rewards redeemable at any time **bonus...$50 automatically in cash-back rewards when you make your first purchase witha new Chase freedom visa. ** more bonus...if you wait until $200 worth of cash back rewards to redeem, you get a bonus $50 free.

I swear, I'm such a proponent of both of these cards that you'd think that I got something for recommending them.
roll.gif

I figure: if you are spending money every day of your life, might as well get paid for it. Not making a dollar when you can is as big a financial error in myeyes as blowing money you have earned.

Word of caution: It takes a fair amount of responsibility to manage a CC-only spendingpattern. You must never, ever, ever carry a balance. Carrying a balance will quickly negate all positive windfalls of the card and swing the pendulum infavor of the CC company instead of you. It's important to keep a tab of money spent and how much money you had to begin with that way you don't runinto a situation where you've spent more than you can pay. Even though debit cards have overdrafts...there is a limit to how far you can go under beforeyour card issuer/bank pulls the plug on you. With a CC you can dig yourself a whole as large as your appetite can carve.

Cash back FTW!!!!

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

i have a chase freedom

gotta love the blink feature

I'm not sure how the "blink" feature is anymore easy then just swiping, but at any rate, the card companies tend to want people to do it. For fellow chase freedom cardholders. Here's a way to earn another $10 cash back.

"If you have a Chase Freedom card with Blink, check your latest snail mail! Chase has a special promotion where they encourage people to use the Blink feature of their card. TheBlink is the 'wireless swipe' of the card using the chip on the card.

The promotion in the mail says that if you have three or more Blink transactions from now until June 2008, you will receivean additional $10 cash back bonus or 1000 points, depending on whether you are setup for cash or rewards. You can always switch between the two so it's not anissue."

More Free Money...Sweet.

I use Chase Freedom whether it be at the dollar menu or at the USPS, it's great with the 3% for the top 3 purchases.

I have 2 bofa credit cards. Got me a $50 gift card from any shoe store i wanted because of the points I earned.

good info in here. amex plat and BoA check card for me. looking for the typical "i have a black card" reply
laugh.gif

Using your debit card is stupid.

I only use mine for snacks at work because I have to run 12 signature based transactions a month to get 5.25% on my checking balance.

I use a National City Every Day Rewards card 4%-1% tiers. gas, groceries ect..
Capital One cash back in the daily rotation too.

AMEX Blue is pretty much the best rewards card period if you spend 15k a yr on it.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I think an AMEX and a Debit Visa card from your bank is all you really need.
Agreed, except mine is MasterCard instead of Visa, same thing though. The debit card is just in those instances that they don't accept AMEX. I still think AMEX is the best credit card out there.

co-sign

Back
Top Bottom