NT, when did we start caring so much about others?

Background:
This weekend a friend and I recorded a wedding and on the dance floor there were only little kids. Their dancing wasn't even dancing, just jumping around and spinning. BUT they were having the time of their lives.

So me and him got to talking like "man, you remember when you just did what you wanted?" played in dirt, danced like a fool. rode bikes in the toy aisle. hell, went to the toy aisle.

Now, you go to the club. People don't dance for the fear of all eyes on them. It's like we got scared to have fun.

It's just a rant, I wanted to see if I'm the only one with this thought. 

rj4leb.gif

Self awareness bro. When you were 5 and you cried because something didn't go your way did you stop to think "i'm acting like a little !##%! right now?"

we literally stress ourselves over being cool/ being accepted/ and upholding an image(no shots at whyhellothere).

I'm never embarrassed of what I do in public but, I also know how to keep it at a minimum where I'm not acting ignorant.

“Childhood is measured out by sounds and smell and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows.

I always wonder about this. Sometimes I'll feel like a kid again when you have one of those days where you just literally do you/what you want all day long and not care about the ramifications.
It's like when you grow older you gain a certain amount of freedom to make your own decisions, which kinda brings you back to being a kid by making decisions and not caring.

Dunno if that made any sense.

early childhood egocentricity- at that age you can't or don't really care about how someone else perceives you.

Because we adjust our behavior based on the possible response of others as you get older.

Fear of ridicule, desire for acceptance, and other reasons drive your decisions to act the way you do. Sure, some may have less worry than others and those are the people you see with the ability to let loose and have fun, even if people are mocking... but most of us tailor our behavior to avoid negative attention. The average heterosexual male won't leave the house wearing a pink tank top for fear of others judging him as gay. Men are sometimes worried about driving a "girl's car" for fear that others will judge him as less masculine. The list goes on and on. Some actions people can justify by saying "I wouldn't want to do that anyway", but it's hard to judge what's your true feelings and what's been shaped by society and culture. In America for example, grown men most likely won't greet one another by a cheek kiss, but in other countries, that wouldn't cause any shock, so culture too plays a role.

Cultural standards, social stigmas, your actions being based on others reaction, and so on, all play a role in how we act and live.

Beyond just trying to be accepted, there's also that need people feel to stick to social traditions. I can't show up at a wedding in a t-shirt and sweatpants or I'll get tossed right out. Likewise, I have to carry myself professionally around people such as coworkers and bosses who play a role in my future.

As soon as I'm retired though, I'm never wearing a suit again (unless I absolutely feel like it). Rolling around in a bathrobe or shirtless or something with the music as loud as I want... everyone wants that level of independence from society.

Because it's not in our culture to act like a kid all our lives, gotta grow up sometime. Can't get caught doin somethin stupid or foolish

Originally Posted by Kramer

Because it's not in our culture to act like a kid all our lives, gotta grow up sometime. Can't get caught doin somethin stupid or foolish

You believe doing what you feel irregardless to how others feel about it is childish?

You grow up, but the cool thing about growing up is there's a point where you literally stop giving a damn again.
Majority of it happens to people reaching their 50-60 and so on.
You see a 30 year old bugging out on the dance floor, you think, "The eff is this dude doing?"
Now you see a 70 year old bugging out the same way on the dance floor, you think, "Ya, you get it old man! [Rock clap .gif]"
People love seeing old people doing cray shhh.

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

You grow up, but the cool thing about growing up is there's a point where you literally stop giving a damn again.
Majority of it happens to people reaching their 50-60 and so on.
You see a 30 year old bugging out on the dance floor, you think, "The eff is this dude doing?"
Now you see a 70 year old bugging out the same way on the dance floor, you think, "Ya, you get it old man! [Rock clap .gif]"
People love seeing old people doing cray shhh.

laugh.gif
Word, old people just dont give on +%*@ at all. They walk around naked in the locker rooms and just chill like its all good. I wish I didnt give that kind of +%*@.

And I wish I was 5 or 6 again. Everything is so new and exciting you. Even the simplest of things. Time just goes by slower at that age.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by Kramer

You believe doing what you feel irregardless to how others feel about it is childish?
Sometimes. Can you imagine a 40 yr old wearing zumiez clothes, driving around in a suped up car and graffitiing walls? I mean thats not even childhood stuff, which would probably be even more weird

Back
Top Bottom