NT, Who Works At UPS?

I'm starting this Monday. Package Handler. Mon-Fri 6-10PM.

My boy who works as a package handler pretty much filled me in on the job but I wanted to get some other perspectives on it.

Edit: Post 1337.
pimp.gif

I'm starting this Monday. Package Handler. Mon-Fri 6-10PM.

My boy who works as a package handler pretty much filled me in on the job but I wanted to get some other perspectives on it.

Edit: Post 1337.
pimp.gif

Everyone I've known that has worked there wasn't there for too long. Said it was like slave labor.

Everyone I've known that has worked there wasn't there for too long. Said it was like slave labor.

That's not a bad time, pretty much the same one I started with. But unless you have great coworkers, you'll probably hate it and end up quitting within 6 weeks. There's a reason they have the highest turnover of any Fortune 500 company and thusly are perpetually hiring. On the same hand, that makes it so that if you do last you can progress within the company quickly. My friend who got on, ended up being NightTime Ops manager in something like 6-8 months, had a cushy sit down job in the office trailer while I was busting my %%$ in the extremely cold main building.

That's not a bad time, pretty much the same one I started with. But unless you have great coworkers, you'll probably hate it and end up quitting within 6 weeks. There's a reason they have the highest turnover of any Fortune 500 company and thusly are perpetually hiring. On the same hand, that makes it so that if you do last you can progress within the company quickly. My friend who got on, ended up being NightTime Ops manager in something like 6-8 months, had a cushy sit down job in the office trailer while I was busting my %%$ in the extremely cold main building.

My brother told tales of slave labor, accidents, egotistical supervisors and savages. Good luck.

My brother told tales of slave labor, accidents, egotistical supervisors and savages. Good luck.

There seems to be a good amount of mixed reviews about working at UPS. The HR rep has told us (when I was a perspective employee) many times that a lot of people quit within the first 3 weeks because they just couldn't handle the workload. I'm actually someone who prefers physical/manual labor over something like standing behind the register of a Dunkin Donuts for 10 hours.

There seems to be a good amount of mixed reviews about working at UPS. The HR rep has told us (when I was a perspective employee) many times that a lot of people quit within the first 3 weeks because they just couldn't handle the workload. I'm actually someone who prefers physical/manual labor over something like standing behind the register of a Dunkin Donuts for 10 hours.

i guess i'll give you the real, real
i've been there for 3 1/2 years not...to be honest, physically, it's not that bad...i mean, i grew up playing sports and work out regularly so it's nothing to me...but the mundaneness of doing the same thing every day plus the mental strain can put a lot on you...it's easy to "move up", but if you have dreams of doing other things in life i't pretty much a trap...nice job, amazing benefits, decent pay will keep you down...i'm satisfied working my 4 hours getting my check and bouncing leaving free time to do other things, but if you there for the long haul, you can make it in a good position within months...and like homie above said, if your working with cool people, your more likely to stay around

i guess i'll give you the real, real
i've been there for 3 1/2 years not...to be honest, physically, it's not that bad...i mean, i grew up playing sports and work out regularly so it's nothing to me...but the mundaneness of doing the same thing every day plus the mental strain can put a lot on you...it's easy to "move up", but if you have dreams of doing other things in life i't pretty much a trap...nice job, amazing benefits, decent pay will keep you down...i'm satisfied working my 4 hours getting my check and bouncing leaving free time to do other things, but if you there for the long haul, you can make it in a good position within months...and like homie above said, if your working with cool people, your more likely to stay around

I plan to only work there for a year because I'm currently taking a year off from college. Once this year is up, I'm quitting so I have absolutely no plans of staying there for the long haul.

I plan to only work there for a year because I'm currently taking a year off from college. Once this year is up, I'm quitting so I have absolutely no plans of staying there for the long haul.

I been working at UPS for almost 10 years. The starting pay is $8.50 for new-hires. I could tell you about everything you need to know about this job. You're either unloading or loading trailers. You work for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours a day. When you pass your 30 day probation you join the local union. This job is a physical as it can get. Drink alot of water or you'll pass out from dehydration. Stretch before you start working to avoid the cramps. In the summer time when you're unloading in the trailers it can get up to 100 degrees inside. Takes a year to receive health benefits. They pay up to $3,000 a year for school. The only way to move up is to get promoted to part time supervisor. Full time driving is going to take a long time depending on location. Seniority is a big deal with everybody. I started when I got out of high school and I am still here but it paid off for me. 

I been working at UPS for almost 10 years. The starting pay is $8.50 for new-hires. I could tell you about everything you need to know about this job. You're either unloading or loading trailers. You work for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours a day. When you pass your 30 day probation you join the local union. This job is a physical as it can get. Drink alot of water or you'll pass out from dehydration. Stretch before you start working to avoid the cramps. In the summer time when you're unloading in the trailers it can get up to 100 degrees inside. Takes a year to receive health benefits. They pay up to $3,000 a year for school. The only way to move up is to get promoted to part time supervisor. Full time driving is going to take a long time depending on location. Seniority is a big deal with everybody. I started when I got out of high school and I am still here but it paid off for me. 

Back
Top Bottom