NT: would you convert to another religion to marry your fiance?

The good thing about me is that while I don't believe in a higher being, I don't care enough to waste time/effort arguing or fighting for thatbelief... so it wouldn't be a problem for me (as long as I don't have to do any extra work under this religion).

Atheism + apathy FTW!
pimp.gif

Religion is like eating healthy...

Doesn't hurt....

Yes I would conform to her thoughts if she was a woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

Those who don't believe in God should have no problem with it either...

Originally Posted by bangtcg

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

im an atheist, but if the love of my life wants me to be christian or whatever, i would tell her yes, however, i would fake it.
So you'd live your whole life as a lie
short answer: yes.

i dont give a crap about religion. its absurd and magical. i dont believe in magic or the supernatural. im not bothered by lying for a greater good. i wont have a problem with that at all. as long as my signicant other cares for me, i will do the same for her. its like playing along with a kid who believes in santa. sure ill believe in santa as long as the kid behaves.

Harsh
laugh.gif

Now here's what i've always wondered because i never see it the other way around, why does the man have to convert to the woman's religion if theywant to get married. Why cant she convert...

What dude said about religion only dividing people is partly true. Me personally I would not convert, because religion isn't a toy/object to be passedaround so freely like it's not even there. Even for a person who doesn't believe in religion/God(s) shouldn't do it because although it might notmean a thing since they don't believe in it, it's kind of disrespectful if your converting to your spouse's religion just for getting married'ssake and don't give a crap about what your spouse believes in, you'll only end up with with a sack of more problems.

If you love someone and they reciprocate that same love then there should be an underlying understanding regarding each other's religion. When you havechildren you should explain what your religions are to them and the others that are out there and let them choose for themselves.

i wouldn't convert for the simple fact that, if you met a person and you knew what religion they were and still started to date them why would you try andchange them now that you want to get married? if a person is good enough to date they should be good enough to marry no matter what religion. with the divorcerate being as high as it is there is no guarantee that the marriage will last anyways. in my opinion if religion is so important i would think that peoplewould choose to to begin dating someone who was already of the same religion.

I was raised Catholic and now I'm a non-believer. But no way. Religion shouldn't be important in a union. And if it is when raising children. Well thenthere should be a thorough discussion. I know people who converted to get married. Know a dude who went from Catholic to Greek Orthodox. There either has to besome type of middle ground found. I mean if you love the person, then their religion should be the last thing on the agenda no?

No, but it would be a non issue. While I am not religious and have no problem with it, I would not want to date someone who was overtly religious. So it'dnever get to the point of possible marriage.

To the OP, I am not sure if your hinting towards Islam but, A person must never embrace Islam solely for the purpose of getting married to aMuslim. Islam does not sanction such conversions. However, if anyone says the Shahadah, then we accept his or her conversion even though his or her intentionmight be impure.

Originally Posted by Si3xers55

my cousin is gonna have to do this in order to get married. to be honest i dont know if id do it, i dont think i could be a muslim. praying 5 times a day ftl
Is your cousin marrying a Muslim?

And as far as the prayer goes, it is really not that hard. Each preayer only takes up about 5-10 mins of your time.

Originally Posted by ReliantJ

im an atheist, but if the love of my life wants me to be christian or whatever, i would tell her yes, however, i would fake it.
So you'd live your whole life as a lie just cause someone who says they love you doesn't love you the way you are? Come on Now

& to answer No I would not convert. Me & my last girlfriend broke up because I wouldnt believe in jesus, let alone god. And after that I am really suspect about getting in relationships with girls who have religion. I have to see how open minded they are.
You wouldn't play along for some poontang
laugh.gif

Nah g it wasn't worth it to me. I have to wake up every morning and become something I'm not. I havent met poontang that good yet where it could counteract me hating myself.
scotthall u got it right brother. I'm not even religious, but I couldn't fake it just to be with a chick. I couldn't live with myselfknowing, I'm lying to myself about a belief system I absolutely don't believe in. Plus if it's for the yussy, religion never comes up with me inthat discussion.

^^^ what the F...lol...some of you dudes are hilarious...

But yeah I would if I loved her enough knowing her religion beforehand you'd know it could become a problem other wise...why not?

That episode of Curb your enthusiasm where larry saves the jewish guy from drowning when he was actually getting baptized to convert to christianity was sogood. the whole jewish family was calling larry a hero for making sure he doesnt convert.
roll.gif

Yeah, if I'm going to marry her, why not… If I couldn't bring myself to do something like convert for the girl, then I probably shouldn't bemarrying her in the first place. If she had some wildly radical faith or faith I fundamentally have a problem with I think that would come up way before Ithought about marrying her.

what kind of question is this?
No disrespect but you might as well because if you are willing to even consider this you are not as devout to your religion as you thought, which is a shame.And if you get married based on her getting you to change your religion your whole marriage is already set up where she is the boss.
change religion. BAHHHHHH

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

I'm a terrible catholic. I could go to sleep during mass and wake up during a baptist mass and not realize the difference.

roll.gif

I would know the difference, but I know what your saying. I'm a Catholic, but haven't been to church in probably over 10 years. I still pray andbelieve 100% in God, but after the Priest doing what they do
wink.gif
, and thehigher ups sweeping it under the rug, I lost all faith in the Catholic Church.

But, I still wouldn't convert to another religion. Don't know why.

I wouldn't cuz I think religion is something that goes beyond marriage and shouldn't be flipped flopped becuz of who u wanna be wit...also if a chickgonna force me to change my religion in order to marry her, then I need not be wit her...

Back
Top Bottom