NT, your methods to saving money?

Great job OP, I only wish I was saving at that age

All that I do is save all change and dollar bills I come in the house with. I got a wine jug that I keep filled with change. Sometimes I will dump five dollarbills in, makes it add up faster.

if you want to save for the future...like 5-10 years down the road, that's good...

but if you are looking to save for retirement already (which is recommended), start a Roth IRA.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by jthagreat

. OK how the hell are people getting these "for sure" 8% annual returns? I dont get it.
They're looking at the statistic average over a 5-10 yr period..where the stock market has consistently given an avg 10-12% gain. -- Index funds

and btw.
So i just (bout the last 3 years) came in at a bad time huh?

it all comes back to what I posted in my 1st reply...saving is only the 1st half of the equation... the 2nd half is having a plan for that money.

if your plan with that money is to need it within 5 yrs... just stick it in savings..
if you can live without it long term 5-10yrs+.... put it into a real investment vehicle

laugh.gif
And you wanted to quit your job because?

Since I have been home for the summer (almost two whole months now), I've spent only $40 on myself (two shirts). Other than that, I've been walkingmore rather than taking public transportation, eating at home so I don't have to eat when I go out the house. I really haven't contributed to thisthread but I thought I'd share my situation since I have no income right now.

What im trying to do nowadays is to stash away small bills ASAP.

You spend $1, $5, and $10 bills like its nothing, for little things, cause why? Its only a dollar or two, $5? Big deal psh...

IT ADDS UP!!!

Whenever I get change from breaking a $20 I immediately stash that somewhere, by the end of the week imma have collected $20-$40 in small bills.
Not eating alot out at restaurants, a meal at a fast food spot is the same price as one dish at Uno's.
laugh.gif
Plus tip and dessert?
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Lazy B

laugh.gif

Since I have been home for the summer (almost two whole months now), I've spent only $40 on myself (two shirts). Other than that, I've been walking more rather than taking public transportation, eating at home so I don't have to eat when I go out the house. I really haven't contributed to this thread but I thought I'd share my situation since I have no income right now.
I had to bump this cuz I literally lol'ed at "$40" in 2 months
eek.gif
. I wanted to quit, but things are looking up for the moment. Igot a raise, ol' lazy b (pun intended) is about to get axed, so my hours should increase.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Originally Posted by Lazy B

laugh.gif

Since I have been home for the summer (almost two whole months now), I've spent only $40 on myself (two shirts). Other than that, I've been walking more rather than taking public transportation, eating at home so I don't have to eat when I go out the house. I really haven't contributed to this thread but I thought I'd share my situation since I have no income right now.
I had to bump this cuz I literally lol'ed at "$40" in 2 months
eek.gif
. I wanted to quit, but things are looking up for the moment. I got a raise, ol' lazy b (pun intended) is about to get axed, so my hours should increase.

Yeah, I can't believe it either but right now I can't satisfy my wants unless I have some extra change to throw around. I saved on transportationbecause I haven't had to go to the city much and when I used my MetroCard I made sure to use the transfer so that I didn't come out of my pockets.Going to school away from home definitely taught me a lesson or two in budgeting and saving money. $4200 saved by the end of the year is amazing. You took theyear off from school right?

This might sound crazy...

I withdraw money from the bank and just leave it in my wallet or drawer. Works for me b/c I mainly usecards.

right now because i am stuck in a dead end crap salary job, i just try to save 10% if possible. some paychecks it is more, some less.

until a better job comes along and/or i finish college, as long as i stay out of debt with some savings, i wont be too disappointed.

hope to save enough money to buy a car next year when my insurance rates go down (nyc rates smh).

I have two savings accounts, a 401k, a CD, and a checking account. Okay so here is the break down of what I do with each paycheck I put 10% in SA 1(which Inever touch), I put 10% in my 401k which has a 50% employer match, my cd just has money exxon and google stock that I sold off, I put 20% in SA 2, and finallyI put 60% in my CA which is my regular spending account. I do spend some of the money from my SA 2 because I use it to buy things like a new snowboard etc.,and my CA is more for regular purchases like groceries, bills, entertainment etc. Every 6mos I take 10% of my total SA 2 saving and buy savings or municipalbonds. I can only do this now because I have very few expenses. I realize alot of people can't but if you can save 10-20% that's good

My mom gives me 5 bucks for lunch every day. I just use one dollar and thats already 20 bones in one week Lol

id say your doing well...
i wish i was about my savings like i used to be...paying off all my cc's, and getting a whip effectively destroyed my savings
ah well ...itll get back up there ....eventually

Just think your broke

I save better with money orders, every payday I go to the post office and get a $500 money order

I also have a savings account with a CU that's about a hour from my house, so I can't just go and get money easily

The bills I have are my rent, cellphone bill, and power bill

So I always end up blowing money

I usually save half of my paychecks (300) ....I also save 80$ from my Mother weekly, and 60$ from my Father Weekly. So total around 1100 a month in savings.

Once my savings gets to 1'000 I always invest.

its easy for me ive been caddying for 7 summers now and since im in college i get a 900 dollar a semester scholarship (comes in check form)

but anyways i caddy and then with some of the money i buy things from the goodwill and thrift stores and if i find something really valuable i sell it and thenspend that money at the goodwill

i have always been a pretty cheap person that comes from my dad because he had nothing growing up sleeping outside because he didnt have ac and such and now hemakes a lot of money being a pain management doctor....

he always tells me im not where im at today because of spending money
so there you have it

Back
Top Bottom