NT! Your opinion on: Mos Def & Talib Kweli?

I know everyone can agree that these 2 individuals are much better as a duo than being solo but a couple of days ago, me and a couple of my friends got into a debate as to which one was the better MC. So I just wanted to pose this question to NT and get your opinion on the matter. Which one is the better MC and why? Examples, Lyrics, etc. to support your argument will be appreciated.

Mos Def is one of the most talented MC's to ever touch a mic. He just goes off on tangents too much.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by AiRodney23

Mos Def by far.
Ref.
"Thieves In The Night" 2nd verse

Black On Both Sides > ANY Kweli solo album (including Train Of Thought)
Basically.

This makes me wonder is there any duo/group where it's pretty much agreed that both of the MCs are equal? I know ppl have favs but all I can think of is Outkast.

I don't like taking one over the other or anything, and its obvious that they work so much better as a duo, but I'll break some of my thoughts down.

Train of Thought > Black on Both Sides (just barely)

But Travellin Man > any song either have done solo. And "For Women" is one of the best rap songs I've ever heard. Travellin Man...that's just a classic song right there.

Mos Def easily. IMO, he's one of the best. The way he harmonizes on tracks is ill as well (peep his verse on Stephen Marley's Hey Baby). Kweli is nice in his own regard, but one thing that irks me about him sometimes is his flow...it seems like he tries to squeeze in too many words in some bars. But anyway, they need to make a new BlackStar album asap.

Talib IMO.. but i'm biased because Quality is one of my all-time favorites.. after that i like Black Star more than all their solo albums.

Mighty Mos IMO, he's just so talented on the mic. Talib maximizes his potential, his catalogue is top notch

Not only can Talib not ride a beat, his flow isn't smooth at all..Dude sounds like he's trying WAY too hard sometimes..Mos's flow is like water..

I like both of them. I can't really pick (shrugs). When kweli gets together with hi-tek it's also a problem. Lately, I been listening to jay elec hard (pause)

Originally Posted by backpacker23

I like both of them. I can't really pick (shrugs). When kweli gets together with hi-tek it's also a problem. Lately, I been listening to jay elec hard (pause)

Yeah. I had this same feeling. I gues it really depends on the day and my mood. Like some days I'd listen to Mos and some days I would just listen to Talib. I feel like I like Talib more as an MC and I like Mos more as an artist and his delivery.

If you asked me this question before 1999, I would say Talib. But from then to the point that Mos released his second solo, I would take Mos.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by AiRodney23

Mos Def by far.
Ref.
"Thieves In The Night" 2nd verse

Black On Both Sides > ANY Kweli solo album (including Train Of Thought)

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

That and go listen to The Ecstatic. I slept on that album for a minute and slapped myself for doing so once I gave it a thorough listen.

EDIT: Anyone else feel like Jay shouting out Talib instead of Mos was a sneak dis?
laugh.gif
I was kind of hurt over that.

Back
Top Bottom