NTers 24+....Suits...I needs help on them...where do I go, what do I look for?

roll.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
illsteelo is a good sport
pimp.gif

But seriously though I've been trying to find just a good fitting slim suit, those jcrew joints are too skinny imo.

Even Burlington Coat Factory has nice suits. black, dk grey, or dk blue suits are all you need. Can't go wrong w/ either one. So versatile

Originally Posted by Retro23J

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Oh. and I needed a suit within a week back in December so I went to Jos A Bank. Talked them down to a nice price and after alterations it came out okay.
Most people don't recommend places like that and Mens Warehouse though
Jos. A Banks is much nicer than Mens Warehouse. I go there 'cus my boy hooks me up with 70% off suits and 50% off shirts and if I get a suit he only charges me for alterations on the pants. Got a $895 and a $595 suit and two $100 dress shirts for under $600 after alterations. 
Jos. A Banks online is the only way I'll buy suits from them. They always have crazy discounts on their suits and shirts, like this weekend they have 50% off everything and 60% off the second item. Then when it arrives, just take it to the closest store for alterations.
Yup. The markup on suits is insane. 
Next time I get a suit though I'm bringing in a picture of like Ryan Gosling or something so they can truly know what I'm looking for. 
laugh.gif

crazy-stupid-love_240.jpg

Swag on a trillion. 
pimp.gif

That's a nice suit K steezy posted but nothing you should wear in the office (color wise)
laugh.gif
. Fit is straight but as others have said it depends on your build. It's the 2000s slim/modern is in, baggy suits are out. Doesn't mean it should be skin tight but a great fit. And brand names don't really matter it's all about how you put it together.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

alright so i'm really trying to get my grown man on and I have enough street clothes, now I need to invest in some suits...right now...here's my logic:

light grey suit - weddings, formal events
charcoal suit - interviews, working
navy suit - interviews, weddings
black suit - working

Someone school me...i'm looking for some nice fitting suits in the $400-500 range each...I got a family event in May, I got a wedding in Tampa in August, I start grad school in Sept so I needz some advice.

I was gonna try Express, Macys, Banana, Top Shop, and uniqlo....

Thanks for the advice
Ok

you seem very new.

Black suit is your most formal suit. I remember some hedge fund guy told me best, "I shouldn't catch you wearing black before 6pm unless you are at a wedding"

Save the black suits for weddings, funerals, and dinners.
Everything else is fine.

Originally Posted by 0cks

If you need a suit for work in a professional environment, you prolly don't want anything from H&M, Express, or J Crew... those are better for New Years parties, Weddings or "high-end" Clubs.

But this is NT where everything is in extremes... if it's not wetsuit tight then it must be a "Choppa suit"
eyes.gif

(those Steve Harvey suits with +4 buttons are useless unless you're a deacon or pastor at a black church in the south)
Completely agree with everything said, for a work suit go with a "classic" well fitting suit.  For a suit you will wear to formal events, or if you plan to use a jacket as a blazer you can play with fits ("modern"/"slim").  Same with pants and how you taper/hem them.
Personally, I'm a big fan of Nordstrom Rack and finding a good tailor you are comfortable with (I have 2).  I've found a couple of steals at NR, I love the ludlow line at JCrew, but suits seem to be built for guys with Jimmy Fallon type builds.  I have issues with the way their shoulders "fit".  Also, I've come up on a couple of Banana Republic suits during F&F events.  I love how BR sales and F&F coupons always stack.  On my way back from LV, got an email from BR about a F&F, stopped at the outlet got a grey suit and four ties for under $200.  

Remember, only suckers pay retail.

I suggest going to marshalls. They have nice suits that will look great. I found a 3600 Tom Ford for $299.

Especially look in marshalls where you might think their customers might not wear suits. Those places are piff.

If you live on either coast this might be hard. Im in Houston, folk down here dont wear it until they Arabs pick it up or they see it on TV.

Jcrew stuff while expensive is still made in china.

Originally Posted by quik1987

4 button? what is this 2001?

2001?  Unless you were getting drafted in the NBA that year, pretty sure 4 buttons were just as ridiculous 10+ years ago

Originally Posted by 0cks

If you need a suit for work in a professional environment, you prolly don't want anything from H&M, Express, or J Crew... those are better for New Years parties, Weddings or "high-end" Clubs.

But this is NT where everything is in extremes... if it's not wetsuit tight then it must be a "Choppa suit"
eyes.gif

(those Steve Harvey suits with +4 buttons are useless unless you're a deacon or pastor at a black church in the south)

False.

I work at an investment bank and a lot of bankers (including myself) wear tight suits.

Originally Posted by artysm

Originally Posted by quik1987

4 button? what is this 2001?

2001?  Unless you were getting drafted in the NBA that year, pretty sure 4 buttons were just as ridiculous 10+ years ago

You right it was hot in like the late 90s

laugh.gif
@ him hyping up K&G. That was the place back in high school when you needed a cheap suit for Homecoming but you gotta upgrade if you're trying to buy your first REAL suits. Like mentioned, getting it tailored is so important. And look on Yelp reviews for legit tailors, not just the in-store ones.

When you try on a jacket in stores, make sure the shoulders fit properly because everything else can be altered by your tailor but messing with the shoulders will cost you a lot. As for the pants, just make sure the seat is comfortable. If the waist doesn't fit, the tailor can easily let it out/in as long as there is still room

Originally Posted by ill steelo

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by illwill8710

Fit Pics
nerd.gif
you think it really matter?
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Even Dirty goin at me
laugh.gif

Here they are, excuse the mirror

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]

Not as bad as I thought. These suits are necessary for the black church and nothing else. But I would recommend less buttons and less pockets.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

you think it really matter?
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Even Dirty goin at me
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]

Not as bad as I thought. These suits are necessary for the black church and nothing else. But I would recommend less buttons and less pockets.
I don't even know where people buy these suits.

4 buttons?

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Even Dirty goin at me
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]

I don't even know where people buy these suits.

4 buttons?
The back of Joy's trunk in Baby Boy.

Back
Top Bottom