NTers that drive in snow

need help from NTers that be drivin in the snow

goin boarding this week
happy.gif
but there's a big storm rolling into socalso looks like i may need chains or cables
frown.gif

what chains or cables do you use? my car is not lowered but i do have a bit of a clearance issue

i got an audi A6, any input is mucho appreciated, been trying to find info on this but not much luck
ohwell.gif

here is a pic of the a6 i talkin about (not actual pics of mine but same car)

i assume i will need cables but not sure what kind, any input is mucho appreciated

I don't think you'd need cables with quattro. I drive my A4 in NY winters with All Season tires without any issues. If you feel unsure then just investin a set of snow tires.

you dont need chains or cables unless you're like in some crazy off road snow type of deal.

you need good tires. ease up on your brakes...use lower gears to slow down...and maintain a decent distance from the car in front of you.

If your worried about the weather get some chains, but you shouldn't need them unless the weather is bad. Never hurts to have them though.
Increase your follow distance.
Ease on the brakes, predict stops when you can.
If you start to slide let off the gas, don't touch the brakes, and steer in the direction you want to go. Chances are hitting the brakes will only makethings worse.

I have never heard of chains on a daily driver like that. Grew up around Park City and Salt Lake City and they usually keep those roads to the resorts clearedout man.

Keep it in a lower gear and don't think you're superman.

roll.gif
chains and cables!

just drive slow.

Originally Posted by Nktran001

Wonder how OP would react driving up here in MI during winter.

laugh.gif
wouldnt last...be one of the many ppl i see in the ditch every week.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

you dont need chains or cables unless you're like in some crazy off road snow type of deal.

you need good tires. ease up on your brakes...use lower gears to slow down...and maintain a decent distance from the car in front of you.

this

word for word

make sure you wash ur ride when you come back ...underbody and all, or else rust will get into your audi
sick.gif

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

on point! i just lived in alaska where we had winter for 9 months. never had chains or cables. only a front wheel drive vehicle and good tires.

I don't know why ya'll are
laugh.gif
. I think he is going up to themountains.

You need to check the road conditions. Sometimes roads are closed and they will put out notices that you need chains to drive up or else you will get aticket.

I don't think he wants them to cruise on the freeway
laugh.gif

goin boarding this week
Boarding = Mountains

At least in SoCal.

Just go to a Sports Chalet, donate your shoes for the people in Haiti and buy yourself some chains.

Here are the road conditions if you plan on going to Big Bear/Snow Sumit

[table][tr][td]3 Ways to Big Bear - Highway 330/18 from San Bernardino through Running Springs ("Front Way") is the shortest and most direct route. Highway 38 from Redlands ("Back Way") is the best route when leaving the Valley on weekends and holidays. Highway 18 from Lucerne Valley ("Desert Way") is best in snowy weather.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hwy. 330 / 18: (Running Springs) [/td] [td]Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drives with snow tires. Most traveled[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hwy. 38: (Redlands) [/td] [td]Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drives with snow tires. Less traveled[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hwy. 18: (Lucerne Valley) [/td] [td]Open with no chain requirements. Least traveled

All vehicles including 4-wheel and All-wheel drives must always carry chains when traveling to the mountains during winter months.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

With AWD you will be fine... Won't even notice it. And to whoever said you dislike driving in fresh powder... I disagree with that completely. I'drather it be fresh and soft than packed and icy. But that's probably in part do to my truck/tires.
n1232386162_30021773_520.jpg

BTW my bro has an AWD Subie and he's never had any problems at all driving over the pass.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

laugh.gif
. I think he is going up to the mountains.

You need to check the road conditions. Sometimes roads are closed and they will put out notices that you need chains to drive up or else you will get a ticket.

laugh.gif

goin boarding this week
Boarding = Mountains

At least in SoCal.

yessir
smokin.gif

when they are required they literally have a highway patrol dude posted in the middle of the street making each vehicle put them on. run into this problemevery year, it never rains in socal but on the day i plan to go there's somehow a blizzard. last year got turned around by an avalanche, could not believeit
indifferent.gif

where all you guys live where they don't require chains when it snowing? i wish it was like that here, wouldn't mind a lil slidin here & there,especially in the quattro
tongue.gif

Dude said Chains and cables tho
laugh.gif
U can tell u've never been anywhere north of SoCal that has snow. Drivin in the snow or rain isn't as serious asppl make it out to be. Just alter ur drive to adapt to the weather conditions. If u know it's gon be slippery don't wait an extra 5 secs to hit thebreaks or turn at a speed u normally would turn on

Originally Posted by jbone427

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

laugh.gif
. I think he is going up to the mountains.

You need to check the road conditions. Sometimes roads are closed and they will put out notices that you need chains to drive up or else you will get a ticket.

laugh.gif

goin boarding this week
Boarding = Mountains

At least in SoCal.
yessir
smokin.gif

when they are required they literally have a highway patrol dude posted in the middle of the street making each vehicle put them on. run into this problem every year, it never rains in socal but on the day i plan to go there's somehow a blizzard. last year got turned around by an avalanche, could not believe it
indifferent.gif

where all you guys live where they don't require chains when it snowing? i wish it was like that here, wouldn't mind a lil slidin here & there, especially in the quattro
tongue.gif

yea, lotta folks don't know they're required and checked by highway patrol in the mountains on unplowed mountain roads. you can pick up aset of cables for around 30 bucks and return them if you don't end up using them.

Back
Top Bottom