NTers who joined from 1999 to 2002....come in here real quick.

I've been visiting NT daily since I was in junior high (2001-02), but didn't join until 2006.

I say I still love sneakers. I'll visit blogs and check out the sneaker forums (besides JB), but I've pretty much relegated my purchases to past releases I couldn't get because I was young with the occasional new release here and there.

I don't care nearly as much as I used to.. But I still cop from time to time.

After I get Royals the only shoes I will be purchasing are running shoes or if a pair that I already own gets destroyed.

The game is in shambles :smh:

Actually about to sell a few more pairs that I never wear since nowadays I basically only wear 1 good pair a week other than my runners

I pick up only OG colorways of a few models but I don't stress it if I strike out.. as sad as it is, I don't mind a paying a few extra dollars to avoid the stress of release dates.

Bots have seriously taken the joy out of sneaker releases.

I remember the days when you could wake up and go to the mall around noon and pick up the latest retro in your size with no hassle.

Yeah there was camping but that was only for super rare sneakers i.e. Supreme Dunk's, Pharrell Dunk's, etc.

I remember when Jordan's came out on school days, some people skipped school but you could usually go in that afternoon and cop with ease.

Seriously, what happened.. :smh:

I have not been here long at all, but just wanted to throw in some thought from a newbie. I seriously wish I had been into sneakers back in the 2000s, can't get crap for retail now a days. I just got into buying sneakers this year, and I can't get any Jordan's that I like. I can't imagine prices getting better either. People just want to try and hoard as many shoes as they can just to say they have them. I got offered cash for my beat up kobe 8 silvers today, while I was sitting down in a library , lol.

Also, what I forgot to say was that for me at least, the prices are getting to high to collect the shoes. I like kd 4s because they were cheap enough to but several of.

Main issue for me nowadays as opposed to back in the day is I have much more responsibilities as opposed to then when I was in high school. Also, the declining quality and increasing prices have turned me off to the more popular releases. I'm not buying anything I can't get online or without having to wake up early to get.

This thread makes me want to go to The Jordan Brand forum. Haven't been there in years. Brings back lots of memories.

For me it went from Jordans, to AF1's, to Dunk SBs + Jordans, Air Maxes + Jordans, then only Air Maxes and Kobe's for basketball.

Now i'm in the strictly AM/Flyknits/Roshe crew. Sticking with the runners, so much more comfy with so much less hype. And the occasional Kobe purchases for basketball.

For me it went from Jordans, to AF1's, to Dunk SBs + Jordans, Air Maxes + Jordans, then only Air Maxes and Kobe's for basketball.

Now i'm in the strictly AM/Flyknits/Roshe crew. Sticking with the runners, so much more comfy with so much less hype. And the occasional Kobe purchases for basketball.
Strong username/post ratio.

Wore my patent leather 1's the other day at the mall and had about 5 people asking me when the release date was and how they were mad bc they forgot about them coming out lol.

Wore my patent leather 1's the other day at the mall and had about 5 people asking me when the release date was and how they were mad bc they forgot about them coming out lol.

:lol:

I have not been here long at all, but just wanted to throw in some thought from a newbie. I seriously wish I had been into sneakers back in the 2000s, can't get crap for retail now a days. I just got into buying sneakers this year, and I can't get any Jordan's that I like. I can't imagine prices getting better either. People just want to try and hoard as many shoes as they can just to say they have them. I got offered cash for my beat up kobe 8 silvers today, while I was sitting down in a library , lol.

I think a lot of us took it for granted [shrug]

And yeah, people just buy to say they have it, to take pics or trade for something else.

This happens to me with some AF1s, although much less than it used to now that the AF1 hype train is nearly empty.  People give me the crazy eyes when I tell them they dropped over a decade ago.  
laugh.gif

I had some kid wearing the suns 8s tell me that my chrome 8s were fake. Just said, "ok" and kept it moving. This was last weekend.

Remember when you could buy used sneakers for LESS than when they were new?
got some vnds cool grey iv's for $120 shipped some years back

I remember green bean and olive 5s going for $80-100 ds cause nobody wanted em. shame how things changed. I also remember how the whole baseball/basketball card and comic book thing went...I knew this sneaker thing couldn't last forever without being bastardized 

Remember when you could buy used sneakers for LESS than when they were new?
I laugh at any post that says VNDS for a shoe then have the audacity to charge over retail for said shoe. That thought process is so backwards to me. But some are so thirsty, the pay the asking price keeping that nonsense going.

I had some kid wearing the suns 8s tell me that my chrome 8s were fake. Just said, "ok" and kept it moving. This was last weekend.
How times have changed. Suns 8's seems more like a faked cw.

The Spizike (first ones were hot red/green/black) and the Fusion's were the beginning of the end :lol:

The Spizike (first ones were hot red/green/black) and the Fusion's were the beginning of the end
laugh.gif
No offense but this statement does not make sense to me. Spizikes and fusions didn't hurt anything anything or signal an end to the sneaker culture. Most OG heads thought they were hideous, yeah. But limited releases paired with more exposure and demand were the beginning of the end.

I also was a transplant from Nikepark. I was just looking at pictures at the time. I got my first real Jordans with the 15s in the 9th grade. Mom finally caved in and got me real Jordans, and not Jumpmans as long as I was getting good grades. I lurked NT for a while before signing up. The vibe back then was way different. The members were generally older, where as now there's a lot of kids here trying to get some "LOLZ". The members were very helpful and always looked out for one another. The term 'heat' has killed the subculture and Nike has taken full advantage by releasing limited garbage and kids eat it up. I still buy the retros I like, most are in the OG colorways, but I dare not pay those atrocious prices resellers ask. It's not that serious to me, especially since I can wear sneakers 3 times a week max anyway.

The members who worked at Champs, Footlocker, etc. used to look out for the locals too when they had the F&F sale. I'm not sure if this type of moral boosting activities still exist on the board.

It is interesting because I saw the whole 'hypebeast' thing formed from the start. I remember the Nike Dunk SBs. No one wanted them at first. There were skater NTers who copped them to skate in and trashed them because they were so cheap when on sale. All of a sudden, the values skyrocketed and dudes were going nuts. Dudes would arrive at local skateboard shops on delivery dates trying to see what stuff came out that they can flip :lol: When I saw Supreme Dunks and the likes selling for around $1k, I thought that had to be the climax. I never thought there would be a day Nikes would go for several grands, like they do now.

I agree that a lot of the colorways that drop now would've been variants back 10 years ago...Cav 4s, and the 'reverse Concord' 11 lows come to mind. I also remember that 'lining up' meant going to the store 15-20 mins before it opened to ensure you get yours. And this was only for the retro 11s that were $125 and if your boy is an employee, that's 30% off. Everything else pretty much made it to a sale. I copped those black/royal AJ1 for something like $50 because they sat so long. I guess they released again recently as a quickstrike and price is now more than double :lol:

Back then, dudes just go after the shoes they wanted. It may be the AJ 4 or some old school Barkleys they have to hunt on eBay. I still remember the homie shawno AKA 'Damn its me" picking me up to go get kicks when I couldn't drive. Also met a gang of cool cats at the various LA summits. I wish I had more pictures, but I believe this was the 2nd one. I know it was around 2001 because I was wearing the black/red 11s :lol: I too refuse to call them 'bred' or any of the asinine nicknames the kids use now. The first submit I attended was at Balboa Park. Cats actually balled for a while :lol: :pimp:

View media item 592224View media item 592225

Is that Ben Baller I see in the first pic?

The Spizike (first ones were hot red/green/black) and the Fusion's were the beginning of the end :lol:
No offense but this statement does not make sense to me. Spizikes and fusions didn't hurt anything anything or signal an end to the sneaker culture. Most OG heads thought they were hideous, yeah. But limited releases paired with more exposure and demand were the beginning of the end.

I agree. Its the limited releases and online bs that's really messing up the situation for oldheads.

Hybrids may have watered down the image of the brand to some people, but they did nothing but distract newcomers and make it easier for us to get our retros.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom