NT'ers with motorcycles....Need some advice.

Yo, I just completed day one of this two day motorcycle class. Everything is cool but I don't feel entirely comfortable shifting gears yet. Is thissomething that comes with time?

I really don't understand why 1st is all the way at the bottom...wouldn't it make more sense if it was N-1-2-3-4-5 versus 1-N-2-3-4-5?

I also need to get a better feel for the clutch, I stalled out like 30 times today....
laugh.gif

Other than that, it was a cool experience.

I got a quad. It's pretty much the same besides the balancing act, though. Anyways, the shifting will come with time. First day out with my ATV I stalledit trying to get it in reverse.
laugh.gif
But, don't try to rush it, and don't try messin' with wheelies and !@@ until you get a solid feeling forshifting.

Also, the gear scheme is nice. It's a lot easier just to keep clicking down until it stops than to count. Especially if your gear lights are broken.
mad.gif

Im taking my class in November cant wait. But my bro has been riding for about a year and has two bikes so hes teaching me on one while hes down visiting. Ilearned everything quick. Im also uncomfortable with shift though. But i know it will pass because i felt the same way while learning manual in car. I justcant wait to hit the streets!!!! Do you have a Bike? IF ya dont what are you looking at getting? I have an 2003 Suzuki Gsxr 600.

Nah, I don't have a bike yet. I leave for Italy in 2 weeks, figured I'd get something nice over there.

The reason 1st it at the bottom is because when in stop and go traffic it makes it easy to find the start gear. if it was one up every time you stop you wouldtake forever trying to find the gear and get hit from behind or fall trying to ride in N.

you will not come out of the basic MS class ready to ride on the street they give you the safety, theory, and basics you need to just know, how the bike worksand what to look for on the streets. You will get the hang of it about a month after having you own bike just to get lean angles down, acceleration etc thatcomes with having something new just like a car. Just stay geared up and make sure if ride on the streets str8 out of class its a quiet street low speed under45, and that you be aware of the cars around you until you get the hang of it.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

Yo, I just completed day one of this two day motorcycle class. Everything is cool but I don't feel entirely comfortable shifting gears yet. Is this something that comes with time?

I really don't understand why 1st is all the way at the bottom...wouldn't it make more sense if it was N-1-2-3-4-5 versus 1-N-2-3-4-5?

I also need to get a better feel for the clutch, I stalled out like 30 times today....
laugh.gif

Other than that, it was a cool experience.
No when you are at a stop light you will see why. If you didn't drive a manual transmission before shifting will come easy within a week orso. What kind of bike do you have? Sport or cruiser....

You get used to the bike over time, it took me a week or so after I got my bike to get a feel for it in which i stalled numerous times, dont fret, I wouldrecommend not hitting the streets till you do so tho

laugh.gif
.....itcomes with time my man. You will be good my dude after you get some time under your belt. got to crawl before you can walk.

1st Gear is Down to make it easier to know at what gear you on ..
You probably will say that if N was the last gear it be the same but no it wouldnt TRUST me ..
The bike stalls because you are afraid is going to jump at you .. just give it a little more gas .. the best way to get use to your clutch is to sit down andplay with it .. let it go to the point that it dies do it a few times and eventually you know when the bike its going to need more gas to get going .... youcan also adjust your cluth to your liking ..

Im mad because i lost a deal today .. GSXR 750 2007 w/4500 miles for $5500 and was a few hours late .. UGH!

...just leave it in 1st with your clutch down at a stop.
seems natural to me. i mean in a stick car, neutral isn't your "first" gear or the top left of the shifter box.

oh and please, don't be a squid.
tired.gif

I start the on bike classes November 4th...I can't wait...

I was thinking about getting a 08 Honda CBR 600. That was, until I stumbled upon a site with freak accidents and deaths...

So I'll stick with trying to get a 250 ninja until I outgrow it...

Care to elaborate?...

Originally Posted by Questions03

I was thinking about getting a 08 Honda CBR 600. That was, until I stumbled upon a site with freak accidents and deaths...

Care to elaborate?...

squid...= no gear or little to none.
biker term.

Originally Posted by SkySacrament

Care to elaborate?...

biker term.

In that case, I agree...

Care to elaborate?...

biker term.

In that case, I agree...

just think of it this way...a squid has no protection, it's skin is soft. now carry that over to a human. makes sense now.
grin.gif

08 Ninja 250 with Yoshimura exhaust
cbr600rr_450.jpg

2009 CBR 600RR ...This is stock! (UK only I believe)

I plan on getting the 08' Ninja 250R as my first bike..........besides my pocketbike. lol

Rasterbated Ninja

My PB

I haven't set up a class yet, and it won't be til prob next year either. I'm in the midwest for school, and it's gonna be snowing next month.So that means no two-wheeled machines.

It comes with time.
Just be prepared to do alot of solo work after you finish the class.
Because most likely you wont get past maybe 2nd gear (in class that is)

When you starting driving in traffic and hit stop lights you'll see why first is at the bottom.
But DO NOT hop on main streets right after the class.
You ARE NOT ready for street driving.
Practice going around your block for a few days first.
Unless you wanna be like me and stall out in front of a bunch of pissed off car drivers
laugh.gif

Itll become second nature in no time.
Have fun in class and remember "dont pop the clutch.....be smooooooooooooth."

SkySacrament wrote:

just think of it this way...a squid has no protection, it's skin is soft. now carry that over to a human. makes sense now.
grin.gif

Care to elaborate?...

biker term.

In that case, I agree...

^=Questions03 Why'd you like triple quote?
happy.gif
I think we all understand.

Haha...you don't get to pull out fast after a stop...
But I don't think you really need anything more than 600ccs unless you plan on doing track racing.
But 250 hands down has the best cornering.

WITH TIME YOU WILL GET USED TO ALL THE CLUTHING AND ETC JUST DONT GET A 250 PLZ START WITH A 600 OR 750 AND GRADUALLY MOVE UP TO THE 1000CC... ALSO KNOW THATYOU WILL FALL IT COMES WITH THE TURF... ALWAYS ROCK YOUR HELMET... GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CLASS MAN...

^=Questions03 Why'd you like triple quote?
happy.gif
I think we all understand.

Haha...you don't get to pull out fast after a stop...
But I don't think you really need anything more than 600ccs unless you plan on doing track racing.
But 250 hands down has the best cornering.
Long day...
laugh.gif
tired.gif

And yeah, 600's should be max...But I have seen a few Busa's lately. Is that you, Ben?..
nerd.gif

A friend at this little dealership where I hope to get my 250 just layed his 250 down...Only a week after saying he wanted to upgrade to a CBR 1000. Crazy.

Originally Posted by Purple Face

Don't get the 250R. My friend bought one three weeks ago and he's already bored with it
laugh.gif

250 > Death...

Back
Top Bottom