NT'ers with Roommates...I need advice

So here's the deal. My girl and I got a 2 bedroom place last July, we broke up mid-September and I've been taking care of it all myself since. Bills are around $1200/mo. total.

My buddy from college calls me and says he's moving my way, can he take my spare bedroom. He helps with bills and I'm doing him a favor giving him a cheap place to live, win-win.

He moved in last week and his nagging girlfriend has been here damn near every day talking about "the AC is up too high", "you don't have any laundry detergent?" etc. etc. I'm like !!@@+ use your own washer and wear a sweater when you come over. But how do I address the situation with him? They're cuddling on MY big, comfy couch drinking wine while I'm in my room salty that I can't play 2k on my 55 inch beast in the living room.

No offense, but man up. It's your place and you need to give the commands. It seems like there is no damns give by them. It's common courtesy to offer you your own living room when you are home.

If he's you're buddy, just talk to him.

You really should've discussed everything with him before he moved in TBH.

If the guy is really your buddy, you would have no hesitations to just tell him straight up that his girlfriend is an annoying $@+@.

set some rules. back when i was an RA we had each suite do a roommate contract and it aired out all the nagging things that would bother people.

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

No offense, but man up. It's your place and you need to give the commands. It seems like there is no damns give by them. It's common courtesy to offer you your own living room when you are home.
pretty much sums it up

I know I gotta talk to him, but I don't wanna be a bully ya know? I guess I'm just wondering how to approach the situation.

You'd think that as an adult (he's 24, I'm 25) that it's common courtesy to take your girl in YOUR room to cuddle and watch tv, especially after I took him to the Comcast office and got him his own box today
laugh.gif

I'm already thinking this is a nightmare...I tell him rents due on the first and he writes me a check today that will "clear tomorrow". I can understand having your girl over and eating dinner in the living room and stuff but damn you're gonna start your first week off with your girl asking me to do a load of laundry here as she's loading it up?

Never room with a friend, cause they will be an ex friend sooner or later

His girl lived in Detroit and he was across the state, but she moved to a suburb outside the city and that was his main reason for coming out this way.

I guess the most I can do is sit him down tomorrow and go over some stuff. I've never had a problem with girlfriends and people being over but I already cannot stand this chick and she has him whipped to the max. We were playin 2k earlier when she got over and he caught her looking at his facebook on his computer and did not say ONE word about it
alien.gif

Maybe start it off by saying you've gotten used to living by yourself the last 9 months and you wanna make sure you don't do things that might annoy him.  Use that to set up some ground rules.

things are just going to become awkward from now on. From how you're saying the gf is annoying now, she is about to be even worse when she hears it from your buddy. Might as well put up his room for rent and see if anyone takes it.

you definitely should have gone over EVERYTHING before you allowed him to move in.
good luck.

Pics are obligatory

Set some rules or just go sit next to them nd wio

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

things are just going to become awkward from now on. From how you're saying the gf is annoying now, she is about to be even worse when she hears it from your buddy. Might as well put up his room for rent and see if anyone takes it.

you definitely should have gone over EVERYTHING before you allowed him to move in.
good luck.
That was my thing...he's GOTTA know she's annoying as @%%% our lease is up July 31st and I've got another spot lined up already so I'll probably just let it go without resigning but the place is NICE and the location is perfect

Tell him what on your mind. Just be relaxed about it. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be the friend that turns on you because you criticize the effects his relationship has on the environment around him.

Best thing to do would be to sit down and talk to him when she's not there.  Just tell him sometimes you're hella tired when you get home and just want to crash on the couch and play 2k or watch the game, so can he take his girl to his room.  If he's a pushover though, when you get home just say "hey put the game on" or "you wanna play 2k?"  If he's watching something or doesn't wanna play then tell him you have some friends coming over and if he'll go to his room.  You can even tell him it's a girl and just say she cancelled if he asks why she never came over...

Talk to him about it. It seems like he is just helping out, but not necessarily paying rent and splitting utilities so he should appreciate that he getting such a good deal.

well said.
I was in a similar situation up until a few weeks ago, except that it was my roommate who was annoying me, although this is kind of my fault, because I'm not comfortable around other people for long periods of time...although I didn't care too much, because I'm either in my room or my studio. But yeah just tell him, if he's cool, he should acknowledge your point.

You gotta be assertive bruh..your crib, your stuff. Find the right time to
Bring it up and it should go smooth. Personally, I would bring it up when
Old girl is over, see if she replys on some disrespectful %%*+ so I can
Pull a uncle Phil on dat *** and jazzy Jeff her! If he's ya boi he will understand.

Back
Top Bottom