NY NTers and apartment searching??

To my fellow NY NTers whom have apartments, a couple of questions. Where do you guys live? how much is rent? and how did you find your apt? I'm trying to move out in a couple of months and want to start looking and honestly have no idea where to look. I tried craigslist but want to know if anyone has any realtors or something

I found mine on craigslist but through a realtor. Moved in last month in ****r Heights, Brooklyn. 1br with an office for 1100/mo heat and water included.

its better to find your own.  realtors sometimes charge a month's or two months fee.
craigslist is the best.  just click search by owner.

trulia.com

or try padmapper.com

Having moved 3 times in the past 4 years within Manhattan (no specific housing reason...just roommate changes), I've found that brokers run most of the listings on craigslist. They all share the same database...reel you in with an apartment you inquire about and then guide you toward other listings. Fees and other payments are determined by the companies that own the apartments...they work with the brokers to determine which fees, if any, are dished out. 
It's a tricky process (from my experiences)

My personal rent (only my portion...not the full rent including the other roommates) over the past three moves: $980 (East Village 3 BR), $1100 (Midtown East 2 BR), $1225 (Upper East Side 3 BR)

I looked through Craigslist and found some decent apartments when I first started looking. But (if you can afford the fee) the best way to go is go to the area/s you're thinking about moving to and research some good real estate agents. Helps the process go faster/smoother IMO. In Astoria BTW, 1BR ~$1,400 a month.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I looked through Craigslist and found some decent apartments when I first started looking. But (if you can afford the fee) the best way to go is go to the area/s you're thinking about moving to and research some good real estate agents. Helps the process go faster/smoother IMO. In Astoria BTW, 1BR ~$1,400 a month.

That's where I'm trying to move hoping to get 1100-1200 it seems like false hope :/

Yeah CL is pretty cool, beware of the "I'm out of town on a hunger mission in Africa, mail a deposit here and pick up your keys at this location" scam

I own a Coop so it's a bit different than rent, but I know rent for a 1 br apt in my area goes for about 1250-1350 a month....no utilities included...since you are in NY and looking for your own place, I'm giving away a leather sectional...has some wear and tear, but is about 75% good...all you have to do is pick it up...that goes for anyone that's interested in the NY area too.

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, Crown Heights, East NY, and the entire South Bronx has cheap and safe housing.

Not sure if SRS....

If oxmo can't pick up your couch (or doesn't want it), ill take a look at it. I can pick up today.

You would need a pick up truck, is 2 pieces, one is 6 x 2.5ft and the other is about 8 x 2.5ft

The bigger piece won't fit in my elevator and I live on the 7th floor...that's sort of "the catch"

laugh.gif

Sorry for the threadjack OP
ohwell.gif

Here are some pics, pm me if interested, first one I can set something up with takes them, can't be after 5pm on weekdays, and only from 9-12 on Saturday, building rules.

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

Originally Posted by Proshares

That's where I'm trying to move hoping to get 1100-1200 it seems like false hope :/

You looking for a 1BR?  It's doable around that range.  More likely a studio though.  If you look closer to the trains I guess you might get lucky.  Like I said, find a good agent and let them know what you're looking for.  They do wonders.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Ahhhh. There is always a catch. lol.
Send pics so I can see if its worth it. [email protected]
Do you think out would fit in my 2000 xterra?

The small piece maybe, the bigger one?...I highly doubt it...lolYou would need a pickup or a uhaul or maybe a large van.

GL OP. NYC is one of those places that people always tell you to stay at home a little longer to save up for an apt. because rent is crazy high, even when you already have been saving for so long.

Their not wrong when saying that because rent increases in this city is such a damn killer.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Ahhhh. There is always a catch. lol.
Send pics so I can see if its worth it. [email protected]
Do you think out would fit in my 2000 xterra?

The small piece maybe, the bigger one?...I highly doubt it...lolYou would need a pickup or a uhaul or maybe a large van.
YO MY SON, WILL YOU SHIP IT TO ME? I NEED SOMETHING FOR MY NEW APARTMENT

Back
Top Bottom