NYC to get a whole lot more interesting 2020 VOL. eliminating cash bail

Here is what the law is supposed to be.
"For most misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies, cash bail is no longer permitted. Judges must release individuals charged with those crimes with no cash bail, either on their own recognizance or with release conditions designed to ensure that the individual returns to court, such as pretrial supervision and text message reminders for court dates."

Yet people are assaulting cops, robbing banks, etc. And getting bail. Something isn't adding up at all. Tie that into all of the media attention and I can tell the FIX IS CLEARLY IN.

Give this bail reform no one asked for then say this is what you asked for right? Then reverse course and continue broken windows policing and bringing back stop and frisk BLACK PEOPLE only.

It's so obvious.

This happened down the block from my house, guy was let out on Jan 2nd and killed somebody a few days ago I don’t care what political party you associate with this law sucks and is dangerous

Attachments

• 0738AF5D-250A-42FC-AC55-4F81BF78CA49.png
    0738AF5D-250A-42FC-AC55-4F81BF78CA49.png
    783.3 KB · Views: 468
Bruh the bill is **** we can all agree on that but coming in here on this pro nypd tip like we have people shooting heroin and smoking crack on every corner and cops are being shot at is some sensationalist bs

I mean, on 8th Avenue, you do have people shooting heroin and smoking crack.

i seen fiends shootin dog food all da time now...da last thing i want is NYC to resemble San Francisco's dumpster fire of a city.

the heights is already like this riddled with needles and caps on the streets and train stations. 181 stop on the 1 line in the am is nothing but bums shooting up and old needles on the tracks

This means they can get away with doing whatever crime they want since they know they will be released

That's not at all what it means. Getting out on bail ≠ escaping prosecution :lol:

well if you not here legally, you CAN run from da plug...

Carlos Medina Palomino—a Colombian national arrested on charges of allegedly selling cocaine cut with deadly fentanyl—was one of the defendants released.

“This defendant is a unique and extreme flight risk,” prosecutor Lauren Stoia told Judge Abraham Clott.

Stoia said the defendant was recorded in a jailhouse phone call begging for his girlfriend to get bail money together, adding “Let’s leave. I want to go to Colombia.”

the heights is already like this riddled with needles and caps on the streets and train stations. 181 stop on the 1 line in the am is nothing but bums shooting up and old needles on the tracks

its not as bad as Bennett ave and Lauren place around Amsterdam ave... but im afraid da stupid homeless shelters they installed recently bringing all kinda of vagrants...

well if you not here legally, you CAN run from da plug...

Carlos Medina Palomino—a Colombian national arrested on charges of allegedly selling cocaine cut with deadly fentanyl—was one of the defendants released.

“This defendant is a unique and extreme flight risk,” prosecutor Lauren Stoia told Judge Abraham Clott.

Stoia said the defendant was recorded in a jailhouse phone call begging for his girlfriend to get bail money together, adding “Let’s leave. I want to go to Colombia.”

I'd wager that the majority of crime in NY is committed by legal citizens. But I do agree that fleeing the country is one its downfalls. They're trying to get dangerousness hearings that would render this bail reform moot in many cases.

They was getting it in ... I tell people nYC really used to be that place people would catch buck 50s cause they was on the wrong block .
one of my homies caught one for stepping on some "Bloods" cat jordans.
Dude was fresh out of pakistan before i knew him when this happened, but your def right on the being on the wrong block catching a buck 50 for wandering on the wrong block.

Yeah, don't get me wrong NYC is actually extremely safe. It's definitely a hype job sensationalizing these stories.

Reconsidering and thinking about the root causes of why we needed bail reform in the first place. I think this growing pain is necessary for having a system as broken as we have had for so long in a so called "progressive city".

The causes being
SYSTEMIC RACISM - The system not being able to fairly implement equal bail to black people vs other races.

KALIEF BROWDER- His death and the fact he was held for 3 years and never given trial when he could have just been.

RACIAL PROFILING - we have documented recorded evidence of the nypd superiors telling officers don't arrest white people, target black people.

MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS- We have a mental illness EPIDEMIC. A great number of these crimes are committed by the mentally ill and we have no resources or facilities to house them in. Putting the mentally in revolving door jails isn't helping. They need actual held to reduce recidivism.
This costs money so the state just ignores this issue.

What if the law really were for non violent and petty crimes and the courts are just doing what they’ve always had the power to do and just letting anyone they want free, specifically these suspect *** criminals we’re seeing headlines about in a consorted effort sabotage this whole policy? The police, judges and courts all working together against Billy D.

What if the law really were for non violent and petty crimes and the courts are just doing what they’ve always had the power to do and just letting anyone they want free, specifically these suspect *** criminals we’re seeing headlines about in a consorted effort sabotage this whole policy? The police, judges and courts all working together against Billy D.
Stop it with the mental gymnastics.

The law is the law is the law. The judges are just following the letter of this horrible law even if it goes against their personal opinions.
This bill was doomed to fail and I posted why a few pages ago. Here it is again:

Neighboring New Jersey also eliminated cash bail, but they empowered judges to have discretion over whether someone posed a threat before releasing them. New York's law has no such safeguard, and the reforms were enacted as part of the state budget last March, negotiated in secret and out of public view.

Both extremes are horrible ( locking everyone up no matter how trivial the offence vs. Freeing everyone without bail).

Yea lets ignore the fact that so much men are languishing in prison and jail (especially black and brown) thats already overpopulated and yet yall are trying to eliminate this new bill because 1 or 2 sensational headlines show a mentally ill person commit a crime?

Yall some real racist Republicans in here.

Yeah, don't get me wrong NYC is actually extremely safe. It's definitely a hype job sensationalizing these stories.

Reconsidering and thinking about the root causes of why we needed bail reform in the first place. I think this growing pain is necessary for having a system as broken as we have had for so long in a so called "progressive city".

The causes being
SYSTEMIC RACISM - The system not being able to fairly implement equal bail to black people vs other races.

KALIEF BROWDER- His death and the fact he was held for 3 years and never given trial when he could have just been.

RACIAL PROFILING - we have documented recorded evidence of the nypd superiors telling officers don't arrest white people, target black people.

MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS- We have a mental illness EPIDEMIC. A great number of these crimes are committed by the mentally ill and we have no resources or facilities to house them in. Putting the mentally in revolving door jails isn't helping. They need actual held to reduce recidivism.
This costs money so the state just ignores this issue.
More constructive post like this. I wish I could rep you twice.
Less post like: iF yOu DiSaGrEe WiTh Me YoU'rE rAcIsT
nw4xe84tdqyi15keub0uwxztffaoccnszvdoxhu2cqq8yljicsirx8dw3u4emz1y.png

Back
Top Bottom