NYPD's Racist Marijuana Arrest Crusade

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

I have been a smoker forr about 17 years now but what a lot of you are forgetting is that marijuana is still illegal in NYC. If you do not want to get arrested for weed don't have any weed on you. It's really not that hard. IMO people who get busted for pot are just idiots. Yeah I'm sure race plays some part in who is being targeted but if I'm a black man in a city where I know the cops are out to get me why would I even risk it? Bottom line is if you don't want the cops to arrest you don't give them a reason to.
qft, had to learn the hard way tho, you live and you learn

As a prosecutor in a large urban area in the northeast, i would just like to clarify things regarding stops and to educate the members here. (please excuse typos)

I noticed OP cited the Bronx Defenders study regarding stops for marijuana. (it should also be noted that the Bronx Defenders, besides being stubborn defense attorneys, are a huge propaganda machine) To possess marijuana, not in plain view (aka your pocket or your bookbag) is not a crime. It is considered a violation. If you are found with marijuana in plain view (aka smokign a blunt, have a bag in your hand, seen giving a bag to an associate) then it is a misdemeanor crime.

Officers observe people with marijuana a number of ways, either they are smokign it, conducting a sale, have it in their hands etc. New Officers are routinely assigned to Impact or Sneu teams where their objective is to find people in Clean halls buildings or NYCHA buildings who are trespassing and arrest them for trespass if they have no business int he buildings. SOmetimes they will be smoking marijuana or conducting sales within the building. SNEU teams are perched on rooftops or unmarked cars watching high drug rate areas for sales. Officers observe people using marijuana in public view all the time. How many times have you walked down the street and smelled people smoking.

Now as for the race impact, These IMPACT and SNEU teams are focused upon areas with high incidents of crime. It just so happens the places where there ar ehigh incidents of crimes (assualts, robberies, burglaries etc) are in areas where there are high populations of minority populations. Thus there are more offficers concentrated in these areas, and shouldnt they be. Theres no impact or SNEU team on the streets of the mansions in Riverdale because they are not needed there. Thus the increase in amnt of officers plus these specialized teams lead to more arrests of minority populations.

That"story" that the cook county Article mentioned unfortunately is not too uncommon. A man with Marijuana sees Officers in Uniform approaching him or tellign him to stop after they see an exchange or smell him soking it and he throws the bags away thinking "HEY ITS NOT ON ME YOU CANT PROVE IT". meanwhile doing a detriment to themselves as it becomes a misdemeanor crime. However im not going to say that every situation is like that and that officers may or may not lie and state it was in public view or that the Def threw it to the ground. But honestly you should not have marijuana on you at all.

Usually if an officer does find marijuana you will be arrested, taken to a precinct and be given whats called a desk appearance ticket or DAT. Which will require your appearance in court in approx 4 months. You then show up to court and then are arragined. You do not spend time in a cell waiting to see a judge, unless u are denied a DAT and have to go through processing, which will occur if you were given a DAT for a prior incident or you have prior convictions on your record.

Now even when you get in front of the judge, if it is your first offense involving marijuana or any controlled substance, and as long as it is not a felony, you will recieve an Adjournment in contemplation of dismissal pursuant to NY Criminal Procedure Law 170.56, which means in short " HEY KID GET OUTTA HERE. DONT DO THIS AGAIN. HERES YOUR ONE FREE PASS" and if you stay outta trouble for 6 months, the case will be dismissed. However if you have prior controlled substance convictions or a prior ACD for marijuana, prosecutors will ususally offer you a 221.05 (a violation) and a fine with the minimum of $25. This still is not a crime and I have seen people get 5 to 6 of these on their record. In short marijuana is so low on a prosecutors hierachy of damagin offenses we tend to plea out those caseswith violations and fines.

My advice: To possess marijuana in a public area is a crime. To have it on you is a violation. Dont smoke or possess marijuana at all and you will not have this problem, and be inconvenienced by such an unfair justice system.

This is related to that stop and frisk policy. Glad there is a class action suit against that. This news isn't surprising though. There's no way weed will be decriminalized, it's too much of a money maker (as is the gun and drug trade in general).

im a smoker and i gotta say its time for legalization or de criminalization. cant see it happen though. we have i-502 here in washington and the bill in colorado for legalisation but i doubt they will pass. just like the bill that made the ballot in cali a few years ago the main opponents of the bill are the medical marijuana community which really  makes me mad. they say its complaints about the rights of patients but its all about fear of lost profits. funny how just a few years ago these guys were fighting for rights to dispensaries and now they are kind of slowing the movement and pushing their power around(and throwing all recreational users under the bus). really urks me..and i'm a mmj patient too.

hope things get squared away in nyc profiling is bs.

Originally Posted by JDashR

As a prosecutor in a large urban area in the northeast, i would just like to clarify things regarding stops and to educate the members here. (please excuse typos)

I noticed OP cited the Bronx Defenders study regarding stops for marijuana. (it should also be noted that the Bronx Defenders, besides being stubborn defense attorneys, are a huge propaganda machine) To possess marijuana, not in plain view (aka your pocket or your bookbag) is not a crime. It is considered a violation. If you are found with marijuana in plain view (aka smokign a blunt, have a bag in your hand, seen giving a bag to an associate) then it is a misdemeanor crime.

Officers observe people with marijuana a number of ways, either they are smokign it, conducting a sale, have it in their hands etc. New Officers are routinely assigned to Impact or Sneu teams where their objective is to find people in Clean halls buildings or NYCHA buildings who are trespassing and arrest them for trespass if they have no business int he buildings. SOmetimes they will be smoking marijuana or conducting sales within the building. SNEU teams are perched on rooftops or unmarked cars watching high drug rate areas for sales. Officers observe people using marijuana in public view all the time. How many times have you walked down the street and smelled people smoking.

Now as for the race impact, These IMPACT and SNEU teams are focused upon areas with high incidents of crime. It just so happens the places where there ar ehigh incidents of crimes (assualts, robberies, burglaries etc) are in areas where there are high populations of minority populations. Thus there are more offficers concentrated in these areas, and shouldnt they be. Theres no impact or SNEU team on the streets of the mansions in Riverdale because they are not needed there. Thus the increase in amnt of officers plus these specialized teams lead to more arrests of minority populations.

That"story" that the cook county Article mentioned unfortunately is not too uncommon. A man with Marijuana sees Officers in Uniform approaching him or tellign him to stop after they see an exchange or smell him soking it and he throws the bags away thinking "HEY ITS NOT ON ME YOU CANT PROVE IT". meanwhile doing a detriment to themselves as it becomes a misdemeanor crime. However im not going to say that every situation is like that and that officers may or may not lie and state it was in public view or that the Def threw it to the ground. But honestly you should not have marijuana on you at all.

Usually if an officer does find marijuana you will be arrested, taken to a precinct and be given whats called a desk appearance ticket or DAT. Which will require your appearance in court in approx 4 months. You then show up to court and then are arragined. You do not spend time in a cell waiting to see a judge, unless u are denied a DAT and have to go through processing, which will occur if you were given a DAT for a prior incident or you have prior convictions on your record.

Now even when you get in front of the judge, if it is your first offense involving marijuana or any controlled substance, and as long as it is not a felony, you will recieve an Adjournment in contemplation of dismissal pursuant to NY Criminal Procedure Law 170.56, which means in short " HEY KID GET OUTTA HERE. DONT DO THIS AGAIN. HERES YOUR ONE FREE PASS" and if you stay outta trouble for 6 months, the case will be dismissed. However if you have prior controlled substance convictions or a prior ACD for marijuana, prosecutors will ususally offer you a 221.05 (a violation) and a fine with the minimum of $25. This still is not a crime and I have seen people get 5 to 6 of these on their record. In short marijuana is so low on a prosecutors hierachy of damagin offenses we tend to plea out those caseswith violations and fines.

My advice: To possess marijuana in a public area is a crime. To have it on you is a violation. Dont smoke or possess marijuana at all and you will not have this problem, and be inconvenienced by such an unfair justice system.

You talked about all of that just to tell us something we already know?
laugh.gif
. Good info, but if you live in the hood and have good eyes, it's common knowledge.

JDashR just posted some straight knowledge. Thanks for taking the time to write all that. Valuable info.

Originally Posted by buggz05

Chicago Reader's report on the racial implications of Chicago's marijuana bust:
http://www.chicagoreader....tics/Content?oid=4198958

Chicago police made tens of thousands of arrests in 2009 and 2010 for marijuana possession, including 47,400 in which that misdemeanor was the most serious charge. So how egregious are the racial discrepancies?

• Of those arrested, 78 percent were black, 17 percent were Hispanic, and 5 percent were white.

• In those years 4,255 people pleaded or were found guilty of low-level marijuana possession after being arrested in Chicago: 89 percent were black, 9 percent were Hispanic, and 2 percent were white.

• The racial gap was slightly smaller for all of Cook County, which is less diverse than the city: countywide 76 percent of the 6,303 who were convicted or pleaded guilty were black, 10 percent were Hispanic, and 14 percent were white.

• Blacks accounted for most of the marijuana convictions and guilty pleas out of every police district in Chicago except three on the northwest side: Shakespeare (which is in Logan Square and West Town), Albany Park, and Jefferson Park. Hispanics ranked first in each of these areas.

• After Chicago, the most pot convictions and guilty pleas came out of west suburban Maywood, followed by Bellwood (west), Evanston (north), Cicero (west), and Harvey (south).

• The street value of the pot found on the convicted offenders, according to our sample of case files, was anywhere from $2 to $170. The average was $55.

The stats in Chicago are just jaw dropping, keeping in mind that studies show pot is widely used by all racial groups.

Thanks for taking the time to right that. You articulated my thoughts exactly.

Racism is alive more than ever right now. But to say NYPD or these other big city police departments are ALL unfairly targeting minorities is ridiculous imho. Stats can be manipulated to favor opposing views of the same thing being argued.

ppl stayin blazin on corners in the city. You smell it all over. Im white and i have never been frisked or bothered. I walk around the city with a 1 hitter all the time. It is extremely racist and is more or less the definition of profiling. Its nice that ray kelly is doin somethin about this, but you know there is always gonna be those cops who will do whatever they want. They think just bc someone is black, or bc they have a mohawk or somethin that they can take away theyre civil rights. While im not a big fan of police in my area, i do have alot of respect for NYPD officers. But like i said there is always gonna be those few officers.

Originally Posted by ToppShotta

Racism is alive more than ever right now. But to say NYPD or these other big city police departments are ALL unfairly targeting minorities is ridiculous imho. Stats can be manipulated to favor opposing views of the same thing being argued.
eyes.gif

Could you elaborate? These statistics are indicative of systemic racial inequality established by police policy. That means the strategies that the police are using to fight the drug war are targeting black and Latino minorities, when every study shows that marijuana is used widely by all racial groups. I don't see how they could be disregarded or even manipulated.

JDashR's post outlines what happens in NYC, which is pretty relaxed compared to some other parts of the country. And sure, there are steps you can take to prevent getting caught. But just stop thinking about this matter on the individual level, and start thinking about the impact of this on a communal level. Things are what they are; people will continue to smoke pot, enjoy it, and get caught with it, even if "it's not that hard" not to. What matters is the societal impact of such racial inequality established by policy that we can have an impact on.

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Could you elaborate? These statistics are indicative of systemic racial inequality established by police policy. That means the strategies that the police are using to fight the drug war are targeting black and Latino minorities, when every study shows that marijuana is used widely by all racial groups. I don't see how they could be disregarded or even manipulated.

JDashR's post outlines what happens in NYC, which is pretty relaxed compared to some other parts of the country. And sure, there are steps you can take to prevent getting caught. But just stop thinking about this matter on the individual level, and start thinking about the impact of this on a communal level. Things are what they are; people will continue to smoke pot, enjoy it, and get caught with it, even if "it's not that hard" not to. What matters is the societal impact of such racial inequality established by policy that we can have an impact on.
Ok, maybe thats my problem right there.

What I meant was, I don't think NYPD or other big departments are targeting minority communities on the basis of race alone. I think they're targeting felonious crimes (trying to get guns, stolen cars, narcotics distributors etc.) in neighborhoods with high crime rates. And those neighborhoods happen to be minority neighborhoods.

Basically, what Im trying to say is stop blaming police for this inequality. Education and other institutions player a much larger role than the "racist" NYPD.

Stop smoking the devils letttuce and you wouldnt have to enconter that situation, Problem Solved. Stufff smells like poop.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

i REFUSE to believe someone can be that naive

Originally Posted by Mo Matik

Ok, maybe thats my problem right there.

What I meant was, I don't think NYPD or other big departments are targeting minority communities on the basis of race alone. I think they're targeting felonious crimes (trying to get guns, stolen cars, narcotics distributors etc.) in neighborhoods with high crime rates. And those neighborhoods happen to be minority neighborhoods.

Basically, what Im trying to say is stop blaming police for this inequality. Education and other institutions player a much larger role than the "racist" NYPD.

But it's been shown time and time again, not just in NYC but in all over the country, when whites are actually searched they are more likely to have drugs on them than minorities are.
Fact is if police stop and frisked random white persons at the same rate they did minorities you'd have just as many, possibly even more, whites getting arrested for drug related offenses as minorities.  Which would also mean people would have to start to accept that whites might be just as likely to be "criminals" as blacks and latinos.  This nation isn't ready to accept that yet.

Stop defending blatant racism by passing the blame onto something else.  This is why this country doesn't get anywhere because people don't want to deal with the issue at hand.

P.S. This is in no way throwing shade on my white brothers on NT, I'm just stating the reality.

It is a system made to bring and keep the minorities down. Look at the cars they target and the punishment for the crimes. This plant has been around for a very long time and will continue to be. For the government to send pre-rolled joints to a selected few is hypocrisy.

If you don't wanna to be caught or unfairly searched for marijuana, don't drive a Caprice Classic on 28s with 5 percent tint.

That's asking for it.

Originally Posted by DEpast

If you don't wanna to be caught or unfairly searched for marijuana, don't drive a Caprice Classic on 28s with 5 percent tint.

That's asking for it.
Sarcasm?
There's no way your reading comprehension is that low.

If you are not a libertarian, you should not complain when you are heavily taxed or when you or your loved ones are unfairly incarcerated for victimless crimes. If you support big government, you support a police state police states that require practices like "stop and frisk," civil asset forfeiture and other uses of brutality and violations of human and civil rights.

In my mind, minorities and college kids and anyone else who sneers at limited government deserves whatever happens to them at the hands of our legal system.

Originally Posted by DEpast

That's asking for it.

Lol... just the other day i saw a donked oldsmobile with a plate that said "HI AS FAK." Guess what i saw right behind him? A cop that pulled him over.

I still believe that the thuggery leads to this. I noticed that there has been a rise in crime especially shooting's in certain areas of NY.Not because new's sources have said so, but from what I've seen for myself. Due to this the police are still gonna continue to do stop and frisk....if anything they will do it even more. Yeah a lot of the stop and frisk are just racial profiling, but it is warranted because of dudes running around shooting up the place in broad daylight amongst innocent bystanders.

http://www.nydailynews.co...t-york-article-1.1082171

Back
Top Bottom