NYU professor supposedly fired over giving James Franco a "D" in class.

Gill Baka Esq. LLC.

formerly grimlock
I'm a big fan of Franco, I think he's one of the best actors right now...but I see this story as being true...

NEW YORK - James Franco's tired James Dean act got an NYU professor booted from the school last year, after the teacher dared to give the Hollywood hunk a "D" for blowing off class, a lawsuit charges.
Jose Angel Santana said he slapped the "127 Hours" star with the bad grade because he missed 12 of his 14 "Directing the Actor II" classes while pursuing a master's in fine arts.

Santana said he then suffered all kinds of drama -- first from Franco, who publicly ridiculed him, then from his department, which axed him over the "D."

"The school has bent over backwards to create a Franco-friendly environment, that's for sure," Santana, 58, said. "The university has done everything in its power to curry favor with James Franco."

Santana, who is suing NYU in Manhattan Supreme Court for his job back, asserts that Franco, whose career took off after a 2001 portrayal of James Dean, blew off just as many classes in other courses. But the star's other professors at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts still gave him good grades, Santana said.

He suggested that the good grades Franco received were payback to the actor for hiring one of his other professors, Jay Anania.

Franco hired Anania to write and direct the film "William Vincent," which starred Franco, the suit states.

Franco, 33, also wound up teaching an NYU course this past fall on adapting poetry into short films.

"In my opinion, they've turned the NYU graduate film degree into swag for James Franco's purposes, a possession, something you can buy," Santana said.

In a statement to entertainment website TMZ, a spokesperson for NYU said the university had not yet seen the lawsuit but called reports about it "ridiculous."

"It is regrettable and disappointing to see a faculty member -- former or otherwise -- discuss any student's grade for the purpose of his or her personal publicity," the statement continued.

I'm also not one for celeb gossip, but I feel the professor is right...just cuz your a celeb you shouldn't get preferential treatment.

Went to 2 classes, though
laugh.gif

The school is dumb to say he is doing it for his own personal publicity. What benefit does this give the professor? Publicity for what? He just wants his job back.

Yeah ........................... but this is NYU though, all they do is cater to rich, snobbish, spoiled students

this is not me being saltly .. I've heard this from several of my former Hunter professors that also taught at NYU

Franco, celebrity or not, aint the only person to skip most classes of a college course but attend the ones that matter.

Originally Posted by Nikekidwonder

Why is James Franco in college  ?

Sons got like half dozen degree's and Im pretty sure hes even teaching a class somewhere.  Dudes just going ham.

Originally Posted by presequel

Franco, celebrity or not, aint the only person to skip most classes of a college course but attend the ones that matter.

I would've been kicked out of college my freshman year if my classes had mandatory attendance
laugh.gif
Showing up just for the midterm and final
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Of course, some professors never post the lecture online, so for those you HAVE to go. My bio professor never posted notes for his 8 AM lecture
sick.gif

And Franco IS a flake. My school (UCSB) won some online thing to get an exclusive event for the movie Your Highness. First of all, Natalie Portman couldn't make it 
indifferent.gif
(which was the only reason I went in the first place). The event was supposed to start at 4:30, but no sign of Franco. Only Danny McBride showed up, and he kept making excuses for Franco, but he eventually gave up and went back inside. James Franco shows up 2.5 hours later HIGH AS @#$%. Dude then starts taking pictures of himself with the crowd with a disposable camera, and doesn't say @#$% on the microphone that the event planner handed him
laugh.gif
Signs autographs for 10 minutes (again without saying a word) and dips

dude is bored. Let him live.

Give the teaher back his job tho. chill with that.

lol @ the Milk reference

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Sons got like half dozen degree's and Im pretty sure hes even teaching a class somewhere.  Dudes just going ha
laugh.gif
@ Nikekid

And here's where the plot thickens...and also why I believe that the NYU professor was fired...NYU let James Franco teach one of their classes on how to adapt poems into short movies or something...Is he even qualified to teach?

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Sons got like half dozen degree's and Im pretty sure hes even teaching a class somewhere.  Dudes just going ha
laugh.gif
@ Nikekid

And here's where the plot thickens...and also why I believe that the NYU professor was fired...NYU let James Franco teach one of their classes on how to adapt poems into short movies or something...Is he even qualified to teach?
You don't necessarily have to be a professor to teach a class. Many elective classes are taught by grad students

The prof is right, Franco's just getting a free pass (and seems to be basically compensating professors with jobs) but I've always had a problem with attendance and college. If I'm able to pass the midterm and final, hand in papers on time, etc. I shouldn't really have to attend all classes.

Back
Top Bottom