Ocean City, Maryland or Virginia Beach? Which one would you vacation at?

From NY..and plannin on takin a trip to either one of these places this summer..sometime in August..towards the end of August..which one is better and why?

ocean city is a dump..unless your with a group of friends and you plan on getting trashed the whole week, VA beach would be the better option.

I would also go with VA Beach, aside from the beach there you could also head to Busch Gardens/Water Country. I used to go to VA Beach every year growing up if you need any suggestions on what to do while there PM me.

Va Beach...

Mainly because, you have not only the beach...

You have the other "7 cities" *all which have their own identity* for entertainment purposes as well...

No more than 20 min.-30 min. drive anywhere, give or take tunnel traffic.

ocean city is a dirty beach. and im from cali i thought i saw it all. i never went to va beach except for the GITD tour. So I vote va since ive never been.

Thanks guys for all the help..now in terms of places to stay along the beach..any recommendations? I found hotels cheaper than the vacation rentals..

i hate va beach...i've always been an ocean city guy...oc boardwalk > x 100 thousand trillion > va beach...but i seem to be the only one that thinks that so...

Originally Posted by dmxgod

Thanks guys for all the help..now in terms of places to stay along the beach..any recommendations? I found hotels cheaper than the vacation rentals..
Hilton...

Its a few blocks away from the "bunched traffic" on the strip... But the peace on that side of the strip (near the end), and the room (HD TV, great beds, view, quiet, etc.) is great.  If you plan on relaxing in the room, I wouldn't take the cheap route on hotels down there.  If you plan on using the hotel just to get a couple hours every night, then its whatever...

Originally Posted by Renzo289

i hate va beach...i've always been an ocean city guy...oc boardwalk > x 100 thousand trillion > va beach...but i seem to be the only one that thinks that so...
Any particular reason on the hate for VA beach?

Never been to Ocean City Will be Going soon...

Haven't been to VA Beach in 15+ years .. will be going there too ..

I got alot of traveling to do
laugh.gif

i did 3 semesters down at NSU, that whole area is slow and boring...i was used to going to OC as a kid and their boardwalk/strip experience always trumped VA Beach's...i always had more fun in OC but hey, i seem to be the minority with my opinion...

Va Beach (cause im a local)

anything about the area you want to know about, just ask.

Originally Posted by MASERATI HARM

laugh.gif

when you going to ocean city yo. I been trying to go there my whole life but my peoples were always afraid to drive over that bridge. want to go before i leave the state

laugh.gif

when you going to ocean city yo. I been trying to go there my whole life but my peoples were always afraid to drive over that bridge. want to go before i leave the state

i did 3 semesters down at NSU, that whole area is slow and boring...i was used to going to OC as a kid and their boardwalk/strip experience always trumped VA Beach's...i always had more fun in OC but hey, i seem to be the minority with my opinion...

I JUST GOT BACK FROM OC BEACH YESTERDAY AND HAD ANOTHER GREAT TIME

so i  am with you my friend OC BEACH is way better them va beach .

i have been going to OC my whole  life ( went with my family as a youngster and now i go at least 2-3 times a year )

now the beach at va was nice but that was it the rest was awlful . the whole time i was there all i seen was young kids acting a fool , the police on
every street running kids off the coner's or breaking up trouble.(fight's)

ive been to OC  alot of times during senior week  when the june bug level is at its highest and have never seen it as bad as va beach was.

plus like my man said the boardwalk/ strip experience at OC is 123 times better then va. beach.

now this is  based  on a 1 time outing ( last year) to va. beach  from me so i cant say its like that all of the time but thats what was going down when i was there.

so to me OC BEACH  would be the place to go hands down.

I JUST GOT BACK FROM OC BEACH YESTERDAY AND HAD ANOTHER GREAT TIME

so i  am with you my friend OC BEACH is way better them va beach .

i have been going to OC my whole  life ( went with my family as a youngster and now i go at least 2-3 times a year )

now the beach at va was nice but that was it the rest was awlful . the whole time i was there all i seen was young kids acting a fool , the police on
every street running kids off the coner's or breaking up trouble.(fight's)

ive been to OC  alot of times during senior week  when the june bug level is at its highest and have never seen it as bad as va beach was.

plus like my man said the boardwalk/ strip experience at OC is 123 times better then va. beach.

now this is  based  on a 1 time outing ( last year) to va. beach  from me so i cant say its like that all of the time but thats what was going down when i was there.

so to me OC BEACH  would be the place to go hands down.

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

both are disgusting.
roll.gif
Yeah, don't think they are on my top 10 beaches in the world but if you are local, hitting up either for a quick drivable getaway isn't too bad.  I definitely wouldn't reccomend anyone to travel long hours just to visit either place, just not that much at either beach and as for the beach itself (meaning sand/water), the water is usually cold, very cold, I rarely swim at these beaches. 

With that being said, I just got back from VA Beach, first time and it wasn't that bad. My luck, they had a couple of things going on this weekend, World Cup events, Sand Soccer National Tournament (cool to see), and a Latin Festival.  Did a quick search and found a great seafood restaurant with very fair prices.

The road trip wasn't bad at all, I took alternative routes that had more of a scenery, no traffic, and I could drive at my pace. 

Stayed at the Hilton, great location, room was clean (I know the house keeping at these hotels have a tougher time dealing with all that sand), service was good, pool on the roof was small but wasn't bad to chill at, my biggest complain was the slow/busy elevators.

Pool at the Hilton

Indoor pool was on the opposite side but on the same floor.

To answer the original question, guess it would help to know if this is a family trip or what you trying to do.  I was only at VA beach for a couple of hours and OC in the other hand was the beach we would go to more often growing up, so it wouldn't be fair to say which one is better.  They are very similar though... only major difference I felt was the boarwalks, but I think whatever can be found at one can be found at the other.

Couple pics from the weekend:

View Large On Black

Been to both, its a coin toss really...

If your with your lady, i'd say OC is a better experience. But if solo or with crew, imo va beach/norfolk has the better club scene.

Whenever we go to OC, we load up on whatever in delaware before hitting the town, tax free babyyyy.

My trip is gonna consist of me and my girlfriend..were not really big party people so were lookin for relaxation..fun stuff to do..good food..nice scenery..good shoppin locations..just anythin different than Upstate NY (which is rural and not much to do as opposed to livin in NYC)..

Does this help?

i've lived in the DMV my entire life for the most part and just visited ocean city for the first time this past memorial day weekend... it was pretty blah especially compared to myrtle beach.. which ive been to prob 100 times (family lives nearby). i was with a group of like 7 dudes and some females and it was an aight time. but if i had come for the weekend with me and my girl or me and only 1 friend and i wasnt rolling thick i probably would been disappointed.

i've been to VA beach, but not since i was a small child... so no comment.

Originally Posted by rocman23

laugh.gif

*@#% fool.. iono ..
I'll keep you in the loop

Prolly next month..

When will you be bavk in town?

Originally Posted by rocman23

laugh.gif

your whole life tho?
roll.gif

why don't you just go?

i went to va beach this past weekend...it was cool..we stayed in norfolk tho...we went to Buckroe Beach the next day for some crabs...to eat...

only thing i didnt like was it was crowded but i guess thats to be expected...Buckroe beach was cool...it was nothing but the beach...no boardwalk no nothing...if you guys are driving it'd be cool to check out for a few hours...maybe 30 min from va beach...waaaay more laid back if you're just looking to chill...

my bff and i were trying to go to OC memorial weekend but we looked and it said that $%%* was 4 hours away so yeah...
laugh.gif

i do wanna go...one of these days...just found out we have the 5th of july off...maybe then...
nerd.gif

Buckroe? That's straight jellyfish city
laugh.gif

Va Beach is cool, I live so close that I don't even go like that. There is a lot of lounges and stuff like that out Va Beach for when the sun goes down if you're into that sort of thing.

I need to head up to OC.

Back
Top Bottom