Offense vs Defense debate.

I have this argument with my friend all the time, he sticks with the Defense wins championships cliche' and I say Great offense beats Great Defense.I feel that as good as a defense is or can be, if it goes against a good offense, the offense will determine the victory.I think both are important, and you should be able to defense well... I just put more stock in great offense, who can make plays when it countsWanted to get other opinions.

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

phoenix suns

Every Eastern Conference team in the last decade sans the Pistons and Celtics who made it work (pro offense argument as those teams sucked at scoring but won by defending and mucking up the game)

I am pro offense. Ideally, you see both like tonight in the Thunder-Lakers game. Thabo's defense was excellent, perfect during and the work before Kobe got the ball, same time Kobe just made those difficult shots and that was great to see. It was much preferred to if it had been a game against any Don Nelson or D'Antoni team where those shots would be wide open and hope he misses, or hope he makes and take it back out the net at him to score, or to the Eastern Conference philosophy of just holding the ball for the entire shotclock just so the other team doesn't have it and final scores of 72-75

You generally need both but I think defense is slightly more important. Since 1980, 5 teams have won a chip without a top 10 offense ('90 Pistons, '94 Rockets, '99 Spurs, '04 Pistons, '10 Lakers) but only 2 have won it all without a top 10 defense ('95 Rockets, '01 Lakers).

I used tonight's game as an example also.
I don't think Kobe got a good look the whole night, Thabo was playing GREAT defense all night before and after the catch... But Kobe's great offense trumped Thabo's great defense.

Even last years NFL championship games, Patriots beat a top 5 Ravens defense Giants beat a top 3 49'ers defense, all with making more plays offensively. Giants and Patriots defense where both ranked in the mid 20's but what it came down to was Offenseively Eli made more plays over good defense, than Brady made over good defense.

Originally Posted by Infyrno23

I don't think Kobe got a good look the whole night, Thabo was playing GREAT defense all night before and after the catch... But Kobe's great offense trumped Thabo's great defense.
You do understand that Kobe wouldn't make those shots every game? Of course you would use tonight to support your argument. You need both. No other way to put it man. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Infyrno23

You do understand that Kobe wouldn't make those shots every game? Of course you would use tonight to support your argument. You need both. No other way to put it man. 
nah

great defense > great offense

Defense can stop scoring and score itself.

offense can only score.

You need a balance. Being a great defensive team with a player who can be very effective in the post seems to be the formula.

A great offense will always beat a great defense in football.

A great defense will always beat a great offense in basketball and baseball.

Originally Posted by JD617

You generally need both but I think defense is slightly more important. Since 1980, 5 teams have won a chip without a top 10 offense ('90 Pistons, '94 Rockets, '99 Spurs, '04 Pistons, '10 Lakers) but only 2 have won it all without a top 10 defense ('95 Rockets, '01 Lakers).
Basically. You need to be decent on offense so you arent struggling to score. But a good defense creates easy opportunities to score on the other end. And makes it so you are always in games because the scores are generally low. Much easier to beat a team when you only have to score 85+ rather than having to score 100+ on a nightly basis. Even the best offensive teams in the league have trouble doing that. Without looking any thing up, I think there's only like 3 or 4 teams that avg over 100. 
Edit: I used basketball as a reference. But its basically the same thing for all sports. The less you have to score to win the easier it makes the game. 

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Originally Posted by JD617

Basically. You need to be decent on offense so you arent struggling to score. But a good defense creates easy opportunities to score on the other end. And makes it so you are always in games because the scores are generally low. Much easier to beat a team when you only have to score 85+ rather than having to score 100+ on a nightly basis. Even the best offensive teams in the league have trouble doing that. Without looking any thing up, I think there's only like 3 or 4 teams that avg over 100. 

I really agree with what you said, it's no dying defense is important... I want my team to be able to be more efficient on the execution.

Defense > Offense

There's nights when shots aren't going to fall, you can bring defensive effort whenever you want.

but there's also nights where you are going to be all in the other team's face and they will still make shots (ask Thabo), you need to be able to match their offensive output.

well when the game is close, people want the last shot, not the last defensive stop
but its always a good feeling to get a stop

defense is more consistent, you can always "bring it"

in baseball, defense/pitching can win you a chip (ie sf giants)

Back
Top Bottom