*OFFICAL* L.A Dodgers Spring Training Thread! Vol. Baseball is almost here!

The Dodgers tried to pry Cabrera away from the Marlins last summer when they discussed a deal that would have sent Matt Kemp, James Loney and Chad Billingsley to Florida, but the Marlins balked. The Dodgers are still interested, and Cabrera, 24, would instantly upgrade new manager Joe Torre's 2008 lineup.

Who came up with this offer?

That trade is outright stupid.

The Marlins did us a favor by not accepting.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Quote:
The Dodgers tried to pry Cabrera away from the Marlins last summer when they discussed a deal that would have sent Matt Kemp, James Loney and Chad Billingsley to Florida, but the Marlins balked. The Dodgers are still interested, and Cabrera, 24, would instantly upgrade new manager Joe Torre's 2008 lineup.

I don't know if I would do that trade now. I wouldn't give up Loney in the deal or Billingsley. One major league ready player and two top prospects for Cabrera.

Dodger FO please don't get rid of Loney.
tired.gif

James Loney, Kemp and Billingsley all to get a Fatty Cabrera?

I'm sure we can get him for a cheaper price...
ohwell.gif

DODGERS REPORT
[h1]Colletti explores free-agent options[/h1]
template_bas

template_bas

A center fielder or third baseman is possible on the open market, though the Dodgers' general manager says the team has not decided whether to pursue Rodriguez. He also says pitching will probably come via a trade.

By Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
November 13, 2007
General Manager Ned Colletti said Monday that the Dodgers would explore the free-agent market for possible upgrades at center field and third base but would probably look elsewhere to bolster their starting rotation.

Tuesday is the first day that free agents can sign with a new team.

Colletti said his opinion of the market for starting pitchers hasn't changed since late August, when he cited the weak free-agent crop as one of the reasons for claiming Esteban Loaiza off waivers. Loaiza, who turns 36 on New Year's Eve, will make $7 million next season.

"I'd say that our best chance as of today would be via trade," Colletti said of the Dodgers' wish to add depth to the rotation. He added that he had no such deals in the works.

But Colletti left open the possibility of signing a free-agent center fielder or third baseman. He wouldn't discuss any specific player.

The need for a center fielder would arise if the Dodgers, as expected, move weak-armed Juan Pierre to left. Pierre's potential replacements include Andruw Jones, Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand. If the Dodgers fail to lure one of them, they could move Matt Kemp from right to center.

Colletti said of the team's situation at third base: "It's kind of like center field. We'll investigate and see."

The prize at third base would be Alex Rodriguez, but Colletti said the Dodgers still haven't decided whether they will pursue him. Rodriguez could cost more than $30 million a season.

Colletti spoke briefly with Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, on the final day of the general managers meetings last week. Boras also represents Jones.

The Dodgers have shown interest in dealing for All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera of the Florida Marlins.

Colletti said he considered the Dodgers' present options at third base to be viable. He said he is hoping that Nomar Garciaparra will recapture his 2006 form, when he was the National League comeback player of the year, and that he has been encouraged by the performances of Andy LaRoche at the Baseball World Cup in Taiwan. LaRoche hit two home runs Sunday in the Untied States' 12-2 victory over Spain.

Another option at third is Tony Abreu, whose time at second base could be cut by the likely return of Jeff Kent. Kent's agent, Jeffrey Klein, said Monday that Kent remains undecided about his plans for next season.

Colletti didn't dismiss the possibility of looking overseas for reinforcements, though he said that the international market is "always more cloudy than the free-agent market."

The top international players on the market include outfielder Kosuke Fukudome, and pitchers Hiroki Kuroda and Masahide Kobayashi of Japan, and center fielder Alexei Ramirez of Cuba.

Bob Schaefer, who twice was the interim manager of the Kansas City Royals, has emerged as a candidate to be the Dodgers' bench coach. Schaefer held that position last season with the Oakland A's, but did not have his contract renewed.

Schaefer said he has had conversations with Colletti and Manager Joe Torre.

"We're still in the talking stages," Schaefer said.

Schaefer managed Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly in the New York Yankees' Class-A affiliate in Greensboro, N.C. in 1980. Schaefer said Mattingly recommended him to Torre.

Mattingly and Larry Bowa are the only coaches under contract to be on Torre's staff.

Right-hander Chin-hui Tsao, who was out-righted to triple-A Las Vegas on Friday, elected free agency. . . . Right-hander Yhency Brazoban, whose season was cut short by shoulder surgery, received medical clearance to begin a throwing program.

- Word is that the Dodgers offered ARod 5 yrs / 150 Mil deal.
nerd.gif

- Word is that the Marlins want Kershaw, Kemp, Loney, and Bills.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
if ned/mccourts give up loney/kemp/kershaw/bills for fatty cabrera - I swear I'll go to the raving and cause havoc.

Open up your damn wallets, give a.rod the money, do not even consider trading away the rest of the future for this dude.

Makes no sense.

Earlier today I heard, I believe Joe McDonald on 570AM, talking about how he thinks Frank doesn't have the money to sign ARod, etc etc etc. This dude cameup with the idea of building condos, a mall, etc on a third of the parking lot similar to the Staples Center.

The thought of having condos built right behind center field next to the Think Blue sign was sickening. Dodger Stadium to me is a place, though right neardowntown, almost as if it's away from everything else in the city. IHaving Chavez Ravine be converted to a mall, theater, and so on would take a littleaway from what it is to people now.

Hmmmm...
eyes.gif

This dude came up with the idea of building condos, a mall, etc on a third of the parking lot similar to the Staples Center.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
this is EXACTLY why i dont take these sports radio douche word as gospel. all this dude is doing is trying to revive OLD rumors that werein heavy circulation around the time when mc court was in the process of taking over the dodgers. there were those rumors, a rumor of completely razing theravine in order for multi million gated communities in order to get a new downtown stadium, so on and so forth.

BS out of this mcdonald character

According to the San Diego Union Tribune, "the Padres are contemplating three-team trade scenarios" for Matt Kemp.

It's unclear what the Padres could possibly offer in a trade that nets them Kemp unless Jake Peavy is truly on the block, although Chase Headley would be a start.

unless theyre offering Peavy+ Gonzalez, NO
laugh.gif

Padres are interested in Matt Kemp ... (hasta be a 0.01% chance dude will be dealt to the south side)

Reports are Scott Rolen is available ... if he comes at a cheaper price (talent wise) than fatty cabrera then I'm all for it ... although, dude is injuryplague a new scenary in L.A with a new coach could be his fix.

(Considering we are out of the a.rod sweepstakes .... )

I'm not sure I would roll with Rolen - too many injuries. Bill Mueller Part II anyone? Unless he is willing to accept a 1 yr deal with an team option forthe second year - maybe. And cheap.

I wish Vin had a blog / podcast and let us know what he thinks about what this team should do.

inless they sign rolen and have him platoon with Andy LaRoche it would be pointless to sign him since he will be on the IR way to much.

Joe McDonald on 570AM

roll.gif
If someone takes this dude seriously, he doesn't know what he istalking about most of the time.

I told you guys, A-Rod was not going to happen. Was he a possibility? Small, but yes. I just don't think he is the answer. Go after Jones/Rowand and getRolen (If the Cards pick up a chunk of his contract). Then trade some young guys for pitching. I said this on page 1 or 2. Sure Rolen is injured a lot, butI think La Roche is going to be good, he was just injured when he was called up.

The thought of having condos built right behind center field next to the Think Blue sign was sickening. Dodger Stadium to me is a place, though right near downtown, almost as if it's away from everything else in the city. IHaving Chavez Ravine be converted to a mall, theater, and so on would take a little away from what it is to people now.

That was stated last year. He originally wanted to have a new stadium downtown, but space is limited (obviously).

So if can't bring the Dodgers to downtown, then he wants to bring downtown to Dodger Stadium.

^for the last couple of years, Ethier falls off the end of the world during the 2nd half of the season ..... in other words, dude becomes a ghost ....

but, dudes swing is nice
pimp.gif

The Dodgers are in the market for a center fielder even though they invested heavily in the position only an offseason ago, and Aaron Rowand is one free agent that has emerged on their radar. Agent Craig Landis said Thursday that he has had contact with a Dodgers official about Rowand, who could provide an All-Star and Gold Glove upgrade over Juan Pierre.

I would be happy with either Rowand or Jones in CF. Ethier or Kemp are getting peddled for a Starting Pitcher.

Kemp has more star potential than Ethier although Ethier is a good hitter. He'll be a 20 80 type of guy annually but i see 40 and 120 for Kemp.

^^

I think everyone has come to grips that Kemp is a better player than Ethier, and there lies the problem. People will ask for Kemp and not Etheir.

The free-agent center fielder, who grew up in Southern California, hit .309 with 27 home runs and 89 runs batted in for the Phillies last season.

By Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
11:35 AM PST, November 16, 2007

The Dodgers are one of about 10 teams that have had contact with free-agent center fielder Aaron Rowand, according to Rowand's agent, Craig Landis.

"The Dodgers would be one of the teams Aaron would be most interested in playing for," Landis said.

Rowand grew up in Southern California. He graduated from Glendora High in 1995 and played at Cal State Fullerton. He lives in Las Vegas.

Rowand, 30, hit .309 with 27 home runs and 89 runs batted in for the Philadelphia Phillies last season. He played in the All-Star game and won a Gold Glove.

The Dodgers' interest in Rowand is further indication that the team has plans to move Juan Pierre from center field to left.

The Dodgers named the rest of their coaches today, adding bench coach Bob Schaefer, pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, first base coach Marino Duncan and bullpen coach Ken Howell to a staff that already included Don Mattingly and Larry Bowa.

Schaefer, who twice was the interim manager of the Kansas City Royals, was the bench coach for the Oakland Athletics last season. Schaefer was recommended to Manager Joe Torre by Mattingly, who played for him in the New York Yankees' minor league system.

Honeycutt and Duncan were on the Dodgers' staff last season, working under then-manager Grady Little.

Howell spent the last five seasons as a pitching coach in the Dodgers' minor league system, including the last two at triple-A Las Vegas. He pitched for the Dodgers from 1984 to 1988.

The Dodgers parted ways with third base coach Rich Donnelly and bullpen coach Dan Warthen.

Rick Ragazzo was hired as a special assistant to the general manager. Ragazzo spent the previous 17 seasons with the San Francisco Giants, 11 as their director of international operations. Ragazzo was an assistant coach at Fullerton College (1985-88) and Loyola Marymount (1988-90) before becoming a scout for the Giants.

[email protected]

[table][tr][td]
Colletti shying away from trades

Teams asking for multiple youngsters in exchange for big bat

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com
[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
VShMrimB.jpg

Clayton Kershaw, here playing for the U.S. squad in last July's All-Star Futures Game, is perhaps the Dodgers' top Minor League pitcher. (Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)
[/td] [/tr][/table]LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers fans alarmed by the names and numbers of prospects demanded in return for a slugger like Miguel Cabrera are not alone. Ned Colletti sounds alarmed, too.
"Any player that you would consider a middle-of-the-order bat, a run producer, as predicted, the cost of the prospects going back, at least in our minds, far exceeds the value of the player," the Dodgers general manager said Friday. "It's not one prospect, it's not two prospects, but in some cases it's three or four prospects. And our prospects are no longer prospects. They are big league players that continue to get asked about."

Young Dodgers other clubs ask about most frequently are Matt Kemp, Chad Billingsley, James Loney, Jonathan Broxton and Minor League pitcher Clayton Kershaw. To get someone like Cabrera, who is on a Hall-of-Fame pace and is still two years away from free agency, the demand is at least three of them.

"We're still on a mission to try to find it and cure it," Colletti said of an upgrade. "If that fails, we'll try to improve the club, even if it means the 25th man or the last pitcher. Right now, trade-wise, its a lot of bait-and-switch. We thought we had a deal the other day, but they got cold feet at the end."

Colletti indicated the most-likely scenario for the Dodgers to improve their lineup would be to sign a free agent position player -- center fielder Aaron Rowand seems to be his main target -- creating a surplus of outfielders that would position the Dodgers for a trade to improve another area, be it for a third baseman such as Cabrera or a starting pitcher.

While the Dodgers would prefer to deal Juan Pierre or Andre Ethier, any club willing to deal a player of Cabrera's stature would insist on equal value, meaning a player with the highest upside potential, meaning Kemp.

Colletti said he has interest in Rowand, as well as fellow free agents Torii Hunter and Andruw Jones.

"We're curious to know what their interest level is in playing here and what it's going to take to get them here," he said. "They're all accomplished and all bring something to the table.

"We have some depth in some areas. If we improve in one area via free agency, it may open a trade route for us. Or we can improve ourselves with just a trade. The way it's shaping up, we can sign a free agent and it may cause a domino effect that can make someone expendable on our part to make a trade."

Meanwhile, manager Joe Torre, who spoke about adding pitching at his introduction last week when he conceded he wasn't very familiar with the roster, apparently has done some cramming on the personnel he inherited, because on a conference call Friday his priorities had changed.

"Right now, we're looking to see what we can do offensively," he said. "And any time you can add quality pitching to your staff, you do it. I don't know if there are any gaping holes from what I've heard. I'm more familiar with the names of our guys, the Kemps and [Andy] LaRoches and Loneys."

Torre also said he was not surprised that Alex Rodriguez would return to the Yankees.

"What surprised me more was A-Rod opting out," Torre said. "I thought Alex was very comfortable last year."

Colletti said the Dodgers would have been "in the mix" if Rodriguez had demonstrated that he wanted to be a Dodger.

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I'm thinking if they sign Rowand/Hunter/Jones then Kemp will be gone afterall. The outfield would be stacked, like last year... Pierre, Kemp, Ethier,Young, Repko, Insert FA. Maybe Young plays Triple A again or gets packaged... Bedard?
[table][tr][td]
O's prefer Bedard extension over trade

Aware of high demand, MacPhail first looking to lock up lefty

By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com
[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
rrq3kyJM.jpg

Erik Bedard, who made $3.4 million in 2007, is under contract through the 2009 season. (Nick Wass/AP)
[/td] [/tr][/table]
BALTIMORE -- For all the temptation to trade Erik Bedard, there may yet be an even greater pull for the Orioles to keep him.
Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail won't trade Bedard without first determining what it would take to sign him to a contract extension, according to a report published on Thursday in the Baltimore Sun. MacPhail is set to begin conversations with Bedard's agent before next month's Winter Meetings begin.

"Young left-handed starters don't grow on trees," MacPhail told the Sun. "Especially ones that are potentially dominant, as Erik has been."

Bedard, 28, finished the 2007 season with a 13-5 record, a 3.16 ERA and 221 strikeouts despite missing an entire month with a strained right oblique. His current contract runs through 2009, and an extension would require the Orioles to offer significantly more money per year than the $3.4 million Bedard made in 2007.

That's not even the most vexing problem. Should the Orioles lock up Bedard, they would forgo an opportunity to trade him during an offseason in which the free-agent class is noticeably weak. For a player such as Bedard -- who has no peer in this year's free-agent class -- the Orioles could command up to three Major League-ready prospects.

Teams looking to acquire elite pitching this offseason have turned away from the open market, where starters such as Kyle Lohse and Carlos Silva figure to command contracts disproportionate to past performance. Instead, general managers are looking toward the trade market, where the hottest rumors have involved names such as Johan Santana, Dan Haren, and -- of course -- Bedard.

MacPhail knows that, and he discussed the possibility of a trade with several teams at this month's General Managers Meetings. The Yankees, Mets, Angels and Dodgers are all reportedly interested.

The Baltimore Sun named the Dodgers as the most aggressive bidder, citing a package that could include outfielder Matt Kemp, reliever Jonathan Broxton and Minor League starter Clayton Kershaw. Kemp and Broxton, both 23, have enjoyed marked success in the Majors over the past two seasons, while Kershaw, 19, is largely considered one of the top starting pitching prospects in the game.

That's the good news. But regardless of the talent received, any trade would almost certainly hinder Baltimore's chances to contend in the immediate future. Bedard is widely regarded as the best Orioles pitcher since Mike Mussina, and his absence would leave the team without an ace. The Orioles floundered once Bedard strained his oblique in August, having won 12 straight games that he started prior to the injury.

As late as mid-August, Bedard was considered a legitimate American League Cy Young Award contender.

"Earlier in the year, we had to answer the question about whether he was a bona fide No. 1," Orioles manager Dave Trembley said just before the injury. "Every time he goes out there, he just adds more and more credence to that. The guy's very special."

Kemp, Broxton, and Kershaw? Whoa.

The Baltimore Sun named the Dodgers as the most aggressive bidder, citing a package that could include outfielder Matt Kemp, reliever Jonathan Broxton and Minor League starter Clayton Kershaw. Kemp and Broxton, both 23, have enjoyed marked success in the Majors over the past two seasons, while Kershaw, 19, is largely considered one of the top starting pitching prospects in the game.

When I first saw this rumor, I literally went
eek.gif
and
laugh.gif

I wonder if people, even GM's/Baseball Ops, from other teams even watch West Coast games.

I understand asking for Kemp, Ethier, Young, Hu, La Roche, Abreu, Meloan and Kershaw.

However, how could they still ask for James Loney. He put up great numbers in 90 games and played superb defense. How could they ask for Jonathan Broxton. Setup men are a hot commodity and he was one of the best until September. Brox went 52 innings without allowing a HR. He allowed only one HR all season, thenin September he hit the wall. Loney and Broxton, IMO, are not prospects anymore. They are established MLB baseball players, they will have starting jobs,without a doubt, on Opening Day.

I won't blame Colletti for not cutting a deal, and it is going to take a lot to take Kemp away.

It's not like Colletti is Bill Stoneman, but the only guys people want is Kemp, Loney (
laugh.gif
), Broxton (
laugh.gif
), Kershaw, Billingsley (
laugh.gif
).

To be honest, it would piss me off if they deal Loney, Broxton and Billingsley. Those guys, in my eyes, are untouchable Dodgers.

Rumor: from Chi WhiteSox willing to take on Juan Pierre's contract straight up for Contreas .... but dodgers tryna push Pierre / Meloan for Garland.

I like Juan's speed, all we gotta do is move him to left.

But .. If it means keeping kemp and signing a CF ... then I'm all for it ;D

^^

That trade sounds mighty nice, since we would only have to deal with Contreras for another year. It looks like the Pierre/Meloan deal is off the table, hejust got traded to the Angels.

[h3]Hunter interested in Dodgers[/h3] [h5]Posted: Monday November 19, 2007 07:22AM ET[/h5]
Free agent center fielder Torii Hunter is interested in signing with the Dodgers. "The Dodgers are definitely near the top," Hunter told Yahoo! Sports. "With Joe Torre there, things have got to change. He's bringing his history with them. I'm telling you, they're going to start winning."

Riverside Press-Enterprise

Back
Top Bottom