Official 10' NFL Offseason Thread: CIN sign T.O. 1yr/2m

Also...About these Bungals. Something tells me they did great. Carson shall show up at some point to be the mechanically and mentally sound QB he is....Right?

No mention of Leon Washington being traded?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Also...About these Bungals. Something tells me they did great. Carson shall show up at some point to be the mechanically and mentally sound QB he is....Right?

Right. Watch your mouth though. Its Bengals.

A lot of other fans have been complaining about not getting a safety, but we did pick one up as a free agent and Crocker, Williams aren't a bum tandem. When healthy I'm sure they can produce. Roy barely played last year and Crocker got hurt towards the end. So yeah we could possibly be better at the safety spot, but I'm at a wait and see approach. Zimmer will get these guys to bust their
grin.gif

Carson, if provided the protection and good play calling, BETTER play at a Pro Bowl level. He has OCHO still, Bryant was a nice pick up. Andre
grin.gif
, He still good, just a rough year I guess. Jordan Shipley can be our Wes Welker and I look for Quan to improve. Our TE situation is a little shaky. Chase Coffman can be good I guess, but He has to get on the field first. Greshman, we'll see come camp and preseason who can contribute this year.

This is so weird for me though. Since forever now, we have drafted out of pure need almost. Now we are kinda just stacking up on talent now.
laugh.gif
Its crazy

[h2]Source: Gholston's deal restructured[/h2]

By Rich Cimini and Adam Schefter
ESPNNewYork.com

Turns out the New York Jets did more than change Vernon Gholston's position for 2010. They also took some money from his pocket.

The Jets have restructured Gholston's contract, a source familiar with the situation said on Sunday. While the specific numbers weren't immediately available, the team lowered his base salary (originally $1.9 million), with a chance for him to recoup the money by reaching incentives, a source said.

The important part of the restructuring is this: It ensures that Gholston, the disappointing first-round pick in 2008, will go to training camp with the team and will have a chance to earn playing time.

Gholston appeared to be on shaky ground at the end of last season, as the organization deliberated on whether to give him another season or to cut bait. With it being an uncapped year, it would've been the ideal time to unload him without a salary-cap hit. They decided to retain him, but with a different position.

After two seasons at outside linebacker, Gholston was moved recently to defensive end, where he will play behind Shaun Ellis. The change, first reported by ESPNNewYork.com, was cemented when they signed free-agent pass rusher Jason Taylor, formerly of the Dolphins.

Rex Ryan, who confirmed the move Saturday in his post-draft news conference, said Gholston at defensive end "will give us the opportunity to be more athletic at the position." In reality, it puts Gholston one step closer to the door.

Gholston was the sixth overall choice in 2008, and signed a five-year contract with $21 million in guarantees. So far, it looks like one of the worst contracts in recent history. In two seasons, he has yet to record a sack.

I hate the +#*%@#! Bills so much, they really blow chucks. This team is going to be awful and will probably have the worst offensive line in the history of the league.  
mad.gif

Originally Posted by h3at23

[h2]Source: Gholston's deal restructured[/h2]

By Rich Cimini and Adam Schefter
ESPNNewYork.com

Turns out the New York Jets did more than change Vernon Gholston's position for 2010. They also took some money from his pocket.

The Jets have restructured Gholston's contract, a source familiar with the situation said on Sunday. While the specific numbers weren't immediately available, the team lowered his base salary (originally $1.9 million), with a chance for him to recoup the money by reaching incentives, a source said.

The important part of the restructuring is this: It ensures that Gholston, the disappointing first-round pick in 2008, will go to training camp with the team and will have a chance to earn playing time.

Gholston appeared to be on shaky ground at the end of last season, as the organization deliberated on whether to give him another season or to cut bait. With it being an uncapped year, it would've been the ideal time to unload him without a salary-cap hit. They decided to retain him, but with a different position.

After two seasons at outside linebacker, Gholston was moved recently to defensive end, where he will play behind Shaun Ellis. The change, first reported by ESPNNewYork.com, was cemented when they signed free-agent pass rusher Jason Taylor, formerly of the Dolphins.

Rex Ryan, who confirmed the move Saturday in his post-draft news conference, said Gholston at defensive end "will give us the opportunity to be more athletic at the position." In reality, it puts Gholston one step closer to the door.

Gholston was the sixth overall choice in 2008, and signed a five-year contract with $21 million in guarantees. So far, it looks like one of the worst contracts in recent history. In two seasons, he has yet to record a sack.
Pay cut, position change. Next: pink slip.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I hate the +#*%@#! Bills so much, they really blow chucks. This team is going to be awful and will probably have the worst offensive line in the history of the league.  
mad.gif

look on the bright side the bills will take jake locker with the number 1 pick next year
happy.gif

Originally Posted by jerseymizzle

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

all i know is the packers have a new throwback. I dont think they would add a alternate. People would respond well to it
a throwback is an alternate.
i personally i dont consider that an alternate per se. and alternate to me is like that black cardinal uniform or Miamis orange. not some throwback they will wear one year, one or two times. nut thats just be.

[h2]Thomas free to sign with another team[/h2]
By Mike Reiss
ESPNBoston.com
Linebacker Adalius Thomas was released by the Patriots on Monday, according to an NFL source, ending a three-year tenure that started with promise and concluded with Thomas publicly sparring with the club.

[h4]Reiss: A lesson in 'buyer beware'[/h4]
reiss_mike_m.jpg

Both the Patriots and Adalius Thomas share the accountability for his situation in New England going downhill in a hurry. Mike Reiss

Thomas was the highest-priced free-agent acquisition in team history, signing a five-year, $35 million contract in 2007, but he turned out to be one of the biggest personnel missteps in Bill Belichick's 11-year tenure.

In the end, it was a pairing in which both sides didn't get what they felt was advertised.

Thomas had issues with his role, expecting to be used as more of a pure pass rusher, while the Patriots were disappointed with Thomas' production and presence in the locker room.

The 32-year-old Thomas wasn't expected back with the Patriots in 2010. The main question was whether he would be released or traded, and his $4.9 million base salary for 2010 made a trade unlikely.

Given the timing of the release, it appears the Patriots tried to trade Thomas during the draft and when nothing materialized, they went ahead with the release.

Thomas' final season in New England was a rocky one, highlighted by his benching for a game against the Tennessee Titans on Oct. 18, and then being sent home with three other players for being late to an 8 a.m. meeting on a snowy, icy December morning. That contrasted the early days of Thomas' tenure, when he printed "Humble Pie" T-shirts and distributed them to teammates as a sign of how he was buying in to the Patriots' approach.

The 32-year-old Thomas played in 39 regular-season games for the Patriots, with 35 starts, totaling 148 tackles and 14.5 sacks. He is now a free agent and figures to draw consideration from the New York Jets. Thomas thrived under Jets head coach Rex Ryan when Ryan was the Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator and Thomas was his star linebacker.

Jets linebacker Bart Scott said on "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on ESPN Radio in March that Thomas would like to play for the Jets if he were released by New England.

"It's funny," Scott said. "I was hanging with Adalius Thomas for Super Bowl weekend. We're buddies from back in the day. He made it public that he's expressed an interest in joining Rex. I think some of his better years of his career have been a part of the Ravens' defense and under Rex Ryan's tutelage. It'll be exciting."

Thomas later told the Boston Herald that conversation never happened and that he had never discussed joining the Jets with Scott.

"I've heard of all the chatter up there about me," Thomas wrote the Herald. "It was about something Bart Scott said on TV, [and] that's not what was said . . . I have never told anyone that I wanted to leave and go play for the Jets."

Thomas told Boston radio station 98.5 The Sports Hub in February that he wasn't sure whether he would be released but said he wanted to play "somewhere where I'm wanted and where I'm going to have fun. That's where I want to be."

He stopped short of saying he felt unwanted in New England, but told 98.5: "I definitely didn't have fun. It was definitely a frustrating year as far as that goes."

John Clayton reports the Jaguars have released John Henderson and Patriots released Adralius Thomas...and from NBCSports.com...

JaMarcus Russell has beefed up to 300 pounds, a league source tells Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post.
Russell was already overweight at 290, so he's sliding in the wrong direction. We'd say his imminent release might motivate the former No. 1 overall pick to get in shape, but history has proven that won't be the case.

[h1]Source: Jaguars to cut DT Henderson[/h1]
By Adam Schefter
ESPN

After using their top two picks on defensive tackles, the Jacksonville Jaguars are saying goodbye to the best one the franchise has known.

Jacksonville will release former Pro Bowl defensive tackle John Henderson on Monday, according to a source close to the situation.

Henderson had two years and $11 million remaining on his contract, and Jacksonville felt more comfortable not paying it and relying on its rookies.

With the 10th overall pick, the Jaguars selected California defensive tackle Tyson Alualu and with their second pick, Jacksonville took Louisiana Tech defensive tackle 'Anthony Smith in the third round.

Henderson will be free to sign with any team.

Before the weekend, the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants had expressed some interest.

The Jaguars also withdrew their tender offer to linebacker Clint Ingram, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Originally Posted by CasperJr

Originally Posted by coryturner

call me crazy but i think the bears are gon be the worst team in the league

Explain please.
nerd.gif
 yes yes plz do

1.the bears have the most OVER RATED qb in the NFL in jay picker
2.your o-line is awful the worst in the nfl
3.no WR devin hester as your number? lmao
4.one of the oldest defense in the NFL
5.speaking of defense I remember the ravens and cardinals lighting the bears up they could not even stop the lions when ya was at home
indifferent.gif

6.peppers is going to avg 5 sacks a season now that he has that contract
7.your o-line SUCKS
8.matt forte is a bum too avg 3.2 yard a carry
9.no fs josh bullocks daniel manning really
indifferent.gif

10.and lovie smith is the dumbest coach in the NFL always getting out coached

Explain please.
nerd.gif
 yes yes plz do

5.speaking of defense I remember the ravens and cardinals lighting the bears up they could not even stop the lions when ya was at home
indifferent.gif

6.peppers is going to avg 5 sacks a game now that he has that contract
7.your o-line SUCKS
indifferent.gif

Daaayum!
laugh.gif

Explain please.
nerd.gif
 yes yes plz do

indifferent.gif

7.your o-line SUCKS
indifferent.gif

That alone will make them the best team EVER 
laugh.gif

80 Sacks per year avg
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

how much money has fat boy stolen from the raiders so far?
Bottom line: just a shade under $40 million to date, and that's including another guaranteed $3mill this year.
roll.gif
smh.gif

Here's a full breakdown courtesy of National Football Post:

Russell’s enormous cost to the Raiders

Even if his career is over, QB will earn almost $40 million.

The Raiders have put themselves in the running for the team with the least cost-effective player in the history of football. The end seems near for JaMarcus Russell, the top pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, with the announcement that the Raiders have decided to keep him on the bench as a healthy backup quarterback and allow journeyman Charlie Frye to start on Sunday.

If he hadn’t already, Russell now moves to the head of the conversation -- along with Ryan Leaf and Tony Mandarich – as the biggest draft mistakes in NFL history. Although those players qualify based on when they were picked and their on-field performances – or lack of – Russell makes even a stronger case because of the immense financial ramifications of his selection.

Russell has become the poster child for the problem with the rookie compensation system, rewarding a few players who have never played with more than most Pro Bowlers receive. With that in mind, let’s look at the deal, where it has been and where it might go.

The choice

The Raiders -- enamored with Russell’s remarkable arm strength and decent Wonderlic score of 24 – chose him over other top prospects that year, including Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis and quarterback Brady Quinn (a story for another day).

The selection of Russell brought a massive financial obligation, enhanced by the acknowledged “quarterback premium.

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Explain please.
nerd.gif
 yes yes plz do

indifferent.gif

7.your o-line SUCKS
indifferent.gif

Daaayum!
laugh.gif
i meant a season my fault

Back
Top Bottom