**Official '11 NYK LOCKOUT thread*** lockout over

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

How come no one has mentioned Greg Oden yet? I'm think he'll try to get out of Portland and he needs a change of scenery. He can be a BIG risk, but also a big reward.

I really like Tyson Chandler for the Knicks, but with the way he's been playing latley--I don't see Mark Cuban letting him go. They'll let Haywood go before Chandler.
A few of us mentioned him awhile back, I know AMP and I were on board with the idea. Portland seems open to giving him at least his QO but I don't know what their front office is doing since they just fired their GM so who knows.

I'd love to see Wilson back here but I just can't see him signing here for the MLE unless he has NO other offers for more than that. Dude would basically be signing back just to go through what he did last year. If he signed a cap friendly deal would that not just sweeten the pot for NO if they indeed are going to trade CP3 and we're in play? Can't see Wilson's agent letting that happen. Then again he did switch to Happy Walters if I'm not mistaken, can anyone confirm this?

Dalembert could be a nice piece for 1/2 years but IMO if he got the full MLE we'd be looking at a Desagana Diop type return over the full length of the contract.

fact is we are gonna be a very similar team next year. 2012 is when we will see serious changes. whether we get a star or whatever

So is CP3 gonna happen or is it still speculation? There are a couple of decent bigs on the hornets roster someone like D.West or Emeka Okafor but unlikely pickups.
Andrew Bynum will prob be on the trade block but i cant see him going to NY.

Theres a real shortage of true bigs available, I cant see howard leavin orlando but somelike hibbert might be within range both in terms of salary cap and role player potential.

At guard someone like Darren Collison or Jeff Teague could be nice pickups both showing potential in the playoffs.

How come no one has mentioned Greg Oden yet? I'm think he'll try to get out of Portland and he needs a change of scenery. He can be a BIG risk, but also a big reward.

I really like Tyson Chandler for the Knicks, but with the way he's been playing latley--I don't see Mark Cuban letting him go. They'll let Haywood go before Chandler.
So.......youguys do realize that because of Melo's greedy @!# the Knicks have nocap room to sign any of these guys, right? Chandler, Gasol and Jordanare WAY out of range. As in they literally shouldn't even be mentionedin this thread. Dalembert you'd have to throw the whole midlevel at,and then that would basically be the end to your summer. Reggie Evansand/or Chuck Hayes would probably be the way to go. But if you couldfind some way to get Dalembert and Evans/Hayes then the Knicks woulddefinitely be a lot better team.

sickkkk, lets not read my $!#$%!! article where i wrote a $!#$%!! paragraph on Greg Oden and his circumstances and wrote about possible cap situations for every player thats a possibility (in my eyes at least)
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Assuming the knicks are trying to be a CHAMPIONSHIP contender i just came in to this post to say......

After watching the heat through these playoffs there is NO WAY the knicks are gonna stand a chance against the heat with Dantoni as coach unless they find a way to get D.Howard

Dantoni's running this knicks team at full offensive potential is never going to be able to match the Offensive/ Defensive combo the heat have
ohwell.gif

In order to beat teams like the bulls and the heat (Who will both be at the top for a LONG time) the knicks would have to be able to win games in the 80's -90's, with dantoni that would NEVER happen. Being from NY i get a chance to watch the team enough, he was fine when he was running with young players trying to make the playoffs, but with Amare/ Melo this team is now ready to make that step and he isnt the coach

I think yall are underestimating Marc's defense. If we had the money and he was looking to leave I'd see him being a big help on our team. Yes he isn't as athletic as Chandler or Jordan or long like Dalembert but having a big body like him clogging the paint is very valuable. I'd think he'd be better defensively and offensively if he knew all he had to do was knock down the open shot so he focus more on rebounding.

AMP mentioned him a few times before.

Nothing but risk imo. No different than going after Yao Ming. I really don't like the idea of him being a Knick hoping he'd have any positive impact. Plus I doubt he'd want to come here for cheap and there were rumors that he wanted to play for MEM sfter claiming to be betrayed by POR.

Originally Posted by tyisny

Assuming the knicks are trying to be a CHAMPIONSHIP contender i just came in to this post to say......

After watching the heat through these playoffs there is NO WAY the knicks are gonna stand a chance against the heat with Dantoni as coach unless they find a way to get D.Howard

Dantoni's running this knicks team at full offensive potential is never going to be able to match the Offensive/ Defensive combo the heat have
ohwell.gif
i agree. miami really has the total package and is a legit 2-way team in that they can kill u on both ends. right now we have the offensive talent to match miami's but we're nowhere near as close to miami on defense. theres no way in hell we're beating miami with them finally getting in sync offensively unless we get a coach with actual defensive schemes and not just preaching hustle and hard work, unless of course u have dwight who's basically a defensive scheme himself.

i do think we should give mike one more year though.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I think yall are underestimating Marc's defense. If we had the money and he was looking to leave I'd see him being a big help on our team. Yes he isn't as athletic as Chandler or Jordan or long like Dalembert but having a big body like him clogging the paint is very valuable. I'd think he'd be better defensively and offensively if he knew all he had to do was knock down the open shot so he focus more on rebounding.

Nothing but risk imo. No different than going after Yao Ming. I really don't like the idea of him being a Knick hoping he'd have any positive impact. Plus I doubt he'd want to come here for cheap and there were rumors that he wanted to play for MEM sfter claiming to be betrayed by POR.
no one is arguing that we shouldnt go after Gasol if we had the $/he would leave Memphis and they wouldnt match. 100% you take that over nothing. what i and a few other members ARE arguing is that we would RATHER have a guy like DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler here. I would take any one of the 3 if we had the shot, but realistically we probably dont on any of them, however if we did my order would definitely be 1. DeAndre 2. Tyson 3. Gasol

and going after Oden is MUCH different than pursuing Yao. Yes, Oden has had his injury issues but he still has a high ceiling and even if he never reaches that ceiling, when hes healthy he is capable of giving us a defensive minded 7 footer who can give uz 10+ rpg and 2+ bpg, EXACTLY what we need. sure its a risk and sure he has HUGE injury concerns but it is a much different situation than Yao's.

Oden has has had many injuries but they have been in all different parts of his body, and they dont really have long term effects while Yao has one specific SEVERE injury that is career threatening. The concern with Yao is that he never recovers from this injury while the concern with Oden is that he gets injured again, but he is still healthy at the moment. which are 2 very different scenarios... and why the $!@+ would Oden want to go to Memphis when they are clearly content with Marc Gasol and Z Bo coming off his best ever NBA season?
laugh.gif

in unrelated draft news i have really been warming up to the possibility of selecting Josh Selby at 17. Im starting to think that of all the potential PGs that could be available he has the highest ceiling and therefore best shot of running this team long term. However he is also pretty unpolished and one of the biggest risks, but idk we might have to take it after not taking it in year's past. HE very well could just turn into a Toney Douglas type, and if we are looking for role players im looking at Faried all day rather than another undersized 2 guard, but Selby's potential intrigues me quite alot. Ive pretty much narrowed my list down to Selby, Faried, and Morris i think.

Originally Posted by THE GR8

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

no one is arguing that we shouldnt go after Gasol if we had the $/he would leave Memphis and they wouldnt match. 100% you take that over nothing. what i and a few other members ARE arguing is that we would RATHER have a guy like DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler here. I would take any one of the 3 if we had the shot, but realistically we probably dont on any of them, however if we did my order would definitely be 1. DeAndre 2. Tyson 3. Gasol

and going after Oden is MUCH different than pursuing Yao. Yes, Oden has had his injury issues but he still has a high ceiling and even if he never reaches that ceiling, when hes healthy he is capable of giving us a defensive minded 7 footer who can give uz 10+ rpg and 2+ bpg, EXACTLY what we need. sure its a risk and sure he has HUGE injury concerns but it is a much different situation than Yao's.

Oden has has had many injuries but they have been in all different parts of his body, and they dont really have long term effects while Yao has one specific SEVERE injury that is career threatening. The concern with Yao is that he never recovers from this injury while the concern with Oden is that he gets injured again, but he is still healthy at the moment. which are 2 very different scenarios... and why the $!@+ would Oden want to go to Memphis when they are clearly content with Marc Gasol and Z Bo coming off his best ever NBA season?
laugh.gif

in unrelated draft news i have really been warming up to the possibility of selecting Josh Selby at 17. Im starting to think that of all the potential PGs that could be available he has the highest ceiling and therefore best shot of running this team long term. However he is also pretty unpolished and one of the biggest risks, but idk we might have to take it after not taking it in year's past. HE very well could just turn into a Toney Douglas type, and if we are looking for role players im looking at Faried all day rather than another undersized 2 guard, but Selby's potential intrigues me quite alot. Ive pretty much narrowed my list down to Selby, Faried, and Morris i think.

Josh Selby has a higher ceiling then TD will ever have.

If we could have any of those 3 guys I agree with the order in pursuing them but I don't necessarily think getting Marc in that scenario is one where we're disappointed in getting him since I feel he does things the other 2 can't or haven't shown to yet (concerning Deandre).

As for Oden after I saw that injury report for him I convinced he has no future. Dude had a surgery as a preteen and now permanently walks with a limp cuz one leg is longer than the other. As far as I'm concerned he's one of those freak of nature tall guys that consistently are sick and end up dying young because of the height they've grown to. To me that's the same as Yao's. To me it's the same difference when the next day you don't know what it'll be with Oden. I mean how many parts of his body that are integral to running up and down a court does he have to break for ppl to realize he's the epitome of injury prone?

I don't know why he'd want to be in MEM but that was what the rumor/speculation was that allegedy came from him
laugh.gif
I know MEM don't got the money to get Oden and plan on keeping Marc.

The guy has to be Deandre Jordan imo
Oden has had
Microfracture in both knees
and the Patella in the left
Thats chronic
Tyson Chandler is too expensive
Dalembert isnt a "winning player"
Yao isnt taking the MLE and leaving Houston for a system he wont fit
Landry
Hayes
Foster
Ratliff
Hawes are all not close to the solution while all but Hawes is a legit rotation player
Kenyon Martin might work but you got to get a steal for him and you got to find another shooter
all of your realistic options sans Jordan end up with an offensively inept center who's old or Amare playing center.
The only options you have are Jordan or a trade, and Billups might have to leave in anydeal

Originally Posted by petermans

Josh Selby has a higher ceiling then TD will ever have.
thats exactly what i said and exactly why i said im warming up to taking the risk on him. what i said however was if he doesnt reach his ceiling and ends up being a TD like player (which is possible IF he doesnt pan out the way that he can) thats my concern and thats what would want to make me go for a Darius Morris or Faried over him... out of all the 3 i definitley think that Selby by far has the highest ceiling, but he is also the biggest risk of the 3.

With Faried you know exactly what you are getting and what he does fills a MAJOR need for us. but his ceiling is not much more than what he will already come in and be, which is a great defensive/rebounding/athletic role player that will do the Oakley-like tasks that Amare wont do, which is great for us. but if Selby or Morris can turn into the franchise PG we are looking for imo that is a bigger priority, but like i said Faried would be a safer pick than both and would be great here in NY with this team.

June 23 is the draft.

Lockout wouldn't really happen til July 1st at the earliest if im not mistaken. So yes draft would happen.

And no to Selby.

I'm down to sign Yao if he would take less money.... sit him out for the first 30 games.. so what

So you want Yao who Literally is being questioned if he will ever play again to play in a system where the main objective is RUN and jack up shots......... If Dolan gets that done then he is a money hungry bastatrd because that helps this team 0 percent, especially considering he's gonna demand the full MLE

Depends on how much money it is.. Some are saying Oden and Oden had injuries almost every yr since the 7th grade..

- Don't we still have Jerome Jordan ?

Lol yea i feel you on that i wouldn't take a chance on Oden either if he wanted the Full midlevel...... But atleast with Oden you have a guy who defensively is rare and can keep up in this system with Yao your even more of a liability on defense and he COMPLETELY congests thing for Amare and Melo

Originally Posted by tyisny

Lol yea i feel you on that i wouldn't take a chance on Oden either if he wanted the Full midlevel...... But atleast with Oden you have a guy who defensively is rare and can keep up in this system with Yao your even more of a liability on defense and he COMPLETELY congests thing for Amare and Melo
exactly. no to Yao even if hell take the vets minimum. Yao may never play again, and even if he does i see him coming back and (especially with this roster/system) providing us with the Eddy Curry syndrome where he can only clog the lane and not get back on defense and pretty much just make a negative impact on the court.

if were going for risks i would take Oden over Yao even if it costs us a little more because imo when healthy Oden can still be a 10+ rpg 2+ bpg kinda guy, but yeahh thats a pretty big IF so i understand yall who dont want to take that risk, i seem to be one of the more open members here when it comes to Oden and im still only about 50/50. Maybe 60/40 or 70/30 if it is either take the risk on Oden or go another season without any centers/frontcourt depth.

Fact is if we need to sign a big man this summer, it just has to happen with their being no 7 footers in this draft and, once Bismark is off the board, no centers at all worth the look at #17. And if we decide to adress our PG issues with that pick and get a Selby, Darius Morris, or whoever (which im not entirely against at all so long that they actually can eventually be a legit starting PG in the L and take over once Billups is gone) but IF we go that route instead of drafting a guy who would give us some depth in our frontcourt like a Faried, a Morris twin, etc. than we absolutely MUST sign some big men this summer.

As i have said there are the obvious centers that we are going after that probably are not so likely (the 2 most likely i would say would be Dalembert and Spencer Hawes who im sure most of us would take but not to the extent we would want a DeAndre Jordan.) Also, although they are not true centers, i definitley would not count out guys like Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes, and Kenyon Martin who could all potentially fly under the radar and be a steal (K-Mart i especially like because he is a tough veteran and would probably take a cheaper contract to play here because he is a veteran who has made alot of $, we have a team capable of winning, he has played/won in this area and likes NYC, and hes boys with guys like Melo on our team. imo he would be a GREAT big man to have come off the bench like hes been in Denver). Like i said i wouldnt even underestimate the value of getting a guy like Kurt Thomas back here for the vets minimum just to add as much depth as possible.

and we also cant forget about getting another peremeter scorer, which is definitley another necessity.

i dont see anything major happening this summer, but minor moves like what we do with the #17 pick or who we can sign this summer with the MLE can be make or break for this team next season imo. Which is why i think that although we are searching for a PG long term, unless we completely see that potential in a Selby or Morris it may be best to pass that up this summer in favor of getting guys who would fill roles we need right away next season (like Faried) because of all of our needs for next season, and while a PG may be our #1 long term goal along with a center (probably more) if we needed it to, it could be put off until next summer or 2012 because Billups/TD are capable of holding it down for the next 2 years need be.

and you guys were laughing when i said mike brown to be coach
30t6p3b.gif
but foreal though when is donnie geting his extention for his contract
alien.gif

Yao's mid range game is mean. He wouldn't necessarily be in the same lanes as Melo or STAT offensively. Just put him on the weak side.

Mike Brown aint %@@%. Just cuz the Lakers hired him doesn't mean it'd be a good idea for him to coach the Knicks. From what I'm reading LA fans think Buss is trying to sabotage the organization
laugh.gif

Yao doesnt help us become a better team at all. Hes only effective in the half court during pick and rolls and pick and pops. And we'd be going away from our uptempo pace to include him in the offense.

We're not an uptempo team anymore so having to work around Yao's physical inabilities wouldn't be that big of an issue, but he isn't the answer. We need a more athletic and dependable big to put next to Amare.

Back
Top Bottom