OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS OFFSEASON THREAD: (95-57) NL West Champs --- NLCS Chumps

Ramirez is going to pick up the option, and have a productive 2010. Then he is going to bounce to the AL.

I'm tired of talking about the McCourt's drama, it is going to be a slow messy process.

I found this interesting on Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness:
The MSTI 16-Step 2010 plan
October 24, 2009 at 1:07 pm | In 2010 plan!, Charlie Haeger, Chin-Lung Hu, Erik Bedard, Juan Pierre sucks, Luis Castillo, Ramon Hernandez, Troy Glaus, Xavier Paul | 34 Comments

Remember last year's never-ending Manny saga? Well, we look to avoid that particular brand of torture this time around, but this is going to be an incredibly busy offseason for the Dodgers. From the McCourt divorce mess to the cries for an ace to the fact that only two of the starting 9 are under contract right now (Rafael Furcal & Casey Blake) to the 13 free agents and 9 arbitration-eligibles, this winter's going to be a laugh a minute.

Oh, and it's the worst free agent class in years. So there's that.

With all that in mind, here's the official MSTI Plan for 2010. Just like last year, this is what I'd do if I were GM, not what I think they will do. This is always the longest article of the year, so strap in! Also remember, when some of these end being grossly wrong, that I don't have access to the internal neogotations - and if anything was learned from last year, what the market looks like in October is often nothing like what it does in January.

According to the most excellent Cot's Baseball Contracts, the Opening Day payroll in 2009 was $100.4 million. That's down from $118.5m in 2008, but much of that is simply due to how many roster spots were taken up by young players making the minimum. It remains to be seen what the impending McCourt situation will do to the payroll, but I do think they'd take a lot of heat if they dropped below $100 million. Given that they did exceed that with incentives and made some extra money off the playoff run, we'll say $110m is the goal.

Currently, the Dodgers have $40.9m in obligations for 2010 between Hiroki Kuroda, Casey Blake, Rafael Furcal, and Juan Pierre. (Hooray! No more Jason Schmidt!). Assuming that Manny picks up his option (spoiler alert: he will) that's $10m more due to the terms of his deferred contract ($5m of his 2009 salary, $5m of his 2010 salary). That's $50.9m, plus about $4.6m in payments still due Andruw Jones, Nomar Garciaparra, & Orlando Hudson's incentives. Add in another $4m or so for guys who are under team control and not yet arbitration-eligible (Clayton Kershaw, Scott Elbert, Ramon Troncoso, James McDonald, etc.) and that gets you to about $60m. Can you you fill out the team for the remaining $50m? Let's see…

1) Start signing some young players to contracts!

This is an absolute must, and one I've been harping on for years now. Well, this is the year it comes back to bite you in the %@*, because the core of this team is all arbitration-eligible: Chad Billingsley, Russell Martin, Matt Kemp, James Loney, Andre Ethier, George Sherrill, Hong-Chih Kuo, Jonathan Broxton, and Jason Repko.

It's insane to think you can go year-to-year with these guys and not get killed. Besides, are we really waiting to see what Matt Kemp can do? Give the man a long-term contract. I know there's some danger in saying that so callously, as I'd probably have said the same thing about Russell Martin two years ago, but still, Kemp has to be priority #1, with Ethier and Billingsley close behind.

Repko's going to get cut loose, but the other 7 made approximately $13.3m this year. Guessing at what each will make in arbitration and/or long-term deals is a futile endeavor, so for now I'll plug in the guesses made at Dodger Thoughts - that the 7 will be making $38.5m total next year after arbitration raises.
$60m + $38.5m = $98.5m

$98.5m already? This is going to be a short article.

2) Offer Orlando Hudson arbitration, expecting (and hoping) he'll decline. Hudson's going to be 32 in December, and after a mostly decent season, you have to figure he's not going to pass up what might be his last chance to get a multi-year deal - in addition to any lingering bad feelings he might have over being benched in October. You might remember last year, when I wasn't a big fan of handing over draft picks to the Diamondbacks for signing him in the first place. Well, we got an okay season out of him, so why not try to recoup the draft picks too? Even better, the worst-case scenario is that he does accept, and we can put off trying to plug the 2B hole for another year. But, he won't.
$98.5m + $0m = $98.5m (with two picks!)

3) Offer Randy Wolf arbitration, expecting (but not hoping) he'll decline. I think we'd all like to see Wolf back, but there's no way he takes this offer. He's 33, coming off the best season of his career, and might be the 2nd or 3rd best pitcher in a horrible free-agent market. You don't think he's going to try to get 3 years and $30+ million somewhere? Of course he is. At least we'll pick up some draft picks.
$98.5m + $0m = $98.5m (with two more picks!)

4) Don't offer arbitration to any other of the free agents, and don't pick up Jon Garland's $10m option. This includes the obvious (Schmidt, Castro, Thome, Ausmus, Milton, Loretta, Mientkiewicz, Weaver, and Mota), the less obvious but still no (Belliard), and the already-cut (Ohman). You could make a case for Belliard, I guess, but I think there's a decent chance he accepts, which I'm not that interested in.
$98.5m + $0m = $98.5m

5) Trade Juan Pierre to the Mets for 2B Luis Castillo, assuming Hudson turned down arbitration. Okay, hear me out on this. Does anyone here think that Blake DeWitt is just going to get handed the 2B job? No way. Ivan DeJesus is a good prospect, but he missed all of 2009 with a broken leg and hasn't yet made it past AA, so he'll need time to get back into the swing of things. With Tony Abreu in Arizona and Orlando Hudson unlikely to accept arbitration, you've got a huge hole at 2B, and with the payroll situation so tight, you just can't have a $10m backup OF in Pierre. But the only way to move him is to either eat the whole contract, which doesn't save any money and costs us the slight value he has on the field, or to move him for an equally bad contact.

The numbers work out almost perfectly, as Pierre has $18.5m left on his deal, and Castillo has $18m. On the field, the Mets' first year at spacious CitiField was a disaster, especially in the outfield. You know who played the most LF for the Mets last year? Gary Sheffield, and he was one of 9 left fielders who trotted out there. Plus, Carlos Beltran missed half the year in center with bad knee problems, which no one's sure he can overcome. Their #1 leadoff hitter with Jose Reyes out? Angel Pagan. This is one situation where Pierre's famous durability will help, because the Mets are dying for warm bodies. Since no one hits homers in that park anyway, his lack of power won't hurt, and his speed can really help cut down on balls in the gaps.

For the Dodgers, well, I've never been much of a Castillo fan. At all. But if the goal is to dump Pierre's contract, you can't expect to get Chase Utley, right? And at least you can fill a hole in the lineup. Mets GM Omar Minaya got nearly as much flak for the 4-year deal he gave to Castillo before '09 as Ned Colletti did for the Pierre deal, as he was 32 and coming off a dreadful (and injury-filled) 2008. However, Castillo did bounce back with a decent 2009, putting up only a 96 OPS+ but a very nice .387 OBP.

It's not perfect. But would you rather spend $18m in the next 2 years on a lousy backup outfielder or on a mediocre starting second baseman who'd fill a need? Do it, Ned.

(Update: interesting discussion in the comments. A Mets fan believes this wouldn't happen because it would leave a hole for the Mets at 2B… but favored commentator grabarkewitz points out that the Mets and Orlando Hudson expressed mutual interest in each other last season, and that could make sense again without Castillo around.)
$98.5m - $0 = $98.5m

6) Don't go crazy with the idea that "you must get an ace". I wrote a whole piece on this just the other day, so I won't rehash the entire thing here. Just remember the take-home points: A) that there are very few - if any - "aces" available, and B) that the Dodgers would hardly be the only team in the hunt for them. Besides, Clayton Kershaw was already a top-20 pitcher and can only be expected to improve. Remember, this doesn't mean I don't want an ace, just that there are limitations in the available supply of them and the Dodgers' ability to spend prospects and money, and both Colletti and Torre are aware of that. If Roy Halladay becomes available and it doesn't require giving up Kershaw or Chad Billingsley, then great. Otherwise, we have to live within the confines of reality.

One other thought on this; while the Dodgers may need an "ace" to win the World Series, they don't necessarily need one to get to the playoffs. The best course of action might be to hold off until the trade deadline, see how Kershaw and Billingsley have developed, and see what teams out of the race are willing to talk then. Remember, pennants aren't necessarily won by the winners of winter headlines.

That said, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any work done on the starting rotation, and there's where we're going with the next four steps…
$98.5m + $0m = $98.5m

7) Resign Vicente Padilla to a 1 year, $4m deal. Judging Padilla's market value right now is nearly impossible, because I can't think of any comparables. How do you judge a guy who was so hated in his own clubhouse that he was cut by a team in the pennant race in August, and then resurfaced with another contender to be fantastic down the stretch and dominant in 2 of 3 playoff starts?

On one hand, you'd think that a guy who pitched like he did would be in huge demand in a lousy pitching market. On the other hand, he's 32 and has that horrible reputation. I can't see anyone giving him a multi-year deal, and I'm maybe wearing slightly blue-tinted glasses when I read the articles that say he enjoyed his time in LA and was a model citizen, so perhaps he'd be more interested in staying with the Dodgers than wringing out every last cent.

If he stays, he'd be a nice addition to the rotation. He's hit 200 IP three times and hasn't had less than 115 IP since 2001. Hey, he'd hardly be the first guy to leave a small ballpark in the tougher league to come to a pitcher's park in the NL and succeed, right?
$98.5m + $4m = $102.5m

glasses.gif
Leave Chad Billingsley alone. I can't believe this is even an issue, but the people who are on the "dump Billingsley" train are absolute fools. Yes, he was terrible in the second half of the season, I can't deny that. But just remember the facts, here. We're talking about a 25-year-old guy who's shown all the signs of being a stud,who had a 2 month slump. In addition, he was fighting leg injuries for much of the time, and came back from a September trip to the bullpen to take a no-hitter into the 6th inning against Washington and then allowed just one hit into the 6th against San Diego, before getting hit in both cases.

So sure, he's got issues to work out. Maybe it was fatigue, maybe his off-season broken leg put a cramp in his conditioning, maybe it's mental - who knows. It's just that the idea that a bad slump should kick him from "future ace" to "not worthy of employment" is insane.

Also, don't forget, the two "aces" that everyone wanted to go get this summer? Cliff Lee was so bad in his age-28 season that he got sent to the minors. Roy Halladay was so bad in his 4th major league season that he got shipped back out to the minors, too. How do you think Blue Jay fans would feel if they'd given up on Doc in 2001? Exactly how we'd feel if Billingsley was moved now. Just leave the kid alone, and let him pitch. Jesus.
$102.5m + $0m = $102.5m

9) Take a chance on one of the four injured veteran pitchers trying to make a comeback - Ben Sheets, Erik Bedard, Justin Duchscherer, or Rich Harden. Just because I want to leave Billingsley be and don't think there's a chance to get a real "ace" doesn't mean there shouldn't be improvement in the rotation. But given payroll concerns and the lousy free agent market, you're going to have to be a bit creative.

That being the case, taking a crack at one of these four - while risky - could prove to have huge rewards. All four have proven to be outstanding pitchers when healthy, and while the "when healthy" part is always an issue, that's also going to help keep their prices down. So which one?

Well, Sheets seems like he's going to be the highest in demand, and is already drawing interest from several teams. Since the idea is to do this on the cheap, getting into a bidding war over him isn't a great idea. Duchscherer missed the entire season not only with an elbow injury, but with depression, and I can't find any information on his status.

So do we like Bedard or Harden? Bedard will be 31 next year and made just 30 starts for Seattle over the last two seasons, though he did have a 3.24 ERA and strike out a man per inning. Harden, 28 next year, was healthier (26 starts last year) and struck out more (nearly 11 per 9) but his WHIP and ERA were each higher than Bedard's. Plus, he asked to be shut down in September, before the end of the season.

It's really all kind of a crapshoot. I suppose I'd rather the lefty than the righty, so I'll pick Bedard. As for contract, I have no idea what's right here. 2 years, $15m?
$102.5m + $7.5m = $110m

10) Give Charlie Haeger a chance. I'm not saying to just hand the guy a starting gig, but he does seem to be completely invisible around the Dodgers, and it's foolish to write him off. We've been running a "free Charlie Haeger!" campaign around here all summer, and he's done nothing to change that.

The guy was one of the top pitchers in AAA last year, despite being in the high-altitude deathpad of Albuquerque. Then when he came up to the bigs, he was more than adequate - 19 IP in 6 games (2 starts), allowing a WHIP of just 1.053 and an ERA of 3.32.

With all of the complaints we heard all year about how the Dodger starters weren't going deep into games, why wouldn't we want to see a knuckleballer who could soak up innings? Even if he's "just" league-average, there's still a lot of value in that. So give him a chance to crack the bullpen as a long man and spot starter, available to step in if/when someone gets hurt. Besides, don't let the knuckleball die!
$110m + $0m = $110m

11) Sign Troy Glaus to a 1 year, $5 million deal to be a power threat off the bench. There's a reason the Dodgers went out and got Jim Thome for the stretch run, and that's because the main foursome on the bench (Ausmus, Loretta, Castro, Pierre) combined for a grand total of two homers all year. That's just not acceptable. But the way this team is put together, if you need power off the bench, it has to be from the corner infield positions - you're never hitting for Manny/Kemp/Ethier, and you can't find power in the middle infield.

So why Glaus? Well, if you look at the list of free agent corner infielders, you see a lot of guys who either don't fit the bill (Rich Aurillia, Geoff Blum, Mike Lamb, etc.) or guys who won't accept a backup role (Adrian Beltre, Mark DeRosa, etc.) Glaus is 33 and coming off a season almost entirely lost to various injuries, and he hit just .172 in 14 games - so no one's dying to give him a starting job. That said, he's hit 20 homers or more 8 times and would fit well on a team that has a 3Bman in Casey Blake who's not exactly a stud and a 1Bman in James Loney who's not known for his power. Plus, he's a Southern California native who might enjoy the chance to go home.

Even better, if he does regain his old form (he did hit 27 homers with an .856 OPS in 2008) and forces his way into the lineup, it's hardly the worst thing in the world if he takes the 3B job for himself and pushes Blake into the 4-corners bench bat that he's really more suited for anyway. At the least, you'd have a nice three-way time-share between Glaus, Blake, and Loney at 1st and 3rd. Anything's better than Mark Loretta, right?
$110m + $5m = $115m

12) Realize that you have to stick with Russell Martin for lack of any other options, but sign a better backup. No one was more disappointed with Martin's failures this year than I - as you'll see in our positional reviews later this week - but the sad fact is, you have to stick with him in 2010. The only thing harder to get than an ace pitcher is a solid catcher, and a quick look around the list of available free agents is a study in depression. You're not going to get one via trade either, because not every club has a good catcher and if they do, they're not likely to give him up. So all you can really do is hope that as Martin enters his age-27 season, that his career isn't over before it starts. Hey, wouldn't Carlos Santana look good right about now instead of Casey Blake? Yeah, I thought so.

However, that doesn't mean that you have to just accept the hand Martin has dealt you. While I expect that if Brad Ausmus wants to return, the Dodgers will happily take him back, I'd rather have a guy who's able to share the load a little more with Martin should #55 completely falter again. Unfortunately, the list of available catchers is worse than I thought. Jason LaRue? Sal Fasano? No thanks.

So we're going to do a little wishful thinking and sign former Red Ramon Hernandez to a 1 year, $1m contract. Hernandez will be 34 in 2010 and coming off a mediocre season interrupted by injury, so he's hardly anyone's starter next year. That said, he's had his moments (7 double-digit homer seasons), including 15 in 2008, and while his '09 OBP of .332 isn't great, nor is it in the .200's like so many of these other guys. I don't like this move all that much, but there's just not a lot of options here.
$115m + $1m = $116m

13) Don't mess with the bullpen. The 2010 bullpen looks to be nearly the same as 2009's, as the big cogs (Broxton, Sherrill, Kuo, Belisario, & Troncoso) are all under team control. On top of that, you still have Scott Elbert, James McDonald, and Charlie Haeger in the mix as long men/spot starters, Cory Wade trying to recapture the magic in AAA, and young guys like Josh Lindblom nearly ready to make an impact. It's unreasonable to think that everyone repeats their great 2009 performances, but there's also so much talent and depth here that it's not worth it to go out and spend big money on an import.
$116m + $0 = $116m

14) Give Chin-Lung Hu first crack at being the backup middle infielder. I have no idea what to make of Hu anymore, following a dreadful 2006 (.660 OPS) with a superlative 2007 (.871 OPS) and decent 2008 and '09 seasons (.708 and .725) in the minors. So he's probably never going to hit enough to be an everyday big leaguer for a contending team. However, he is by all accounts a Gold Glove level defender. If you can put up with Juan Castro's awfulness all season, why not upgrade the glove and take at least a chance of offensive upside with it? There's no reason to stick Hu back in AAA yet again.
$116m + $0 = $116m

15) Give Xavier Paul first crack at being the 4th outfielder. Assuming that you have in fact dealt Juan Pierre, you're going to need a backup outfielder. Of the many issues that bothered me about Pierre, near the top was that he didn't fit the role very well; a 4th outfielder on this team is basically going to be a defensive caddy for Manny, and with Pierre's horrible throwing arm, that wasn't a great fit for him.

Paul's going to be 25 in 2010, so if he has any future, it's now. Not only is he known as a terrific outfielder with a strong arm, he's got nothing left to prove in AAA (.841 OPS in 2008, .878 in 2009) and got a taste of the bigs (with a homer and a double among 3 hits in 14 at-bats) before being sidelined with a nasty leg infection. Time to see what he can do.
$116m + $0 = $116m

16) So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye… to a group of veterans that were here in 2009, but shouldn't be in 2010 for a variety of reasons - some financial, and some performance-related. Jim Thome, Jon Garland, Ronnie Belliard, Doug Mientkiewicz, Jeff Weaver, Brad Ausmus, Guillermo Mota, Jason Repko, Mark Loretta, Juan Castro, and Will Ohman.
$116m + $0 = $116m

So after all of that, we have a roster that's almost exactly at our budget goal. This leaves your 2010 Opening Day Dodgers as…

SP Kershaw
SP Bedard
SP Billingsley
SP Kuroda
SP Padilla
RP Broxton
RP Sherrill
RP Troncoso
RP Kuo
RP Belisario
RP Elbert
RP Haeger

SS Furcal
RF Ethier
LF Ramirez
CF Kemp
3B Blake
1B Loney
C Martin
2B Castillo

BN Hernandez
BN Glaus
BN Hu
BN Paul

With guys like DeWitt, McDonald, Lindblom, and Lucas May in the minors ready to step in as needed or be used as trade bait for an in-season deal.

Go ahead. Tear it apart, you jackals.

I don't know about Luis Castillo (I want Uggla dammit!),
laugh.gif
, not a fan, but I do agree with getting rid of Pierre. I know a lot of you have fallen in love with him and many Dodger fans have fallen in love withhim as well. However, he is still the same player that we all hated for getting that awful contract, with the noodle arm, that got benched in favor of AndruwJones who was so terrible that it lead to Manny landing on our laps. I'm glad he has left Dodger fans fickle doghouse, and would prefer for him to leavetown on a high note. He is a good dude.

If Juan Pierre ever goes back to starting for the Los Angeles Dodgers, he will become a black sheep once again. JP's worth ethic in 2007 was the same asit was in 2009,
laugh.gif
. I've always admired it, Dodger fans didn'tcare, I still don't want him as a starting OF.

I want Wolf back, but he is pricing himself out, and we would be fools to think he would have another career year. 3 years $24-27 million max, if he wants $30million plus...thanks for the memories. Your tricked out Ford GT w/Vader plates was
smokin.gif

I'm all for bringing Bedard on board, if we can't we need to pick up Garland's option. Garland isn't special but he is an innings eater. Ialso agree with the Billingsley point. He is too young and too talented to deal away. He was an All Star last season, unfortunately he fell apart in thesecond half, he is still 25. I agree with waiting until the All Star break to try and pry away an "Ace".

Didn't even think of Troy Glaus,
eek.gif
, interesting.

What do you guys think?

Troy Glaus sounds good to me. He's been so overshadowed and under the radar I can see why I didn't think of him.

Pierre needs to go. He worked wonders for us when needed, but he needs to get more burn elsewhere. Take what you can for him, eat up some of his $ if you haveto, but let him go.

I've been wanting Xavier to get a fair crack forever. Give him his shot. A REAL SHOT.
smh.gif

I'm still anxious on Lindblom but not as in a rush with him as I was during ST. Let him develop and polish his pitches a bit more , then throw him to LA.

Martin, Ai pinche Martin... What to do? I want him to succeed -- I have no choice he wears my teams colors, but I don't know how much more I can take. Idon't know if I can take anymore at all at this point.

Tell Russ it's time to live that single life word to McC, go back to France and fatten up, and stop trying to be Paul Bunyan at the plate
smh.gif
smh.gif

Congrats to Dre

[h3]Ethier voted Clutch award winner[/h3]Outfielder led Majors with six walk-off hits, including four homers
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

10/30/09 6:30 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers' season is over, but Andre Ethier is still coming up clutch.

The outfielder has been named the 2009 Major League Baseball's Clutch Performer of the Year presented by Pepsi after a fan vote on MLB.com. The award recognizes the player who performed his best with the game on the line.

Ethier led the Major Leagues with six walk-off hits, including a big league-best four walk-off home runs. That tied the MLB record for walk-off homers in one year previously set by Jimmy Foxx of the Red Sox in 1940 and Roy Sievers of the Washington Senators in 1957.

The other finalists for Clutch Performer of the Year were Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder, Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum, Twins catcher Joe Mauer, Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols and Yankees closer Mariano Rivera.

The award is the culmination of a season-long campaign in which fans voted for six different Clutch Performers of the Month. The 2009 winners were Royals right-hander Zack Greinke (April), Yankees outfielder Melky Cabrera (May), Lincecum (June), White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle (July), Yankees designated hitter Hideki Matsui (August) and Twins outfielder Michael Cuddyer (September). Ethier was a candidate for the June award.

The nominees each month and for the season-end award were selected by a special MLB.com editorial panel.

CC Sabathia, then with Milwaukee, was the Clutch Performer of the Year winner last season.

Ethier's six walk-off hits were the most in one season for a Major Leaguer since at least 1974, one more than David Ortiz's five for Boston in 2006, Ken Hrbek's five for Minnesota in 1987 and Cory Snyder's five for Cleveland in 1987. The four walk-off homers were the most for any player in a season since at least 1974.

Ethier had three walk-off hits in June alone: June 5, a two-run double that beat Philadelphia, 4-3; June 6, his second home run of the game coming in the 12th inning of a 3-2 win over Philadelphia; and June 29, a two-run homer in the 13th inning to beat Colorado, 4-2.

But he also hit two homers against San Diego in a 6-4 win June 9; he had a two-run triple in a 6-4 win over Anaheim June 20; and his first three-homer game with six RBIs in an 8-2 win over Seattle June 26. On the month, he slugged nine of his team-high 31 homers.

"It's just about having fun and enjoying the moment," Ethier said after the June 29 walk-off. "In a situation like that, it's just about emotion and excitement. You can see the energy going into the situation and one swing can end the game. I've just been trying to learn to balance that energy."

Ethier finished the season with 31 homers, 106 RBIs, 42 doubles and 96 runs scored. He had the Dodgers' first 30-homer season since Adrian Beltre in 2004, first 40-double season since Shawn Green in 2003 and was only the fourth in franchise history to do both in the same season, joining Babe Herman in 1930, Raul Mondesi in 1997 and Eric Karros in 1999.

Ethier didn't let up in the postseason. He was 6-for-12 with two homers, a triple and two doubles in Dodgers' National League Division Series win over the Cardinals and was 5-for-19 with a homer and double against the Phillies in the NL Championship Series. He scored seven runs and drove in six total in the two series.

"He's been really clutch for the team," said pitcher Chad Billingsley. "He's had all of those game-winning hits. He's been able to rise to the occasion."

And it's hard for anyone to know how good he will get, because his home run and RBI totals have increased each season: 11-55 in 2006 to 13-64 in 2007, 20-77 in 2008 and 31-106 in 2009.

"I still think he's got some more [untapped ability] once he gets the hitting zone figured out," said Dodgers manager Joe Torre.

"Guys that are pretty good players go their whole careers without one," observed teammate Randy Wolf. "He's been the guy who's done it for us over and over again. He's set such a precedent of being that guy, it's amazing. You have to have the opportunities to do it. When he gets them, he does it."

Since the start of 2008, Ethier's nine walk-off hits lead the Majors. His 21 homers at Dodger Stadium this year were the most for a left-handed hitter in stadium history.

http:// [h3]Lee could have been in LA[/h3]
9:40AM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Phillies[/h5]
Top Email

http:// [h3][/h3]
[h3]Padres bracing for Gonzalez trade?[/h3]
8:32AM ET

[h5]Adrian Gonzalez | Padres[/h5]
Top Email

Chris Ello of 619Sports.com wrote last week that the San Diego Padres sent out season ticket brochures without a single photo of star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, fueling rumors that perhaps the club is going to explore trading their most valuable commodity.

While Ello thinks doing so would be "without question the absolute dumbest, short-sighted move they could ever make," the Padres are years from contention and the longer they wait, the less value Gonzalez has as he approaches free agency where he's sure to break the bank and likely force the club's hand at that time.

We've already talked about how the presence of new GM Jed Hoyer could grease the wheels of a Gonzo-to-Boston trade, and Seattle is among other clubs that need left-handed power. There won't be a shortage of interest, if and when the Padres choose to put Gonzalez on the block.

Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune adds his opinion today, calling the hopes of Boston fans landing Gonzalez "wishful thinking."

http:// [h3][/h3]
[h3][/h3]
Does MLB want the Dodgers sold?
9:53AM ET

[h5]Los Angeles Dodgers[/h5]
Top Email

The divorce battle between Frank and Jamie McCourt seems to get uglier by the day. The Dodgers' ownership battle is playing out in the media on a daily basis, so Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times writes that Major League Baseball would love for the problem to simply go away.

Plaschke writes: "Nobody will publicly say it, but some think baseball quietly wants this team sold to anyone not named McCourt, these recent daily embarrassments being only the latest example of the sort of poor judgment not befitting a curator of what was once a national sports treasure

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/dodgers-notes-manny-schmidt-offseason.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Notes: Manny, Schmidt, Offseason[/h1]
By Steve Adams [November 1 at 2:04pm CST]

MLB.com's Ken Gurnick takes a look at what he figures to be an "exciting" offseason for the Dodgers. Let's go over the highlights:
  • No surprise that Gurnick lists Manny Ramirez as the biggest question mark heading into 2010. Manny's 37, and while many feel he's a lock to pick up his $20MM option for 2010, Gurnick cautions not to be too sure. As Gurnick points out, Manny is as unpredictable as they come, as is his agent, Scott Boras. Gurnick reminds us of 2006, when no one thought J.D. Drew would walk away from $33MM guaranteed, but he and Boras did just that, securing more years and more dollars with the Red Sox. Additionally, Manny's told his teammates that the pounding on his legs is getting to him, and that he ought to be a designated hitter.
  • The Dodgers are set to have up to $40MM come off the books this offseason, which should more than cover the arbitration raises due to Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp, James Loney, Russell Martin, Chad Billingsley, Jonathan Broxton, George Sherrill, and Hong-Chih Kuo.
  • Jason Schmidt accounts for $15.5MM of that $40MM sum. Gurnick says that Schmidt is "expected to retire."
  • The Dodgers did extremely well signing Orlando Hudson and Randy Wolf to one-year deals last offseason, but now find themselves right back where they started, writes Gurnick, with second base and starting pitching as the biggest needs.
  • Gurnick lists outfielder Jason Repko as a non-tender candidate.
  • Rather than give the second base job to Blake DeWitt, Gurnick feels that an acquisition for second base is "almost a certainty."

I'm gonna go watch @ game that same week/weekend @ yankee stadium. Either vs the mets or the phillies. I might even hit up citi field on tuesday if I'mstill there.

You guys should check out dodgerdivorce.com

outlines all the %*%%+#!! going on with our ownership.

It's getting increasingly difficult to imagine this team not having a new owner by this time next year

hes making it such a mess by not keeping this out of the media. at the same time its killing his chance of retaining the team. i dont get what he is trying todo for himself.

[h1]Vicente Padilla accidentally shot in leg[/h1]
November 3, 2009 | 5:06 pm

Figuratively, he shot himself in the foot. Literally, the wound was a little higher.

Via Diamond Leung's Diamond Notes come reports that pitcher Vicente Padilla shot himself in the right leg. Updates indicate the wound occurred at a shooting range and fortunately was not serious.

Here's a Google translation of one of the stories:
The pitcher Vicente Padilla of the Los Angeles Dodgers was entered today in a private hospital in Managua with a bullet wound in his right leg, his family said.
The player left hours later the medical center and is recovering from a wound is not serious, the sources added to the local press.

Padilla was injured when practiced at a shooting range, 22 miles southeast of Managua.

The spokesman for the National Police of Nicaragua, Vilma Reyes, told the press that the shot that Padilla was injured accidentally.

A hospital spokeswoman ... told reporters that the Nicaraguan pitcher in 32 years, this year also played with the Texas Rangers, was hospitalized for 40 minutes and already left the medical center, without gravity.

Update: Leung passes along another report that states that his bodyguard fired the wounding shot.

Oh man what the hell is going on?
smh.gif

To be honest fellas, I'm still not over how the Dodgers ended their season.

mad.gif

As Iron Man said, it's done. It's cool. You learn from it, and progress and move on. I'm done because if I looked back on it i'd be superpissed and lose more hair.

So I got a call from Charlie in Ticket Sales. The deal I had in question regarding this 3 for 1 in the loge is in sections 157 and 158. You buy 3 and get onefree. It's more expensive than the 2 for 2 in outer loge since it's a few aisles closer. Too much for my blood.

I'm really sold on the 2 for 2 infield reserve. <3 reserve level. I think Charlie gave me an incorrect quote though, he said it was around just under 4Kfor the 2 for 2 in infield reserve, while on the site it's about $1245 . I think he was still looking at the 3for1 loge since we were talking about thatbefore the reserve conversation.

I can't make the 5 payment installment in time since first payment is due by the 14th, second by the 15th. But i'm getting my damn seats.

Does anyone know what other fees are associated with purchasing season tickets aside from the actual seat price?

Originally Posted by bright nikes

To be honest fellas, I'm still not over how the Dodgers ended their season.

mad.gif
The story of a Dodger fan.

"Wait til next year"

Maybe 2010 will be the year

This article was in The Times today. The Carlos Santana trade is easily the worst business move the McCourts/Colletti have made. It's glad to see someonein the mainstream media finally mentioning it. Far cry from Bill Plaschke's column last week when he wrote:

The Dodgers finished second in the Lee sweepstakes this summer because the Cleveland Indians judged the Phillies' prospects to be better. It turns out that the Dodgers didn't improve their offer because the McCourts would rather invest in the cheaper lower-level minor leaguers than pay the remainder of Lee's $6-million contract this year, plus his $9-million option next year.
How does he still have a job? Honestly. If someone like me who reads Dodger blogs and random articles in my spare time between 19 units and twojobs can read every single one of his articles and point out fallacy after fallacy. No wonder people stopped buying the Times, not only are newspapers dying,but a lot of the articles they print are complete garbage.

[h1]McCourts' divorce will put Dodgers in an inevitable retreat[/h1] [h2]Frank and Jamie haven't been shy about rewarding themselves or asking fans to pay a premium for the product, but how will there be any positive returns under these circumstances?[/h2]
[table][tr][td]
50274178.jpg

The details in the divorce of Jamie and Frank McCourt have been the talk of the World Series. (Kirby Lee / Image of Sport / US Presswire)
[/td] [/tr][/table]

By Bill Shaikin On Baseball
November 3, 2009 | 11:34 p.m.

Reporting from New York - The Dodgers are the talk of the World Series, and not because of Matt Kemp. The buzz is about all those titillating details in the his-and-hers McCourt divorce filings, about how Frank fired his wife and branded her with a scarlet letter, about how the annual expenses Jamie claims she needs to maintain the lifestyle of a baseball owner are greater than the combined salaries of Kemp, James Loney, Clayton Kershaw, Jonathan Broxton and Chad Billingsley.

This is too bad, first and foremost for the McCourts. We wish divorce upon no one.

This is also too bad for Dodgers fans, for the team that finished three victories from the World Series appears headed for a sadly inevitable retreat, for reasons that involve no salacious details.

Baseball season ends tonight, or Thursday. The initial court hearing takes place Thursday, with Jamie McCourt asking for immediate reinstatement as the Dodgers' chief executive.

Commissioner Bud Selig is watching, warily. He has intervened in ownership disputes involving the Arizona Diamondbacks and New York Mets, but he does not plan to involve himself in the Dodgers' divorce drama, at least not yet.

Frank McCourt claims the Dodgers belong solely to him. Jamie McCourt claims she owns part of the team. For now, Selig believes the daily club operations are running smoothly, under the direction of President Dennis Mannion and General Manager Ned Colletti.

The courts can handle the ownership issue.

The fans are left to handle this issue: According to a document filed by Jamie McCourt as part of the divorce proceedings, she and her estranged husband took home between $7 million and $8 million a year "in salary and/or distributions."

That would have more than covered Cliff Lee's salary this season.

When the Philadelphia Phillies could not get a deal done for Roy Halladay, they moved aggressively toward Lee, quickly agreeing to trade four upper-level prospects and closing the deal the morning of July 29, more than 48 hours before the trade deadline. By the time the Dodgers relented on including their top minor league prospect, Class-A shortstop Dee Gordon, in a trade for Lee, the Phillies all but had Lee sealed and delivered.

Colletti might have gotten Lee if he had Carlos Santana to offer. Santana, a catcher, is a more advanced prospect. Yet the Cleveland Indians already had him, because Colletti had to sacrifice him last year in order to get the Indians to pay the balance of Casey Blake's contract.

That balance was $2 million. The McCourts could have paid themselves a little less, and the Dodgers could have kept Santana, perhaps enabling Colletti to get Lee.

If the Dodgers truly plan on building from within, if they decide not to offer CC Sabathia a contract even when he tells Colletti he wants to be a Dodger, then they have to fund their scouting and player development operation with the full force of a major-market team.

Manny Ramirez was the third-best outfielder on the team this year. Kemp and Andre Ethier emerged from the Dodgers' farm system, and so did Loney, Kershaw, Broxton, Billingsley and Russell Martin.

Yet the Dodgers have done relatively little to replenish the organization. Baseball America last spring ranked the Dodgers' farm system 23rd among the 30 teams.

Gordon and pitcher Chris Withrow emerged as elite prospects this season, but the minor league depth is limited by the Dodgers' limited investment in it.

The Dodgers have paid $8.5 million in signing bonuses for draft picks over the last two years -- the lowest figure among all major league teams, according to Baseball America.

The Dodgers, so proud of their heritage in Asia and Latin America, today are a non-factor in bidding for top amateur players abroad. In 2008, according to Baseball America, major league clubs combined to sign 115 such players for bonuses of more than $100,000. The Dodgers did not sign one.

"They're definitely not the pioneering team they were," Baseball America editor John Manuel said. "They've squandered that advantage."

We wanted to discuss this with Logan White, the Dodgers' assistant general manager for scouting. He was not available for comment.

We also wanted to ask Mannion about how the Dodgers had spent the $18.8 million that covered the insurance payment for Jason Schmidt's contract and the money saved by the suspension of Ramirez. He was not available for comment.

The numbers speak for themselves. The McCourts have not been shy about asking fans to pay top dollar and, at least according to the divorce proceedings, they have not been shy about paying themselves top dollar.

It's time to invest top dollar in player development. It's better to be the talk of the World Series for what your players do, not for what your lawyers say.

There is a serious disconnect going on with the Dodgers right now.

How is it even possible to look out on the field and see a team full of great young players who give us All-Star production for peanuts, and then you sell offyour top hitting prospect for a couple of million. THEN, you don't spend any money on the draft.

I'm willing to cut the McCourts some slack, because they don't get any TV revenue and making the major leagueteam successful and having a high payroll without the revenue streams of other big market teams is difficult to do when you don't have a lot of cash andbought the team essentially on all credit. That said, when you make signings like Juan Pierre and Andruw Jones to block Matt Kemp, only to see him spend thefirst half of 2008 proving you wrong, what sense does it make to sell off a prospect at that point? Santana is a power-hitting switch-hitter who started at 3Band was moved to Catcher. Last year he finished with 89 BB and 21 HR in only 130 games played in A ball. Of course this year he had 90 and 23 in the sameamount of games in AA. He would have been EASILY the best prospect traded at the deadline. But instead he was sold off for essentially no reason. Not thatCasey Blake isn't a good player, but 2 months of him in 2008 wasn't worth selling off your best hitting prospect who plays a premium defensiveposition. How that isn't horrible business sense to anyone, I don't know.

Somebody find this man. Hopefully he didn't lose too much money with KB Homes.

It appears likely the Dodgers will be bought for $430 million, but who'll be doing the spending remains the question.

The Los Angeles Times reports that Eli Broad, a Los Angeles developer and philanthropist, has offered to buy the team for the hefty sum, mostly in cash, if the $430 million bid by Boston developer Frank McCourt falls through, according to a letter from Broad to Fox Group.

McCourt has proposed financing the purchase entirely with loans.

Baseball's ownership committee discussed the $430 million agreement between News Corp. and McCourt on Wednesday and will send a delegation to meet with him in Los Angeles next week.

The committee has been examining the financing for the deal and whether it complies with baseball's rules on the allowable amount of debt, a baseball official said on the condition of anonymity.

McCourt met with several owners last week, and his agreement calls for the sale to close by the end of January. His bid must be approved by three-fourths of the 30 major league owners.

Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, wouldn't say whether commissioner Bud Selig would call for a vote later this month by telephone conference call.

Fox Group executives were going forward with McCourt's offer and were not pursuing Broad's proposal, a senior company official told The Times on condition of anonymity. Sources within the company told the newspaper they are confident the McCourt sale will be approved.

Baseball officials would not comment on the record in accordance with McCourt's exclusivity rights, but one high-ranking official said the league is familiar with Broad and "it stands to reason he could move through the approval process very quickly if it came to that," the paper reported.

Broad, a founder of the home-builder Kaufman & Broad and the chief of SunAmerica, made his $3.8-billion fortune in real-estate development and in financial services.

-Local man wants piece of Dodgers
By John Nadel, The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles businessman and art connoisseur Eli Broad has confirmed his interest in being part of a group buying the Dodgers from News Corp. The 69-year-old Broad is the first local person to publicly acknowledge his intention to join a group headed by former New York sports executive David Checketts.

"I have known Mr. Checketts for a number of years and have the highest regard for him," Broad said in a statement issued late Thursday. "Mr. Checketts asked me to join him in the acquisition of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Fox Sports Net 2."

The desire of the group to purchase the regional cable TV network that airs Dodgers games, along with the Los Angeles Clippers and Anaheim Mighty Ducks games, may be a major stumbling block.

Rupert Murdoch, head of News Corp., has been more interested over the years in acquiring rather than selling media outlets.

Checketts has reportedly offered to pay $600 million for the Dodgers and Dodger Stadium but only if he gains control of Fox Sports Net 2. He also reportedly wants to manage the cable channel's sister station, Fox Sports Net, which televises Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Angels games.

"I am interested because of my love for Los Angeles, my interest in revitalizing downtown and for recognizing the need for Los Angeles-based ownership," Broad said. "I am hopeful that a deal will be consummated."

Broad, who is chairman of the financial planning company SunAmerica, previously was involved in a failed attempt to attract an NFL franchise to Los Angeles.

A telephone call to Checketts wasn't immediately returned. Andrew Butcher, a spokesman for News Corp., refused comment.

"There isn't much for us to say at this point. A club would reach an understanding of interest and then contact us," said Rich Levin, a spokesman for baseball commissioner Bud Selig.

News Corp. bought the Dodgers, Dodger Stadium and the club's Florida spring training site from the O'Malley family in 1997 for $311 million, and has investigated selling for some time. In October 1999, the company ceded operating control to Bob Daly, who bought a 10% share.-

I don't think enough is made of this aspect. Fox wanted a new owner that could buy the team while they still retained broadcasting rights. McCourt could barely afford the team, let alone the broadcasting rights. Selig had to work overtime in getting McCourt approved to placate Fox.

It's widely reported and speculated that the reason Selig pushed Fox towards the McCourts and shielded Broad's offer away from the table(even though he did submit it later when everyone realized that the McC's offer was a joke) because he feared a huge money owner who would drive up freeagent prices even more to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees. That's basically why Selig didn't let us sign Vladdy. Broad was also reported to beinterested in having Peter O'Malley as part of his ownership group. That's just what we need, an owner with deep pockets who's willing to letsomeone with baseball knowledge run the show.

This whole situation is beyond frustrating to me. Two consecutive NLCS appearances don't do a thing to make up for it, in my opinion

A rich real estate developer would be risky, but yet, he wouldn't hesitate to sign those big name free agents.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

That's basically why Selig didn't let us sign Vladdy.
HUH?

McCheapa$$ didnt offer him the money thats why we didnt get vlad
That's not true at all.

McCourt's deal was finalized in late January. Vlad signed with the Angels in early January. The Dodgers had a deal in place with Vlad for a while beforethat (The Times confirmed it, but I can't find a link). They couldn't sign him because they didn't have an ownership deal in place, and because theMcCourt offer was so heavily leveraged, Selig wouldn't allow a high-priced free agent acquisition because it could or would have put the McCourt offer injeopardy.

Back
Top Bottom