OFFICIAL 2009 NFL DRAFT (APRIL 25-26) VOL. NFL SALVATION

Well Kiper also has the Jags drafting Sanchez so i'm not sure what he's been talking about for a min

You know Kiper, he does like 83 mock drafts and has guys all over the dam n board.
laugh.gif

The Bey stuff I heard was on radio like a month ago, I'm sure he's changed his mind, and/or heard from sources about other stuff since then

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Well Kiper also has the Jags drafting Sanchez so i'm not sure what he's been talking about for a min
Because Garrard is very average.
They have bigger needs than the QB position

Broncos fans, how do you feel about Orton?

Sirius radio is saying you guys made a bad decision but I believe even if Orton flops, you guys made out like bandits

What was the line I heard last week, Cutler was one of only 4 players EVER to be traded for 2 first round picks? I think that was it, or something close toit.
eek.gif

So yeah, imo, if Orton never plays a down, they made out like bandits, no matter how well Cutler does for the Bears.

Originally Posted by heat23

Broncos fans, how do you feel about Orton?

Sirius radio is saying you guys made a bad decision but I believe even if Orton flops, you guys made out like bandits

After all the smoke has cleared. I'm happy with this deal. I feel we really need to address defense. Maybe we can take a flier on Graham Harrell or ChaseDaniel later on in the draft. See if one of them pan out. I would also be happy if we came out of this with Mark Sanchez. Everything I've read, heard, andseen about him has me impressed. But we shall see in a few short weeks what they do. But if we make something happen with those draft picks, then I feel wemade out made like bandits. But, as a Broncos fan, I really feel like we a 0% margin for error with these picks. We have to hit them out of the park,regardless of what Jay Cutler does in Chicago.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Because Garrard is very average.
They have bigger needs than the QB position

But would it be surprising if they took a quarterback?

If you're happy with a mediocre quarterback, I guess it would surprise you, but David Garrard isn't exactly a guy I'd be super comfortable withgoing forward... Especially if you're in position to grab a guy you really like, assuming they're high on Sanchez...

This draft is gonna be crazy. Especially if the Lions pass on Stafford. Positive drug tests are running rampant, the Lions are shopping their first pick, and alot of teams have no clue what they are looking what they are looking for.

[h3]From Draftking.com

2009 NFL Mock Draft[/h3]
1. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia ~
It's looking more and more like the Lions will draft Stafford at the top spot of the draft. The team needs a top-flight quarterback, and with Staffordhaving had a great private workout for the Lions, it looks to me that Stafford has the inside track to being the top pick in 2009.

If the Lions opt not to go with Stafford, they could go with a top-flight offensive tackle, with BaylorOT Jason Smith likely to be tops at that spot. Certainly there are plenty of great players at offensive tackle to choose from at this spot, and emulating theDolphins (who went from 1-15 in 2007 to 11-5 in 2008) by taking an offensive tackle at the top spot in the draft might be a wise move. OLB Aaron Curry likelywon't be given serious consideration, no with OLB Ernie Sims under contract for two more years and the team having traded for former Seahawks LB JulianPeterson.

The Lions have two picks in the first round of the 2009 Draft thanks to the Roy Williams trade, andthere will be quality defensive players from whom they can choose later on in round one. Factor into that the team's pick at the top of round two, andthere will be other chances for the Lions to rebuild its defense.

2. St. Louis Rams - JasonSmith, OT, Baylor
This is a deep draft at offensive tackle, and the Rams could be in position to have their pick of the litter. Mel Kiper was ahead of the curve in predictingJason Smith as a high pick, and he very well could end up going to the Rams at this spot. Smith bench-pressed 225 pounds 33 times at the combine, and he mayhave separated himself from the rest of the very strong offensive tackle pack with that performance.

Future hall of fame offensive tackle Orlando Pace is no longer a member of the Rams team, and his cutseems to point strongly to St. Louis going with an offensive tackle at this position. Adding Smith, along with the signing of free agent center Jason Brown(from Baltimore), would provide an instant improvement to the Rams' offensive line.

3. Kansas City Chiefs -Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
Curry has managed to work his way to the top of most defensive prospect lists, and it would be no surprise for him to be a top five pick in the draft. Heplayed his way into this spot with an outstanding 2008 senior season. At 6'2" 250-255 pounds, Curry runs a 4.56 40 and has an incredible knack forfinding the ball. Seeing Curry in a 3-4 defense would be interesting, but he is such a strong prospect that he would project highly in *any* defensive scheme.Kansas City needs a blue chip offensive tackle, but a player at talented as Curry might prove to be too much for the Chiefs to pass up on at thisspot.

4. Seattle Seahawks -Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech ~
Michael Crabtree is considered by most experts to be the top wide receiver prospect in the draft -- and he left school as just a redshirt sophomore. And whileSeattle signed T.J. Houshmandzadeh to a big money deal this off-season, Houshmandzadeh turns 32 in September. Crabtree is an elite talent, and while there aremany who don't think that Seattle will take him because of Houshmandzadeh's presence on the team, I still think he is too strong of a prospect forSeattle to pass up at this spot.

5. Cleveland Browns - BrianOrakpo, DE, Texas
The Browns need to get a talented pass rusher, and while Aaron Curry would be great, if they can't get him then a player like Orakpo should receive strongconsideration. Orakpo has great size at 6'3" 265, and he showed his strength at the combine by bench pressing 225 pounds an impressive 31times.

Orakpo is talented enough where he could play either DE or OLB in a 3-4. That flexibility could make himeven more tempting for a team like Cleveland, which is looking for players to properly fit its front seven defense. Some observers like B.J. Raji at this spot(or they did before reports of a failed combine drug test surfaced), but I question if Raji has enoughsize to play NT in a 3-4 defense at the level one would want from a player being selected as a top five pick.

6. Cincinnati Bengals -Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Cincinnati desperately needs an offensive line boost. Consider this: in 2008, the Bengals were #30 in passing offense and #29 in rushing offense. To be fair,the injury of QB Carson Palmer contributed to this, but so did the departure of offensive tackle Willie Anderson to Baltimore in the last off-season. And, withthe Bengals losing OT Stacy Andrews to free agency, adding an elite offensive tackle would seem to be a top priority for the Bengals.

Monroe hasn't received as much mediaattention as some of the other elite offensive tackle talents, but he has quietly climbed up the ladder to where he might go in the top five of the draft. Ifhe's on the board here, he would be an excellent selection for the Bengals.

7. Oakland Raiders - DarriusHeyward-Bey, WR, Maryland ~
It's true that the Raiders seldom use high draft picks on wide receivers, but just two years ago Oakland drafted JaMarcus Russell at #1 overall after manyyears without a high pick being used on a quarterback. Heyward-Bey ran a blistering 4.30 40 at the combine, and at 6'2" 210 he has good size for areceiver. There are some who think that Missouri WR Jeremy Maclin might be the second (or even the first) wide receiver to go, but Heyward-Bey would be abetter fit for the Raiders, particularly with Oakland already having Johnnie Lee Higgins on its roster to serve as the team's primary kickreturner.

Heyward-Bey is still somewhat raw as far as his receiving skills go, but with proper coaching and timehe could develop into being an elite NFL talent.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars -Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
I still think Andre Smith is the best long-term offensive tackle prospect in the bunch. However, there are major questions about his work ethic. Add to thatthe bizarre scene at the NFL combine in Indianapolis surrounding Smith, coupled with what some believe was a sub-par pro day for him at Alabama, and there aredoubters out there who think Smith is going to fall down the draft board -- perhaps into the second half of the first round.

9. Green Bay Packers - AaronMaybin, DE/OLB, Penn State ~
The Packers have shifted to a 3-4 defense this year, and an important element of any 3-4 is an elite blitzing OLB. Maybin could fill that role quite nicely, ashe has remarkable speed and enough size to present a challenge for opposing offenses.

10. San Francisco 49ers -Mark Sanchez, QB, USC ~
Alex Smith hasn't been the answer for the 49ers, and Sanchez has emerged as the second-ranked QB prospect besides Matthew Stafford. For the 49ers to returnto greatness, they will likely need to find a top-flight signal caller to lead the offense. And, unless they somehow manage to sign QB Kurt Warner (who islikely simply using the 49ers for leverage in negotiations with Arizona), taking Sanchez at this spot makes a great deal of sense.

11. Buffalo Bills - EveretteBrown, DE, Florida State ~
Aaron Schabel turns 32 later this year and the Bills need a player who can bring pressure from the defensive end position. Brown had 13.5 sacks in 2008 forFlorida State, and having him bookended with Schabel could provide a major boost for Buffalo's defense.

12. Denver Broncos - TysonJackson, DE, LSU
Jackson might have been a first round pick had he come out for last year's draft. In 2008 he fell off the radar to a degree due to LSU having a down year,but he has worked his way back into contention at the defensive end position, to the point where the Broncos could take him here and then hope to have USC ILBRey Maualuga fall to them later in round one.

At 6'4" 295, Jackson has the size to play DE effectively in a 3-4. The Broncos are goingthrough changes in its defensive setup via the draft, and particularly if Denver wants to give Kyle Orton a try (and then jump into the 2010 QB bonanza if thatdoesn't work), then going defense here instead of Kansas State QB Josh Freeman makes sense to me.

13. Washington ******** -Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Oher is an outstanding pass blocker, and despite adifficult past he turned into one of the nation's best college offensive linemen. Oher didn't have a great combine, but he is a freakishlytalented player who, with the right coaching, could turn into an All-Pro.

14. New Orleans Saints -Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S, Ohio State
New Orleans could use an upgrade in its secondary, particularly after multiple free agent moves designed to fill that need failed to provide the desiredresults. Jenkins is the top cornerback prospect in the draft, yet he is versatile enough to where he could play safety if asked. His best value for the Saints,in my estimation, would be at corner, but regardless of where he plays in the secondary he would be a major boost for New Orleans.

15. Houston Texans - MichaelJohnson, DE, Georgia Tech
With the Texans signing a pair of free agent OLBs (Cato June from Tampa Bay and Buster Davis from Indianapolis), it appears that they would be inclined to lookelsewhere with their first round pick. Johnson is a massive defensive end at 6'7" 265, and it would be most intriguing to see him bookended with thevery dangerous Mario Williams at DE for the Texans.

16. San Diego Chargers -B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
The Chargers don't have a second-round pick in the 2009 Draft, so trading down from here makes a great deal of sense. But, if they keep the pick, theChargers need to concentrate on an area of need here.

There isn't a true top-tier nose tackle in the draft, though B.J. Raji at 6'1" 340 hasgreat size and is a DT/NT tweener type of prospect (with his 6'1" height being a negative to NT). Rumors about Raji having supposedly failed a test for marijuana at Boston College,combined with reports that he failed a marijuana test at the combine, will likely hurt his draft stock. There are some who think that he might fall out of thefirst round, but Raji has too much talent for that to happen. If he slips to this spot, he would be a great pickup for the Chargers, even if he comes with somerisk.

17. New York Jets - KnowshonMoreno, RB, Georgia ~
In some ways I question the idea of the Jets not trying to stretch one more year out of the combo of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, but the chance to landMoreno might be too enticing to pass up. The Jets might be tempted to trade up to get Moreno if they fear that San Diego might take him at #16, but of coursethat hinges on how the new braintrust with the Jets evaluates the relative skills of Wells and Moreno.
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
18. Denver Broncos (from Bears) - Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
With the Broncos moving to a 3-4 defense, a huge playmaker like Maualuga would be a great addition to the lineup. He is a great leader and, while there wouldbe a transition necessary in moving to a 3-4, Maualuga is good enough to where he could be a great impact player for Denver. There is a need for a nose tacklethat would be diffiuclt to fill at this spot, but overall a player like Maualuga would make Denver's defense better right away.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State ~
The old regime is out in Tampa Bay, and there's nothing like drafting a first-round quarterback to kick things off for a new management staff. In thecopycat NFL, the idea of drafting a tall QB (like Baltimore did last year with Joe Flacco) is likely to be very appealing to many teams, and the 17-19 range isone that seems more and more likely for Freeman to end up going in later this month.

20. Detroit Lions (from Cowboys) - Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
The Lions traded DT Cory Redding to Seattle earlier this year, and the team could use a player like Jerry to fill the hole in the middle. Jerry has rare speedand explosiveness at the position, and he should help bring pressure up the middle wherever he ends up going.

21. Philadelphia Eagles -Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
One year ago the Eagles used their franchise tag to retain tight end L.J. Smith. It seems unlikely that the team would do that again, and short of Smithsigning a long-term deal with Philly, the Eagles could be in the market for a tight end.

At this point Pettigrew looks like the best of the bunch with Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham going back toschool for 2009. At 6'6" 260 Pettigrew has great size and appears to have the ability to block on an NFL quality level. He is also a receiving threat,and adding him to the mix in Philly would be quite intriguing.

22. Minnesota Vikings -Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri ~
There are many who believe that Maclin will be a top ten pick, but it's possible he could slide to this position. That would work out quite well for theVikings, which could use his great speed at the position. Moreover, Maclin is a dangerous kick returner, which could allow him to begin contributing to theVikings right away.

23. New England Patriots -Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
The Patriots made a strong move to add youth at LB last year with ILB Jared Mayo, and they could make another solid move by landing Cushing at this spot. Thiswould be somewhat low for Cushing compared with some projections that have him going higher, and this is not connected with the rumor of Cushing having faileda drug test (which his agent strongly denied) but instead just the breaks in the draft that cause some guys to fall further than they really should.

24. Atlanta Falcons - D.J.Moore, CB, Vanderbilt ~
An important part of the defense that lead Vanderbilt to its first bowl game since 1982, Moore is heading to the NFL, and he could help provide a much-neededboost to the Falcons secondary. Moore has incredible athleticism and great hands, and while he didn't run the 40 as fast as he had hoped at either thecombine or at Vanderbilt's pro day, he remains a great interception threat who would be a wonderful addition to the Atlanta roster.

25. Miami Dolphins - PercyHarvin, WR, Florida ~
The Dolphins could use a solid OLB, but instead of stretching to take one here the Dolphins could land an amazing talent in Harvin. Harvin has great speed, tobe sure, but what makes him really stand out is his uncanny knack for not only running great routes but also in getting open. While I could see the Dolphinstrading down here in Bill Parcells expert draft style, if Miami has the chance to draft Harvin here that could be a great move for a team that already has anemerging star with Ted Ginn, Jr.

26. Baltimore Ravens -Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois ~
The Ravens cut longtime CB Chris McAlister earlier this off-season, and a logical progression for the Ravens would be to bring in a young player like Daviswho, in time, could develop into a great pro cornerback. At 6'0" 205 Davis has good height for the position, but it's his speed and knack forbreaking up passing plays that makes him look so good as a pro prospect.

27. Indianapolis Colts -Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn ~
The Colts rely on defensive pressure from its front four to pressure the quarterback with its Cover 2 defense. Moreover, the team looks to the interiordefensive line to stop the run, which has been a hit-or-miss proposition in recent years.

At 6'1" (or 6'2" depending on who you believe) and 295 pounds, Marks would be able tohelp turn around the interior defensive line problems of the team. The DT position has been hit hard in the past two seasons, with the career-ending kneeinjury in August 2007 suffered by Anthony McFarland (who the Colts acquired for a second-round pick in 2006) and then the release of starting DT Ed Johnsonearly in the 2008 season after Johnson was arrested for possession of marijuana.

28. Philadelphia Eagles (from Panthers) - Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
Both starting offensive tackles for the Eagles, Jon Runyan and Tra Thomas, are slated to be unrestricted free agents, and it's a distinct possibility thatone (if not both) will be leaving the team. However, the Eagles in this scenario would have missed out on the first wave of offensive tackles by the time pick#21 came up, so it makes sense for the Eagles to snag Brandon Pettigrew at #21 and then go for Britton at this spot.

29. New York Giants - ClayMatthews, OLB, USC
Overlooked by some because of his strong teammates Rey Maualuga and Brian Cushing, Matthews is a talented outside linebacker who would be a good addition tothe Giants. Landing an offensive tackle here would be nice, but if Eben Britton goes one pick before, Matthews would probably make the most sense in thisspot.

30. Tennessee Titans - JamesLaurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
Yes, the Titans have Ryan Fowler at MLB, but he hasn't particularly stood out since arriving via free agency from Dallas two years ago. Laurinaitis is anamazing talent who would provide a great boost to the heart of the Titans defense. He has great vision, impressive quickness, and isn't afraid to lay a hiton anyone.

31. Arizona Cardinals -Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State ~
The Cardinals have a rather strong need for a franchise running back. Edgerrin James turns 31 in August, and for a third straight season he finished with a sub4.0 yards per carry rushing average in 2008. He's also due a $5 million base salary in 2009. Tim Hightower had an even worse average than James, with ananemic 2.8 yards per carry in the 2008 regular season. J.J. Arrington left via free agency, and overall a player like Wells would be a wonderful fit forArizona.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers -Max Unger, C/OG, Oregon
Unger played center at Oregon, but he could potentially play both center and guard for the Steelers. Pittsburgh retained OG Chris Kemoeatu with a five-yearcontract, but Unger could still be a valuable addition to a Steelers team that needs some fresh blood on its offensive line.

Bill's not picking Harvin. Give me Davis or S.Smith...............T-MINUS 18 DAYS

http://www.kffl.com/link/185
Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams have acquired Atlanta Falcons WR Laurent Robinson. The Rams will also receive the Falcons' fifth-round pick (No. 160 overall) and sixth-round pick (No. 196 overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft. The Falcons will receive the Rams' fifth-round pick (No. 138 overall) and sixth-round pick (No. 176 overall).

Laurent = Torry Holt 2.0

laugh.gif

http://www.kffl.com/link/185
Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams have acquired Atlanta Falcons WR Laurent Robinson. The Rams will also receive the Falcons' fifth-round pick (No. 160 overall) and sixth-round pick (No. 196 overall) in the 2009 NFL Draft. The Falcons will receive the Rams' fifth-round pick (No. 138 overall) and sixth-round pick (No. 176 overall).

Thanx for the update! 1st page updated.

Some dude from Profootballtalk.com or something like that was on local radio this morning. He said there is talk of Seattle taking Sanchez at 4.

That would surprise me greatly. But, everything is rumors right now so who knows?

wow sanchez at 4....that'd be something. how good is sanchez...like really?

and i would LOVE it if the lions passed on stafford and shook things up.

^
The same guy said he heard that it was basically a done deal that Detroit was taking Stafford. He heard from a source he trusts is how he put it.

Not sure what the guy knows, or if he's credible, just relayin the info.

The Way We Hear It - draft edition

Belichick disciples cloud top five; Draft audibles

By Nolan Nawrocki
April 8, 2009

With barely two weeks to go before the draft takes place, most teams have entered final draft meetings to properly set their boards before final characterand medical meetings allow the board to bleed, as red strikes are crossed through names, draft cards are flipped upside down or removed altogether.
[table][tr][td]
Thurs200.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Virginia OLT Eugene Monroe
[/td] [/tr][/table]The top of the draft is beginning to shape up, with Matthew Stafford and a pair of blind-side protectors - Baylor's JasonSmith and Virginia's Eugene Monroe - all in heavy consideration at the top of the draft and expected to fit into the top five.
However, the presence of new Chiefs GM Scott Pioli and Browns head coach Eric Mangini - two tight-lipped, guardedBill Belichick disciples - near the top of the draft order has left observers only guessing at what might happen in the top five, creating asmuch uncertainty at the top of the draft as ever.

There's a leaguewide perception that Aaron Curry is being prized by the Chiefs at No. 3 because he is such a safe choice. However, theway we hear it, the Chiefs will be in the big-man sweepstakes, with the new regime being driven by the need to draft someone who can protect new QBMatt Cassel and thereby enhance his chance of success.

If Stafford is selected first overall as expected, it would force either Smith or Monroe into the Chiefs' hands. Monroe played for AlGroh, who worked with Pioli and new K.C. head coach Todd Haley previously in New York with the Jets, and shares a playing historywith Chiefs OLT Branden Albert. Reuniting the two would be a very natural fit. If Smith happened to fall, the Chiefs could leave Albert on theleft side and kick ORT Damion McIntosh inside to guard, significantly improving the pocket.

The way we hear it, the Browns' new brass, led by Mangini and GM George Kokinis, who was never responsible for running a draft inBaltimore where he served as director of pro personnel, are still scrambling to figure out what to do with the fifth pick, setting up private workouts withmany top prospects on campus, including Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins and Penn State's Aaron Maybin.

Mangini, who recommended drafting Vernon Gholston a year ago, is also believed to be very intrigued by Texas DE-OLB BrianOrakpo, who physically compares very similarly to the Jets' sixth overall pick a year ago.

However, the Browns have two second-round picks and are expected to be able to land a quality rush LB prospect at No. 36 or No. 50, whereas the CB class isexpected to dry out quickly in the first round. The Browns' back seven was a continual issue for former coach Romeo Crennel that GMPhil Savage struggled to address, and Jenkins' versatility could allow him to help at two positions, moving to safety in nickel situationsas he did previously for Ohio State, more so as a junior than as a senior.

The Browns reportedly are also meeting with USC LB Rey Maualuga and Georgia RB Knowshon Moreno, both of whom would beconsidered reaches at the fifth spot but could not be ruled out with an inexperienced GM at the helm.

Draft audibles

square_black.gif
"(Arizona OT) Eben Britton is a lot like(former Bear) John Tait. You might be able to get away with him on the left side for a few years, but he'll always be best on the rightside. He'll be a 10-year starter in the league."

square_black.gif
"We always say we don't use numbers when we arescouting. I guess we'll find out who truly believes it, because (Tennessee DE Robert) Ayers does not have good numbers(measurable or sack production). We have him in the early second round. I could not justify drafting him where we are picking (in the top 15)."

square_black.gif
"(Alabama OT) Andre Smith scares me todeath. The higher up you have to draft him, the more scary he looks. I'm hoping he is off the board by the time we come up. I don't want to deal withthe owner on him. The one thing about that Alabama program, (Nick) Saban controls those kids, lock and key. The team thatdrafts him better be ready to babysit."

square_black.gif
"I like (Florida State DE) EveretteBrown; I don't love him. When you can pin his ears back and let him go, he is great, but I wish he played the run better. He's a bit of aone-trick pony, to me he is."

square_black.gif
"You start to second-guess yourself with all the time wehave before the draft. That's why the fall grades are the best grades. They lose a little impact in the spring when you get caught up in how fast a guyruns and peek at all these pro days. They mean something, but it's not as important as what you see in the fall."

square_black.gif
"I would draft (USC QB) Matt Sanchez andnever look back. He's got the charisma, the mental makeup, the intelligence and all the physical qualities it takes. Drafting a junior scares me when youlook at the failure rate and his 16 starts, but I'd roll the dice. All three quarterbacks will be gone in the top 15. If someone wants (Kansas State QBJosh) Freeman, they are going to have to go up to get him."

square_black.gif
"(LSU DE) Tyson Jackson will be a betterpro than college player. You know what you're getting. He's always been durable."

square_black.gif
"(Rutgers WR) Kenny Britt - I don'tknow about him. I couldn't draft him in the first round. I don't know that I'd want him in the second round. He's big and physically impressive(when you see him in person), but his hands are iffy. I don't see any RAC (run-after-the-catch ability). He does not create after the catch. I don'tsee the value in him, not up at the top."

Take it for what it's worth. Kipers' new 4 round mock

[h2]Stafford holding steady at No. 1[/h2]
Comment Email Print
By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com
Archive

[h4]More Mock[/h4]
Whom will your favorite NFL team select in the first round of the upcoming draft? Where will your favorite college players land? Mel and Todd have the answers in their updated mock drafts. To see them, and all the best NFL draft coverage online, become an ESPN Insider.
in.gif

It's almost been a month since Todd McShay and I released our dualmock drafts , and a lot has changed. We've seen most of the pro days for draft-eligible players that enable them to showcase their abilities in acomfortable environment, and we've gotten the results from some of the private workouts that some of the top players have to go through for teams.

Below is a look at how I see the first four rounds shaking out at this point in the predraft process.

det.gif

[h2]1. Detroit Lions (Record: 0-16)[/h2]
Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia: Staffordis worthy of being the No. 1 overall pick, thanks to his overall skill set.

stl.gif

[h2]2. St. Louis Rams (2-14)[/h2]
Jason Smith, OT, Baylor: The OT spot isstrong at the top with Smith, a former tight end who is supremely athletic and exactly what you want in a left tackle: someone you can count on to protect theblind side of your quarterback.

kan.gif

[h2]3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14)[/h2]
Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest: He'sa complete OLB with great character and work ethic, which is why it was no surprise when he nailed his combine workout.

sea.gif

[h2]4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12)[/h2]
Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia: Monroe isjust a shade below Jason Smith in my opinion, but is a legit top-five pick.

cle.gif

[h2]5. Cleveland Browns (4-12)[/h2]
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech: Thestress fracture in his left foot shouldn't affect his draft status. He's a big-time player who should have a Larry Fitzgerald-type career in the NFL.

cin.gif

[h2]6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1)[/h2]
Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: Smith has tomanage his weight in order to remain on the left side. If he doesn't, he's a mauler at right tackle who could really assist the running game and do thejob at that spot in pass protection. Hopefully, he'll maximize his skills in the NFL by paying more attention to detail. If he doesn't, you'relooking at a major bust.

oak.gif

[h2]7. Oakland Raiders (5-11)[/h2]
Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri: Maclin willhave to adjust to an NFL offense, but I really like his big-play capability and the fact that he's much more explosive with the pads on than his4.46-second 40-yard dash at the combine would lead you to believe.

jac.gif

[h2]8. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)[/h2]
Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas: I view Orakpo as a 4-3 end withthe ability to also play on his feet in a 3-4 as an attacking outside linebacker. He is super-athletic and incredibly strong, but there is concern about hisdurability.

gnb.gif

[h2]9. Green Bay Packers (6-10)[/h2]
B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College: Raji is the top defensivetackle in this draft.

sfo.gif

[h2]10. San Francisco 49ers (7-9)[/h2]
Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State: Maybin is another combo-typewho is explosive out of the blocks and relentless in his pursuit of the quarterback.

buf.gif

[h2]11. Buffalo Bills (7-9)[/h2]
Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee: Ayers enjoyed a solid seasonin the SEC and then was one of the standouts during Senior Bowl week. He ran the 40 in 4.80 at the combine, though, which could give some teams pause.

den.gif

[h2]12. Denver Broncos (8-
glasses.gif
[/h2]
Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU: Jackson would beideal in a 3-4, thanks to his ability to shift inside in passing situations.

was.gif

[h2]13. Washington ******** (8-
glasses.gif
[/h2]
Mark Sanchez, QB, USC: Sanchezdefinitely is one of the top five to eight players available in this draft, and getting him here would be a bit of a steal, because had he returned to USC forhis senior season, he likely would have been the No. 1 overall pick.

nor.gif

[h2]14. New Orleans Saints (8-
glasses.gif
[/h2]
Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State: Wells is anice fit for the Saints after they let running back Deuce McAllister go in the offseason. He could be a perfect complement to Reggie Bush.

hou.gif

[h2]15. Houston Texans (8-
glasses.gif
[/h2]
Brian Cushing, OLB, USC: Cushing'sability to fit both inside and outside is the reason I've always viewed him as a surefire first-rounder.

sdg.gif

[h2]16. San Diego Chargers (8-
glasses.gif
[/h2]
Rey Maualuga, LB, USC: Maualuga is capable of becoming aquality "Mike" linebacker in the NFL, but needs to use his hands better to ward off blocks and must be more consistent from week to week.

nyj.gif

[h2]17. New York Jets (9-7)[/h2]
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland:Heyward-Bey's awesome size-speed ratio should win out here and give the Jets the kind of receiver they need to open up the passing game.

den.gif

[h2]18. Denver Broncos (from Chicago) (8-
glasses.gif
[/h2]
Everette Brown, DE, Florida State: Brown could make animmediate impact in the Broncos' defense because of his strong skill set.

tam.gif

[h2]19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7)[/h2]
Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State: Freemanis an interesting prospect because he throws a great ball and has imposing size at nearly 6-foot-6 and 245 pounds. However, his inconsistent play puts him inthe boom-or-bust category.

det.gif

[h2]20. Detroit Lions (from Dallas) (0-16)[/h2]
Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi: Oher is one of the moreintriguing prospects in the draft. He's loaded with talent and can dominate the defense he's working against, but he also seems to have lapses inconcentration when he struggles to keep his opponents at bay.

phi.gif

[h2]21. Philadelphia Eagles (9-6-1)[/h2]
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia: Thereisn't anything remotely close to the talent and depth at running back available in the draft last year, but Moreno is a good fit for the Eagles at thisspot.

min.gif

[h2]22. Minnesota Vikings (10-6)[/h2]
Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers: Britt has aton of talent and is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential.

nwe.gif

[h2]23. New England Patriots (11-5)[/h2]
Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut: Browncould end up being one of the more productive rookie backs in 2009 because of his all-around skills and tremendous character.

atl.gif

[h2]24. Atlanta Falcons (11-5)[/h2]
Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State:tongue:ettigrew remains the No. 1 tight end on the board and would be a help to young Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

mia.gif

[h2]25. Miami Dolphins (11-5)[/h2]
Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State: Jenkins has all thequalities you look for, with the exception of top-flight recovery speed, which is an obvious concern. Even so, he's too good an overall performer to passup in the middle of the first round.

bal.gif

[h2]26. Baltimore Ravens (11-5)[/h2]
Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois: Davis is animpressive physical specimen, but he lacked consistency with the Illini, not always performing at the elite level you would expect from a player with hisnatural talent and ability. He'll be a gamble.

ind.gif

[h2]27. Indianapolis Colts (12-4)[/h2]
Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi: Jerry is a very underratedprospect, and would be a good fit in the Indianapolis scheme.

phi.gif

[h2]28. Philadelphia Eagles (from 12-4 CAR) (9-6-1)[/h2]
Eben Britton, OT, Arizona: Britton could be a good fit forthe Eagles' offensive line, although I would have liked to see him return for his senior year.

nyg.gif

[h2]29. New York Giants (12-4)[/h2]
Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina: Nickswon't wow you in a workout, but on game day he makes the tough catches and is the type of player who wants the ball thrown his way in clutchsituations.

ten.gif

[h2]30. Tennessee Titans (13-3)[/h2]
Percy Harvin, WR, Florida: Harvinreminds me of the Reggie Bush we now see with the Saints. You can utilize Harvin in anumber of ways, and, like Bush, he's a scoreboard-changer. However, he also carries the same durability concerns as Bush.

ari.gif

[h2]31. Arizona Cardinals (9-7)[/h2]
Larry English, LB, Northern Illinois: English set theall-time sack record at Northern Illinois, and could be an impact player in Arizona.

pit.gif

[h2]32. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)[/h2]
Eric Wood, C, Louisville: Wood has been a player on therise of late, and with his size and skills he could find himself a Steeler for a very long time.
[h2]Second round[/h2][h2]33. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=detDetroitLions: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio St.[/h2][h2]34. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nweNew EnglandPatriots (from KC) : Connor Barwin, DE/LB,Cincinnati[/h2][h2]35. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=stlSt. LouisRams: Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut[/h2][h2]36. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cleClevelandBrowns: Clay Matthews, LB, USC[/h2][h2]37. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=seaSeattleSeahawks: William Moore, S, Missouri[/h2][h2]38. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cinCincinnatiBengals: Alex Mack, C, California[/h2][h2]39. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=jacJacksonvilleJaguars: Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio St.[/h2][h2]40. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oakOaklandRaiders: Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma[/h2][h2]41. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=gnbGreen BayPackers: William Beatty, OT, Connecticut[/h2][h2]42. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bufBuffaloBills: Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina[/h2][h2]43. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sfoSan Francisco49ers: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest[/h2][h2]44. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=miaMiamiDolphins (from Washington): Jarron Gilbert, DL, San JoseSt.[/h2][h2]45. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nygNew YorkGiants (from New Orleans): Shawn Nelson, TE, So.Mississippi[/h2][h2]46. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=houHoustonTexans: Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri[/h2][h2]47. New England Patriots (from San Diego): Sean Smith, CB, Utah[/h2][h2]48. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=denDenverBroncos: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College[/h2][h2]49. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chiChicagoBears: Mohamed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia[/h2][h2]50. Cleveland Browns (from Tampa Bay): LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh[/h2][h2]51. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dalDallasCowboys: Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan[/h2][h2]52. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyjNew YorkJets: Andre Brown, RB, North Carolina St.[/h2][h2]53. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phiPhiladelphiaEagles: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech[/h2][h2]54. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=minMinnesotaVikings: Max Unger, C, Oregon[/h2][h2]55. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atlAtlantaFalcons: Sherrod Martin, DB, Troy[/h2][h2]56. Miami Dolphins: Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia[/h2][h2]57. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=balBaltimoreRavens: Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma[/h2][h2]58. New England Patriots: Pat White, WR, West Virginia[/h2][h2]59. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=carCarolinaPanthers: Roy Miller, DT, Texas[/h2][h2]60. New York Giants: Kaluka Maiava, LB, USC[/h2][h2]61. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=indIndianapolisColts: Derrick Williams, WR, Penn St.[/h2][h2]62. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=tenTennesseeTitans: D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt[/h2][h2]63. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ariArizonaCardinals: Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa[/h2][h2]64. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pitPittsburghSteelers: Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon[/h2][h2]Third round[/h2][h2]65. Detroit: Patrick Chung, S, Oregon[/h2][h2]66. St. Louis : Lawrence Sidbury, DE, Richmond[/h2][h2]67. Kansas City: Andy Levitre, OL, Oregon St.[/h2][h2]68. Seattle : Donald Washington, CB, Ohio St.[/h2][h2]69. Dallas (from Cleveland): Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly[/h2][h2]70. Cincinnati: Paul Kruger, DE, Utah[/h2][h2]71. Oakland: Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama[/h2][h2]72. Jacksonville: Bradley Fletcher, CB, Iowa[/h2][h2]73. Green Bay: Cody Brown, LB, Connecticut[/h2][h2]74. San Francisco: Darcel McBath, S, Texas Tech[/h2][h2]75. Buffalo: T.J. Lang, OL, Eastern Michigan[/h2][h2]76. New York Jets (from New Orleans): Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina[/h2][h2]77. Houston Texans: Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon St.[/h2][h2]78. San Diego: Jamon Meredith, OL, South Carolina[/h2][h2]79. Denver: Asher Allen, CB, Georgia[/h2][h2]80. Washington: Kyle Moore, DE, USC[/h2][h2]81. Tampa Bay: Alex Magee , DT, Purdue[/h2][h2]82. Detroit (from Dallas): Fili Moala, DT, USC[/h2][h2]83. Green Bay (from New York Jets): Tony Fiammetta, FB, Syracuse[/h2][h2]84. Denver (from Chicago): Louis Murphy, WR, Florida[/h2][h2]85. Philadelphia: Deon Butler, WR, Penn St.[/h2][h2]86. Minnesota: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma[/h2][h2]87. Miami: Cedric Peerman, RB, Virginia[/h2][h2]88. Baltimore : Anthony Hill, TE, North Carolina St.[/h2][h2]89. New England: Cornelius Ingram, TE, Florida[/h2][h2]90. Atlanta: Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama[/h2][h2]91. New York Giants: Tyronne Green, OG, Auburn[/h2][h2]92. Indianapolis : Jason Phillips, LB, TCU[/h2][h2]93. Carolina: Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin[/h2][h2]94. Tennessee: Marcus Freeman, LB, Ohio St.[/h2][h2]95. Arizona: Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri[/h2][h2]96. Pittsburgh: Quinten Lawrence, WR, McNeese St.[/h2][h2]97. New England (comp selection): Scott McKillop, LB, Pittsburgh[/h2][h2]98. Cincinnati (comp selection): Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty[/h2][h2]99. Chicago (comp selection): Chris Clemons, S, Clemson[/h2][h2]100. New York Giants (comp selection): Glen Coffee, RB, Alabama[/h2][h2]Fourth round[/h2][h2]101. Dallas (from Detroit): Ladarius Webb, DB, Nicholls St.[/h2][h2]102. Kansas City : Dannell Ellerbe, LB, Georgia[/h2][h2]103. St. Louis: Johnny Knox, WR, Abilene Christian[/h2][h2]104. Cleveland : Coye Francies, CB, San Jose St.[/h2][h2]105. Seattle: James Davis, RB, Clemson[/h2][h2]106. Cincinnati: Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU[/h2][h2]107. Jacksonville: Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston St.[/h2][h2]108. Miami (from Oakland): Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina[/h2][h2]109. Green Bay: Zack Follett, LB, California[/h2][h2]110. Buffalo: Michael Hamlin, S, Clemson[/h2][h2]111. San Francisco: Mike Goodson, RB, Texas A&M[/h2][h2]112. Houston: David Veikune, DE, Hawaii[/h2][h2]113. San Diego: Emanuel Cook, S, South Carolina[/h2][h2]114. Denver: Chip Vaughn, S, Wake Forest[/h2][h2]115. New York Jets (from Washington): Mitch King, DL, Iowa[/h2][h2]116. New Orleans: Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida[/h2][h2]117. Dallas: Herman Johnson, OG, LSU[/h2][h2]118. New Orleans (from N.Y. Jets): A.Q. Shipley, C, Penn St.[/h2][h2]119. Chicago: Christopher Owens, CB, San Jose St.[/h2][h2]120. Tampa Bay: Austin Collie, WR, BYU[/h2][h2]121. Philadelphia: James Casey, TE, Rice[/h2][h2]122. Houston (from Minnesota): Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona[/h2][h2]123. Baltimore: Darry Beckwith, LB, LSU[/h2][h2]124. New England: Dan Gay, OT, Baylor[/h2][h2]125. Atlanta: Brandon Gibson, WR, Washington St.[/h2][h2]126. Oakland (from Miami): Gerald Cadogan, OT, Penn St.[/h2][h2]127. Indianapolis: Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan St.[/h2][h2]128. Carolina : Mike Wallace, WR, Mississippi[/h2][h2]129. New York Giants: Gregory Toler, CB, St. Paul's[/h2][h2]130. Tennessee: Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech[/h2][h2]131. Arizona: Corvey Irvin, DT, Georgia[/h2][h2]132. Pittsburgh: Sen'Derrick Marks, DL, Auburn[/h2][h2]133. San Diego (comp selection): Ellis Lankster, CB, West Virginia[/h2][h2]134. San Diego (comp selection): Dorell Scott, DT, Clemson[/h2][h2]135. Tennessee (comp selection): Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan[/h2][h2]136. Indianapolis (comp selection): Jonathan Casillas, LB, Wisconsin[/h2]

Back
Top Bottom