Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Originally Posted by What up

Isn't Torres our base-running replacement?

And I trust Torres' glove more than EB's - Mr. I have to dive for everything.

So because we have Torres on our squad, it's ok to have a defensive liability on the team? It's ok that we not upgrade when there is an obvious upgrade available and would come at a cheap price? What happens when Torres tweaks a hamstring? Yeah, get in there Velez! Show me your amazing glove work! Run those bases! 715 doesn't feel like we need to replace you!
pimp.gif

At least when you stuck up for Rob Kurz, he had basketball IQ and he gave it his all. He was just physically limited. The same cannot be said about Velez. Velez just flat out sucks and is dumb as rocks.

Late inning defensive/baserunning replacement & smarter than Velez.

Wait wait wait, just because I'm pointing out your argument has more holes than swiss cheese doesn't mean I'm in favor of Velez.

I am in favor of IMPROVING our team. Not wasting roster spots on useless, over the hill, washed up veterans that you may or may not have a man-crush on.

I will say this though .....

Dez Bryant and his mom make the best mother/son "wide receiver" combo in the league.

The points you brought up:
- Torres is here

The points I brought up:
- Byrnes runs the bases better and fields better than Velez
- Byrnes would be a cheap option that we can cut (just like Seattle did) if it doesn't work out
- Velez is dumb as
ay7bix.gif

- Add depth just in case Torres gets hurt

I still think Byrnes runs the bases better than Velez and fields better than Velez. If Byrnes doesn't prove to be an upgrade over Velez, then cut him. Do what Seattle did. It didn't significantly hurt them.

How do you know he runs the bases well if can't get a hit and we all know he doesn't take walks. Have either of you even watched him play this year?

No risk, medium reward = Jermaine Dye

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Late inning defensive/baserunning replacement

&

Smarter than Velez

EB has stolen 14 bases in the last 3 years. I'm with What up on this one.

And how are you not going to bring up the 0.94
laugh.gif

JumpmanFromDaBay wrote:
so how many win do you see G-Men get on this 6 game road trip? i Say 3-3
4-2

Jermaine Dye will cost money though, which is a big reason he hasn't signed anywhere. I'm not saying I prefer Byrnes over Dye, I'm just saying there is some risk in that he costs money while Byrnes doesn't.

I'd prefer Byrnes over Velez by default. I'm tired of seeing Velez make mistake after mistake.

Originally Posted by What up

How do you know he runs the bases well if can't get a hit and we all know he doesn't take walks. Have either of you even watched him play this year?

No risk, medium reward = Jermaine Dye
I watched him when he was in Oakland. Also, Byrnes has a 50sb year under his belt.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

i agree with Dye > Byrnes
Well yeah, obviously. But that's not what I was originally arguing. I'm saying Byrnes > Velez.

Originally Posted by LB510

EB has stolen 14 bases in the last 3 years. I'm with What up on this one.

And how are you not going to bring up the 0.94
laugh.gif
You conveniently left out that he wasn't healthy those 3 year and the last year he played over 160 games, he had a 50sb season the season.

I did not bring up his average because from the start, I've been arguing that he would be a better baserunner and fielder than Velez. I'm still saying there isn't anything Velez does well. Byrnes fields better and runs the bases better. How many times have you been imitated with Velez and his boneheaded mistakes?

Exactly.
grin.gif

Byrnes is way better than Velez in almost every aspect of the game.

Like others have said, low risk, medium reward.

You know why after all these years, we dont know what the @@@+ we have in our system?
Because we got dudes in here willing to take a chance on Byrnes before any of the youngsters. I dont particularly care for Torres, but I would rather see him, downs, and bowker get burn before any POS vet like Byrnes. Dude is done...you know why he got released this weekend? He missed a suicide squeeze sign with ichiro on 3rd with no outs in extra innings, and still tried to bunt after the ball had already crossed the plate
roll.gif
...i'm not even sure velez would do that

Velez is garbage and HE WILL be gone in a matter of time, but Byrnes aint worth the chump change it will take to sign him.
Paul....his oakland days have long passed him

Dam I wasn't aware of his failed squeeze. In all fareness that was a nasty pitch to try to bunt but still that was ugly.

I'd like to see Downs and Torres a little more.

Paul@ I'll agree the defense no question. But with EB being 34 healthly or not I don't see him being a factor at all on the bases. So we would just be sigining a 34 year old vet to play a little defense... I'll pass.

Originally Posted by EZLN1

You know why after all these years, we dont know what the @@@+ we have in our system?
Because we got dudes in here willing to take a chance on Byrnes before any of the youngsters. I dont particularly care for Torres, but I would rather see him, downs, and bowker get burn before any POS vet like Byrnes. Dude is done...you know why he got released this weekend? He missed a suicide squeeze sign with ichiro on 3rd with no outs in extra innings, and still tried to bunt after the ball had already crossed the plate
roll.gif
...i'm not even sure velez would do that

Velez is garbage and HE WILL be gone in a matter of time, but Byrnes aint worth the chump change it will take to sign him.
Paul....his oakland days have long passed him
I heard about it on MLBNetwork. I was watching Quick Pitch and they showed it. I know it looks really bad on for my argument's part, but I don't know what was going through Byrnes' head at that time. It looked like Byrnes knew there was a squeeze play on, but as to why he pulled the bat back, I don't know. But to rule out that Velez would never do that is being naive. I wouldn't say they cut him solely off that one play. It could be a combination of things. What I read was that Byrnes wasn't cut because of that play, but rather because the Mariners are struggling. When they cut Byrnes, they sent down some dude to the minors, too. They're trying to shake up their team to find what works. Even with that botched play, I still think Byrnes is the better and smarter player between the two. Velez still makes mistake after mistake after mistake. Hey, if Byrnes signs here with the club and he doesn't pan out, I won't be afraid to say I was wrong. I just wanted the chance to see. Take a chance in trying to improve the team.

Look at the hitters that have been called up. Feliz, Ishikawa, Lewis, Torcato, Linden, etc. They were given their chances and they didn't amount into anything special. We don't have hitters in our farm system. Brian Sabean has been notorious for drafting pitchers. That's the bulk of our prospects.

I'm not looking for Byrnes to return to his Oakland form. The point of me bringing up his SB numbers is because he knows how to run the bases. He's smart. 129 stolen and 23 caught stealing. I'm not saying that's automatically a sign that the player has baseball smarts, but it's a good thing that can help the argument. Velez has been playing organized baseball since 2003. If Velez doesn't get it by now, he will never get it. I lost all hope for Velez to get his head together. The great Yogi Berra said "baseball is 90% mental -- and the other half is physical." You have to be smart to play baseball. And Velez, well... yeah.

I remember when Velez used to take a pitch, he wouldn't even fake a bunt. Krukow used to call him out on it because it would at least draw the 3rd baseman in on the grass. Last year against the Dodgers trying to preserve a Tim Lincecum win, a fly ball was hit to Velez. There was a runner on 3rd and he was ready to tag. Velez caught the ball flat footed, did not position himself correctly for a throw home. The runner scored. Twice this year, Velez and Torres have nearly collided on fly balls. When they show the replays, you can clearly see that Torres is yelling out that he is calling for the ball, and yet, Velez still tries to catch it himself and almost colliding with Torres.

[table][tr][th="col"]T. Lincecum SF
7981.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]A. Sánchez Fla
7701.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]4-0[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]1-2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.27[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]4.32[/td] [/tr][tr][td]43[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]14[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]0.82[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.52[/td][/tr][/table]

Wow Rowand worked a walk - his first of the year!!

Jon Miller stating "they should open the gates and allow the fans to come in to watch the game".
laugh.gif

edit - Way to swing at the first pitch De Rosa. 
indifferent.gif

edit - Rowand out trying to steal.
indifferent.gif

edit - Timmy with K1

edit - Timmy with K2; via Slider

Back
Top Bottom