Official 2011 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (86-76) 2nd Place in NL West

Originally Posted by chris82790

Vogelsong officially the NL leader in ERA.
pimp.gif
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

beautiful ...amazing start today

if he keeps it up, i think he should be considered for the Cy Young

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Serious question, Vogelsong is 7-1 with a 2.02 ERA

Is he in the running for Cy Young as the 5th starter?
no
Would you mind giving a reason as to why rather than just say 'no'?

no

Originally Posted by BDavis5

no
not trying to hate sir, but if your going to based on stats, you should see what's the Doctor been doing at the Phillies.

Originally Posted by BDavis5

no
not trying to hate sir, but if your going to based on stats, you should see what's the Doctor been doing at the Phillies.

Well then let's take a look.

Ryan Vogelsong
Win-Loss: 7-1
ERA: 2.02
WHIP: 1.19
Opp AVG: .229
BB: 33
K: 75
CG: 1

Roy Halladay
Win-Loss: 11-4
ERA: 2.57
WHIP: 1.05
Opp AVG: .245
BB: 18
K: 139
CG: 6

The only 2 glaring stats to me are the Ks and CGs. Even though Roy is tied for 2nd in the NL with 139 Ks Timmy has the same amount and he isn't pitching the way he did in '08-'09 when he won the Cy Young. But we can all admit Halladay is the Secretariat of pitchers, the guy is an absolute thoroughbred. He's even built like one. That might be what wins him the Cy Young this year, if he wins. But Vogelsong has 55 points on him in ERA, and Felix Hernandez won Cy Young last year with his ERA despite having only 14 wins and 13 losses.

To me, he's in it. He might not win it but I don't think he's not in the running.

Well then let's take a look.

Ryan Vogelsong
Win-Loss: 7-1
ERA: 2.02
WHIP: 1.19
Opp AVG: .229
BB: 33
K: 75
CG: 1

Roy Halladay
Win-Loss: 11-4
ERA: 2.57
WHIP: 1.05
Opp AVG: .245
BB: 18
K: 139
CG: 6

The only 2 glaring stats to me are the Ks and CGs. Even though Roy is tied for 2nd in the NL with 139 Ks Timmy has the same amount and he isn't pitching the way he did in '08-'09 when he won the Cy Young. But we can all admit Halladay is the Secretariat of pitchers, the guy is an absolute thoroughbred. He's even built like one. That might be what wins him the Cy Young this year, if he wins. But Vogelsong has 55 points on him in ERA, and Felix Hernandez won Cy Young last year with his ERA despite having only 14 wins and 13 losses.

To me, he's in it. He might not win it but I don't think he's not in the running.

Halladay is pretty much a lock for the Cy, however, Vogelsong could end up in the top 3-5 in voting.
birthday luck 
pimp.gif

Halladay is pretty much a lock for the Cy, however, Vogelsong could end up in the top 3-5 in voting.
birthday luck 
pimp.gif

Since we are talking about stats lets take a more inside look

Leading in Wins for NL
1.Jurjens - 12
T-27 - Vogie

Leading in IP
1. Halladay - 147
Vogie isn't even in top 40

Leading in K's
1. Kershaw - 155
Vogie is not even in top 40

Now granted that Most starters has atleast in the 18-20 starts already in the season, while Vogelsong as of today has 15.

you said about King Felix winning last year, well you should check his stats

34 GS/GP #1
249 IP #1
232 K's #2 (233k is #1)
ERA 2.27 #1

He didn't just win the CY because he has a "low era" he won it because he's easily was the best pitcher in that league (AL)

now no homer, no fan bias i know you love the giants as much as the next guy here but can you honestly say Vogelsong is a top 5 pitcher? Can you say he's in this group Roy, Timmy, Lee, Hamels, X. heck take out lee out of that group and insert Kershaw. do you really believe that?

Since we are talking about stats lets take a more inside look

Leading in Wins for NL
1.Jurjens - 12
T-27 - Vogie

Leading in IP
1. Halladay - 147
Vogie isn't even in top 40

Leading in K's
1. Kershaw - 155
Vogie is not even in top 40

Now granted that Most starters has atleast in the 18-20 starts already in the season, while Vogelsong as of today has 15.

you said about King Felix winning last year, well you should check his stats

34 GS/GP #1
249 IP #1
232 K's #2 (233k is #1)
ERA 2.27 #1

He didn't just win the CY because he has a "low era" he won it because he's easily was the best pitcher in that league (AL)

now no homer, no fan bias i know you love the giants as much as the next guy here but can you honestly say Vogelsong is a top 5 pitcher? Can you say he's in this group Roy, Timmy, Lee, Hamels, X. heck take out lee out of that group and insert Kershaw. do you really believe that?

Sorry guys but Vogelsong as a CY candidate is pretty laughable.

Going to the yard tonight. Cant wait.
pimp.gif

Sorry guys but Vogelsong as a CY candidate is pretty laughable.

Going to the yard tonight. Cant wait.
pimp.gif

Maybe not right now Vogelsong isn't Top 5, but if by this time next month he's still tops in the NL in terms of ERA and he has double digit wins then I will say that he's Top 5. He may not have electric stuff like a lot of the other candidates but that doesn't take away from his efficiency.

Maybe not right now Vogelsong isn't Top 5, but if by this time next month he's still tops in the NL in terms of ERA and he has double digit wins then I will say that he's Top 5. He may not have electric stuff like a lot of the other candidates but that doesn't take away from his efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom