Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

an old look back. 
Ray Mancini vs Duk Koo Kim

Kim died after the fight. scary stuff

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]
textsize.gif

textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif

November 22, 1982
[h1]Then All The Joy Turned To Sorrow[/h1][h2]It was a glorious day in Vegas for Ray Mancini until he found what it had cost challenger Duk-Koo Kim[/h2]
Ralph Wiley
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[img]http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/.element/img/1.0/icon_view_issue.gif[/img]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] PRINT[/td][td] EMAIL[/td][td] MOST POPULAR[/td][td] SHARE[/td][/tr][/table]

Ray (Boom Boom) Mancini held his swollen left hand in front of him like a jewel while shading his battered brow with his right. The bright lights were harsh and unwelcome. There were questions in Mancini's heart about what had just happened in the ring, though he didn't yet know the full horror of what had occurred. Was the WBA lightweight title he had just defended successfully against South Korea's Duk Koo Kim worth this? Was anything? "Why do I do it?" Mancini asked himself. "Why do I do this? I'm the one who has to wake up tomorrow and look at myself." He fingered the purple, misshapen area around his left eye. "A badge of honor," he said in a morbid tone. Minutes earlier, a less reflective Mancini had scored a technical knockout of Kim 19 seconds into the 14th round, and Kim had been carried from the outdoor ring at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas on a stretcher. This was to have been an epilogue to the Aaron Pryor-Alexis Arguello WBA junior welterweight title fight the night before. Tragically, it became a nightmare.

The 23-year-old Kim, who rained an incredible number of blows on Mancini and in return was pounded by even more, was injured by two right hands his head could not bear. Kim was taking just four breaths per minute when he was transported from the ring to an ambulance that was destined for Desert Springs Hospital.

rest of the Article

Originally Posted by jay23oth

Mark me down Vegas, Ortiz v Canelo is official Sept 16, 2012
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

find out i need a brain tumor removed next week pray to the good lord im all better to go see that.

had 2 sezuires out of the blue which helped them find it early. its not huge or has any cancer in it so they say im good. but for someone that is only 25 and the sickest he has got was the flu its scary as %@+$.

Mike Keep us posted man.

Keep your spirits up and stay healthy

what other UCLA/Oscar De La Hoya Fan can I clown on

eek.gif
  Damn mike....  yeah, keep us posted bro.  Stay positive...    Just for that, I don't mind the Dodgers beating my Angels last night

Maybe that explains all the spelling mistakes.

In all seriousness though, good luck with that @%%% man. Keep us in the loop. God speed.

Best wishes, Mike...hope all goes well.

Keep some "BUM" Judah tapes around in case you get bored while you're recovering.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

find out i need a brain tumor removed next week pray to the good lord im all better to go see that.
Damn bro stay up, yea I already cop the Vegas package waiting for the tix now

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Damn bro stay up, yea I already cop the Vegas package waiting for the tix now

Best of luck Bigmike. Canelo vs Ortiz will be interesting.

Update on Rafael Marquez:

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
Nice fight announced today: Former 122 titleholders Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. and Rafael Marquez will meet Aug. 4 in Puerto Rico. #boxing
about an hour ago

[h1]Nonito Donaire Becomes First Boxer to Agree to Year-Round Drug Tests, Says Victor Conte[/h1]
By Albert SamahaThu., Jun. 14 2012 at 7:15 AM

Comments (1)

Categories: Sports
[table][tr][td]
nonito-donaire.jpg
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Nonito Donaire[/td][/tr][/table]Nonito Donaire, the 29-year-old super bantamweight champion from San Leandro, became the one of the first professional boxers to agree to year-round drug testing when he enrolled in the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association this week.
There's a bunch of reasons why this is a good move. It's cheaper than using the the United States Doping Agency, which handles drug testing for many major fights and reportedly costs around $100,000 to contract. It can help avoid embarrassing last-minute fight cancellations due to positive steroid tests, which recently happened to Andre Berto and Lamont Peterson -- two big-name boxers who claim they had no idea that they were consuming anything with illegal ingredients. Plus, it preempts any of those arbitrary steroid allegations that some opponents like to make in the run-up to a fight.

But perhaps more than all of that, it's a good move because Donaire's "nutritionist and consultant" is the one-and-only Victor Conte.
http://
Sure, you remember him. The pencil-'stached chemist who ran BALCO (Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative) and became a household name during the Barry Bonds investigation. During the peak of the mid-2000s steroid revelations, Conte spilled secrets on ABC's 20/20. He talked about working with Olympic sprinters Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery and with NFL linebacker Bill Romanowski. In 2005, Conte served four months in jail for distributing steroids.

Well, he's back, and he's working with boxers now. In addition to Donaire, he's advising veteran Zab Judah, and, yes, Andre Berto. Not a perfect start for Conte's boxer-consultant career.

He knows his name will always be associated with performance-enhancing drugs. Donaire knows that too. So agreeing to year-round random doping tests makes sense. Conte told BoxingScene.com that Donaire is the first boxer to agree to year-round testing.

VADA, based in Las Vegas and headed by Margaret Goodman, the well-known ringside physician for the Nevada Athletic Commission, has conducted drug-testing for major bouts, including the one in which Berto was busted. Goodman has worked with Conte to hone strategies for the testing procedures.

Donaire next fights Jeffrey Mathebula on July 7. His year-round random testing schedule will begin the day after that.

jay you know more about that stuff then i do but i was listen to max kellerman podcast and he was saying everyone that has been caught was from VADA(and this is over the years) USDA has caught nobody and is said to be easy to pass and get by? and how come they dont use World Anti-Doping Agency?

thanks for all the kind words you guys means alot
pimp.gif

If this guy misses weight again
laugh.gif

Middleweight titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. figures to be in a real fight against Andy Lee on Saturday night (9 ET, HBO) at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas, so the outcome is in doubt.

But even before Chavez and Lee get into the ring, a question other than who will win is hanging out there: Will Chavez make the 160-pound weight limit at Friday's weigh-in?

Chavez struggled mightily to make weight for his first two defenses, which came against Peter Manfredo Jr. and Marco Antonio Rubio.

At the weigh-in for the Rubio fight in San Antonio in February, Chavez arrived quite late because he was struggling so badly to shed the extra weight, and when he got on the scale, he looked like he was going to pass out. When he finally got on the scale -- for about five seconds -- he hit 160, jumped off and began taking in liquid.

He had spent extra time in a sauna and swimming with strength and conditioning coach Alex Ariza, and eventually -- barely -- made the weight.

For the fight with Lee, Chavez banished Ariza (or it was Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, depending on which story you believe). In any event, Ariza is out and Luis Cornejo fills the role in Chavez's for the first time.

Cornejo and the fighter have been working together for three months to make sure Chavez, who blows up in a big way between fights, makes weight.

Head trainer (and newly elected Hall of Famer) Freddie Roach seemed unconcerned about the weight situation on Thursday.

Roach said Chavez, who trained for the Lee fight in Las Vegas, where he lived in a house Arum rented for him, weighed 165.5 pounds after their Wednesday night workout. That might seem like a lot at this point, but it's nothing compared to the insanity of making weight for Rubio.

"Last time, it was 16 pounds over at this point," Roach said. "He doesn't have so much to lose. He's healthy and happy and not starving himself. He looks good, and we did the mitts [Wednesday] night, six rounds, and he got a good sweat going. The last couple of pounds will be a chore, but nothing drastic. Last time was bad."

Chavez also might have a little less on his mind going into Saturday's fight. On the day of the Rubio fight, the news came out that Chavez had been arrested Jan. 22 on a DUI charge in Los Angeles, where he was training with Roach. That date was just two weeks before the bout.

However, as TMZ reported, Chavez recently struck a plea deal in the case, in which he got three years of probation and was ordered to attend 30 Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, which he has already completed. He has a Dec. 7 hearing scheduled.

And an important fight on Saturday

While on the subject of missing weight, Brandon Rios pulled out of his July 7th fight, scheduled co-feature on the Nonito Donaire card. Cited elbow tendinitis that will require at least a month's rest

Man, I was thinking Lee by KO
laugh.gif
but that's my Lee bias talking. I don't think Lee is winning a decision in Texas though and he cuts/swells bad enough that I could see the ref stepping in too. Tough call.

Back
Top Bottom