Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

MKG & Fab in the first round is my dream scenario.. snagging Barton in with 33 or 34 too
pimp.gif

I just saw a mock that has my Pacers taking Fab Melo in the 1st round....while I want a backup center, i DONT want it with our 1st round pick (especially considering we dnt have a second rounder). I really want Kendall Marshall if we cant swing a trade for Kyle Lowry.

I also believe that if you have a good young center (like Hibbert), you dont DRAFT his backup, you find him in free agency
I also wouldnt mind sending some sort of trade package including Collison to the Blazers for their second 1st round pick (i doubt thats realistic though)

Have high hopes/expectations from GSW, they seem to be great at spotting gems mid-round (steph + klay). But they've yet to draft a legit high-pick bigman after seeing guys like brandan wright and anthony randolph... Maybe this might be the year?

Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but was Kyle Singler the only dude who went overseas for the season that was drafted last year?
nerd.gif

anyone know if Reggie Hamilton from Oakland University is gonna be drafted? im guessing no....
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but was Kyle Singler the only dude who went overseas for the season that was drafted last year?
nerd.gif

Yup and he's balling out there, looks like he could be a real high level role player.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

nerd.gif
Yup and he's balling out there, looks like he could be a real high level role player.
Only reason I brought it up.
laugh.gif

I'd LOVE to see Kendall Marshall to the Hornets at #10. Marshall-EG-Ariza-Okafor-AD would be a solid up and coming team.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

I'd LOVE to see Kendall Marshall to the Hornets at #10. Marshall-EG-Ariza-Okafor-AD would be a solid up and coming team.
Wasnt Jarrett Jack and Grevis Vasquez the only bright spots that team had last year?

Originally Posted by solarius49

Wasnt Jarrett Jack and Grevis Vasquez the only bright spots that team had last year?
They were. I feel like they should go for Perry Jones at #10. I know his stock is dropping but he could be a nice pickup, ton of potential and athleticism and it might be the right fit for him under Monty Williams. If he pans out, Davis/Gordon/Jones would be a deadly combo.

Lamb to Cavs among best draft fits

ncb_split1x_576.jpg

Robinson, Lamb and Sullinger would be wise draft choices for certain lottery teams.

This year's NBA draft is not full of future stars like the 2003 draft that produced LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh. It's not even going to end up like the 2008 draft that produced Derrick Rose, Kevin Love and Eric Gordon.

Few drafts have that much firepower. This is more typically a draft that will require sifting through a couple of years' worth of accumulated information on prospects. That means savvy evaluating for the combination of talent and fit will yield quality NBA players for some, but not all, teams.

Now that the 2012 NBA draft selection order is set, here are five great fits for teams in the lottery:

No. 4: Cleveland Cavaliers
Jeremy Lamb, Connecticut Huskies
Put Lamb in the backcourt with defending rookie of the year Kyrie Irving and the Cavaliers have solved a major problem for the next decade. Lamb's positional size, scoring ability and high ceiling make him a great fit for a rebuilding franchise.

While Lamb, who is younger than Irving, can certainly improve his strength, the notion that he is a soft player is foolish.

He showed his toughness in the NCAA tournament his freshman season. Despite Kemba Walker's brilliance all season, there would have been no NCAA title for the Huskies in 2011 without Lamb's heroics. His clutch shooting bailed the Huskies out even when Walker went ice cold in games against Arizona and Butler.

This season, on a chaotic Huskies team, Lamb averaged 17 points per game. And while he struggled at times with his consistency from 3-point range, he shot a blistering 60 percent inside the arc. He learned to make plays for himself off the dribble this season and his movement without the ball has always been Ray Allen-like.

Right now, Florida's Bradley Beal is the direction in which the herd is being pulled, and he is certainly a lottery pick. But if it were up to me, I'd take Lamb. In a draft full of questions, outside of Davis, the Cavs' decision about who they should partner Irving with could have an impact on the team for a decade. I think Lamb will be a star.

No. 2: Charlotte Bobcats
Thomas Robinson, Kansas Jayhawks
Don't overthink this pick, Bobcats. You need ready-to-go NBA players right now -- and a lot of them. Robinson will step into your lineup at the power forward position and contribute double-doubles right away.

Last July, I watched Robinson dominate the counselor workouts at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Akron, Ohio. And yes, Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and the Plumlees were all there competing as well. After biding his time behind the Morris twins at KU, this camp was Robinson's coming-out party.

Then, in what would be a dominating junior season, Robinson basically put the Jayhawks on his back in leading them to the national championship game. Here's how.

While Robinson is closer to 6-foot-9 than 6-10, he has the requisite NBA athleticism, low-post skills and high-energy motor that will endear him to any franchise in the lottery. And it's clear that rebounding tends to translate from college to the NBA. His 31 percent defensive rebounding rate was the best in college basketball. He physically dominated the country for most of the season.

Robinson's toughness and level of competence as a player is a great starting point for the Bobcats, who are obviously disappointed they won't land Davis. They have to start somewhere, and a guy who will get them points and rebounds immediately is a good place.

No. 3: Washington Wizards
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky Wildcats
In another draft, Gilchrist's overall skill package would relegate him to a lower slot in the lottery. Even as a rookie, he may struggle to score and even consistently knock down outside shots. But the one thing he would be able to hang his hat on in any draft is his competitiveness. And nowhere is that needed more than in Washington.

Gilchrist was the de facto leader of this year's young Kentucky national championship team, setting the tone with his energy, toughness and athleticism. He ran the floor relentlessly and attacked the rim with abandon. He'll rebound his position as well as anyone. And hopefully the way he's conditioned himself to play will rub off on a Wizards team that went 20-46 this season.

If Gilchrist can polish up his offensive game -- he shot 26 percent from beyond the college arc -- he'll start from Day 1 and compete for the NBA Rookie of the Year award. This is a great fit because he will play a prominent role immediately on a team that has to learn how to win.

No. 8: Toronto Raptors
Jared Sullinger, Ohio State Buckeyes
The Raptors could certainly use help at a number of spots, but I like them rebuilding their team with a front line that includes high-character Ohio State star Sullinger and 2011 first-round selection Jonas Valanciunas, the 6-11 Lithuanian 20-year-old who spent the past season playing in Europe.

Sullinger may not have the elite athleticism you'd want out of an NBA power forward, but he has always thrived on his toughness around the basket, his outstanding fundamentals and great basketball acumen. He drew an average of 6.1 fouls per 40 minutes this season and shoots a shade under 70 percent from the foul line. In a league full of undersized forwards, he'll get opponents in foul trouble.

Valanciunas, who dominated the Under-19 world championships last summer and who played well this season in EuroCup play, has some toughness of his own. His length and defensive potential at center will complement Sullinger's scoring and rebounding potential as well.

The two 20-year olds won't make the Raptors a playoff team, but it is a good start.

No. 10: New Orleans Hornets
Perry Jones, Baylor Bears
Davis, Gordon and -- most importantly -- Hornets coach Monty Williams will make a good marriage for Baylor's Perry Jones. First of all, the franchise has already hit the lottery (pun intended) with the chance to pick Davis at No. 1, so there's room here for the risk/reward of the equally prodigious talent, Jones.

Under the right circumstances, Jones could have been a top-three pick last year but elected to return to Baylor for his sophomore season. However, his long bouts of inconsistent play this season raise a lot of questions on the part of NBA decision-makers.

Here's what I know. At 6-11 and 240 pounds, Jones has a nearly perfect NBA power forward's frame and the requisite athleticism to be an All-Star. And few at his size can handle the ball like he does. In addition, he is a high-character kid who will work as hard at his game as Williams pushes him.

If Jones is missing anything, it is the "nasty" (as Gregg Popovich would put it) and toughness needed to compete night in and night out against guys like Kevin Garnett and Bosh. And he'll need it, because I don't believe he has the skills to float on the perimeter as a small forward, although he's being marketed that way.

Williams is one of the bright young coaches in the NBA and Jones has a lot to learn about the game, but he will be a willing learner. If Williams can get the 20-year-old to begin to play to his potential, the Hornets' rebuilding process will be sped up considerably. It's a gamble that I would take.

agreed with everything he said about Lamb, including drafting him over Beal. Dude is the prototypical SG (height/wingspan/skill) imo.

The more and more I look at MKG/TRob, the more I like Robinson for us at #2.

If we can somehow pick up another lottery pick and grab a SG/SF i'd be very happy.

My ideal scenario is to come away with Robinson/Barnes somehow

Royce White worked out for the Thunder this week. I also heard they are looking at Andrew Nicholson. Tibor Pleiss is still over in Europe too for them

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

They were. I feel like they should go for Perry Jones at #10. I know his stock is dropping but he could be a nice pickup, ton of potential and athleticism and it might be the right fit for him under Monty Williams. If he pans out, Davis/Gordon/Jones would be a deadly combo.

so what postion is jones going to play?

Sully, I think he'll be gone by 8 though. 
pimp.gif

For the Raps my board right now would go.

Sully
Q. Miller
Kendall Marshal
J Lamb

man, i hope Valanciunas doesn't suck

Ford saying he would be #2 this year gives me lots of hope tho
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mikeknows

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

so what postion is jones going to play?
I always felt like Davis would play center there (he does need to bulk up ala Tyson Chandler).  So Jones could play the PF position.  Two 6'11 guys on the floor at the same time would be an amazing combination for the Hornets

Back
Top Bottom