Official 2012 NBA Trade Deadline Thread: The Dwightmare is Over.

Originally Posted by JPZx

[h1]http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....nets-considering-trading-for-michael-beasley/[/h1]
[h1]Report: Celtics, Nets considering trading for Michael Beasley[/h1]
Kurt Helin

Feb 28, 2012, 1:31 PM EST
beaseartest.jpg

I’m beginning to think we should use Michael Beasley as the “desperation meter

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

Shoud have stopped here. The article is now invalid.

Exactly, dude has been fired from every television gig he's had.
Anyone catch Brooke Lopez tonight? He balled out of his mind, scored 38 points. Has D12 even had 38 this season?
laugh.gif
 However Brooke just made the D12 trade to the Brooklyn Nets that much more appealing to the Magic.

[h3]Howard Preferred Nets Before Conversation With Kobe[/h3]
Feb 28, 2012 9:50 AM EST

Howard_Dwight_orl_120111.jpg
Dwight Howard's list of preferred destinations remains the Nets, Lakers and Mavericks with the Nets as the clear leader, according to a source.

One source said Howard wants to "be Kobe Bryant, not be with Kobe Bryant."

Sam Amick also cites close friends of Howard who say Bryant informed him that he would be the second or third option on the Lakers. 

RealGM's Jarrod Rudolph first reported details of the conversation in which Bryant compared Howard's potential impact to Tyson Chandler.

But one source says Howard preferred the Nets even before the Bryant conversation.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...s_Before_Conversation_With_Kobe#ixzz1nkyP3K7y

^They know they meant to say Shaq.

laugh.gif
@ Kobe possibly telling Dwight he'd be Tyson Chandler on the Lakers. DISRESPECT.

Just an article but I just can't help but envision a Nets team with no stars and all those bums (AGAIN).

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

Originally Posted by CP1708

itsaboutthattime wrote:
the problem with talking/comparing NBA vs MLB and making the playoffs is every damn team makes the playoffs in the nba..

seriously 16 of the 30 teams make the playoffs in the NBA

before MLB introduced the wild card in '94 only 4 teams made the playoffs TOTAL.. now 8 of the 30 teams make the playoffs

Question, pick a sport.  How many sports have a team with damn near HALF the championship appearances? 

We ain't exactly the Jazz with 20 consecutive playoff appearances, and out in the first round in half of them bruh.  

31 Finals appearances in 63 years, this being 64 (if I am not off a year) 

We look like a bunch of 8th seeds to you guys? 
laugh.gif

Anyway, stall all that @#$% this ain't the Laker hater thread and Laker fans come thru to defend ourselves, it's the trade thread.  LA could be in the mix, maybe they ain't, either way, let's get movin.  We can fight about the Lakers dominance elsewhere. 
wink.gif

when did i ever question the lakers?

SIMPLY pointing out that if you want to talk about 'making the playoffs' in comparison to the yankees it is not a good idea.. considering how few playoff spots are available in MLB

and 8th seeds make the playoffs just like the 1st seeds do (or have the lakers NEVER made it to the playoffs as an 8th seed?).. my point was to point out the how great the yankees accomplishments were/are ( and i hate the yankees)

did you not say this:
Originally Posted by CP1708

Here, I'll help you out, Lakers been around 62-63 years or so, missed the playoffs FIVE times.  That's, 5.  Even the Yankees missed the playoffs more then that in a single decade (diff sports, don't get sidetracked, just an example) 

also the salary cap wasn't introduced in the nba until 1984 (since it has been referenced a number of times in this thread)

Actually, Lakers have only finished 8th place or WORSE 4 times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...s_Angeles_Lakers_seasons

Historically, Lakers finish 4th seed or higher (lots of #1 seeds actually)

Yes, it is easier to make the playoffs in the NBA than MLB simple because more seeds are available, but even if there were only 4 teams to make it, or 6, Lakers would still be in the playoffs most of the same years. They would have actually missed 12 playoff years if only 4 seeds were available, out of 60 or so possible years.

Originally Posted by Statis22

To be Kobe he would have to stay in Orlando right?

To be kobe he would actually have to be deemed a closer which he is not.
No team fears dwight howard on the offensive side. All they have to do is foul him.

Any team he goes to he wont be the number one guy unless its a team full of garbage.

Who remembers chris bosh saying the same exact thing? Of wanting to be that guy? guess where he ended up? and bosh was better polished offensively.

kobe is an idiot though. You dont tell dude that. You let him think what he wants then when its a done deal and hes on your team you never pass to him and take alll the shots you want
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by presequel

Actually, Lakers have only finished 8th place or WORSE 4 times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...s_Angeles_Lakers_seasons

Historically, Lakers finish 4th seed or higher (lots of #1 seeds actually)

Yes, it is easier to make the playoffs in the NBA than MLB simple because more seeds are available, but even if there were only 4 teams to make it, or 6, Lakers would still be in the playoffs most of the same years. They would have actually missed 12 playoff years if only 4 seeds were available, out of 60 or so possible years.

only 4 teams total made the playoffs in MLB before '94 (so 2 NL and 2 AL teams)..

in '94 it went up to 4 teams from each side, so a total of 8   

EDIT:
plus  it needs to be factored in how few teams there we back then.. for example i just looked up the 1951-52 season and there were 10 teams TOTAL int he league (and only 2 of the 10 teams didn't make the playoffs)

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

laugh.gif
@ the Lakers being the Yankees of the NBA
The disrespect is just wild man.
30t6p3b.gif

Oh so they went to half of the NBA FINALS. But only won half of the time. I wonder who was owning these CLOWNS since 59?
nerd.gif

Oh thats right the Boston Celtics.

[table][tr][td]Post season meetings[/td][td]43–31 (BOS)[/td][/tr][tr][td]1959 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–0[/td][/tr][tr][td]1962 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–3[/td][/tr][tr][td]1963 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–2[/td][/tr][tr][td]1965 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–1[/td][/tr][tr][td]1966 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–3[/td][/tr][tr][td]1968 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–2[/td][/tr][tr][td]1969 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–3[/td][/tr][tr][td]1984 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–3[/td][/tr][tr][td]1985 NBA Finals[/td][td]Lakers won, 4–2[/td][/tr][tr][td]1987 NBA Finals[/td][td]Lakers won, 4–2[/td][/tr][tr][td]2008 NBA Finals[/td][td]Celtics won, 4–2[/td][/tr][tr][td]2010 NBA Finals[/td][td]Lakers won, 4–3[/td][/tr][/table]
/argument.

roll.gif
you have a few franchises in each sport that transcend the sport. In the NBA it is the Lakers & Celtics.. And the less successful, but in because where they play Knicks. That point in inarguable.  

does dwight really want to play for the 2nd team here when the nets move to bk?

btw, anyone have pics of their new logo

^ obviously the lakers have a GREAT history and i'm not disputing that..

but i just think the yankees have set the bar unrealistically high (and again, i hate them):

they have made it to the world series 40 times.. the next highest is 18 (dodgers, giants and cardinals)

they have won it 27 times.. the next highest is 11 (cardinals.. no other team has double digit wins)

then you have to factor in how difficult it is/was to make the playoffs in baseball

(and when i have some time or if someone is up to it, they can go look through the number of teams per year in the NBA.. because i didn't realize things were that bad in the 50s.. 80% of the damn league making the playoffs)

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

does dwight really want to play for the 2nd team here when the nets move to bk?

btw, anyone have pics of their new logo
Maybe.

No.

and it has to hurt the lakers' chances of getting dwight every time shaq opens his mouth..

seriously, buss doesn't have enough pull to get him thrown off the air?!

^ You are right.

But going off history,legacy and the like if someone was saying the Lakers are the Yankees of the NBA is not some insult to the Yankees.. Nor would it be if you said the Celtics were..

There are a few franchises in each sport that are by far ahead of the other 95% and the Lakers would be part of that.

Originally Posted by Essential1

^ You are right.

But going off history,legacy and the like if someone was saying the Lakers are the Yankees of the NBA is not some insult to the Yankees.. Nor would it be if you said the Celtics were..

There are a few franchises in each sport that are by far ahead of the other 95% and the Lakers would be part of that.

and this is exactly my issue with the comparison.. the fact that there is even a debate/option should negate it from happening..

in baseball, it's the yankees.. there are no other options.. there is no debate (i feel dirty right now)

You guys truly struggle seeing things broad view. 

Yankees aren't JUST the best from their titles, it's their players.  Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, Maris, Mattingly, Jeter, Mo, A-Rod  Greats of the greats. 

Lakers throw the rest of the NBA in the garbage with West, Baylor, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Shaq, Kobe  This is the who's who of the NBA. 

What you guys keep confusing with the whole "put that stat up in 50 more years" well, that'll be easy, because the game only been around 64 years, and 59 of them the Lakers were in the hunt at least.  It ain't gonna stop now.  'Nother 50 years we'll be just fine. 

The Celtics are clearly great, but all that work they did in a 10 team NBA in the 50's and 60's dried up rather quick.  Since 75, they have what, 5 titles or something like that?  They did 11 in less than 2 decades, and 6 the next 4 decades.  They went from 86 to 08 from titles, and several of those years they did less than nothing.  They were a high lottery team multiple times, Lakers haven't been in the lottery on their own since I don't even know when.  Magic and Worthy were #1 picks that we made trades to get, not sucked so bad we got top picks.  Hell, even when we "bottom out" after Magic and Shaq, we got the 10th pick, and turned those to Eddie Jones and Bynum. 
laugh.gif
  Some teams draft #1-2 and can't get players better than Jones or Bynum. 
pimp.gif

It's not a knock on the Yankees at all, and I do understand the 17>16 argument side of Boston vs Lakers, but as I have pointed out, all that work came before the true foundation of the NBA was built.  The Celts got all their work done before any other franchises had even popped up to compete against.  Lakers been around every year, every decade.  Hence the Yankee comparison. 

Back
Top Bottom