Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Schaeffer is pulling all stops to get Cotto vs Alvarez. As much as Id like to see it, I think it will be better for Cotto to pick an easier fight first.

yea fight one more dude THEN get paid$$$$$$ to get a butt whooping from Canelo .

collazo vs Victor Ortiz

I'd take that whooping for that kinda dough.

"I didn`t have to fight this fight," said Larry Holmes. "Everyone knows I`m rich and I invested well, although $3 million is nothing to sneeze at.."

Richard Schaeffer is pulling all stops to get Cotto vs Alvarez. As much as Id like to see it, I think it will be better for Cotto to pick an easier fight first.

When has he ever been known for taking easy fights though? The easier fight would be against Sergio at 160. If/When he passes on Alvarez, there are gonna be some dopes that say he ducked him to fight Martinez.

Last edited:

When has he ever been known for taking easy fights though? The easier fight would be against Sergio at 160. If/When he passes on Alvarez, there are gonna be some dopes that say he ducked him to fight Martinez.

I was thinking Cotto can fight Molina for the IBF strap. Then use it as leverage to ask for more money to fight Canelo. If Cotto loses to Canelo, his career and big paydays are done. SO he mind as well go out with a bang,

Last edited:
The Canelo fight is very much a winnable one for Cotto

I meant to put easier in quotes because I feel the same way.

Cotto doesn't need leverage to fight Canelo. Canelo is coming off a bad loss, only one other notable guy on his resume and Cotto doesn't need him to earn money being a promotional free agent + having a very big following.

It depends how he loses. I don't see Canelo beating him into retirement or out of paydays.

Tough to believe that Nonito is playing second fiddle to Mikey Garcia on a HBO card

I like Garcia a lot, just strange how hard Nonito's star has fallen

Tough to believe that Nonito is playing second fiddle to Mikey Garcia on a HBO card

I like Garcia a lot, just strange how hard Nonito's star has fallen

Show's how much a thorough embarrassment can bring you down.

I agree with you though, it's odd that he's not headlining. Not only that, but it's a rematch with Vic, who HBO at the time seemed to be trying to push as their next new golden boy (until Nonito came around).

It's hard to guage the pecking order right now for HBO in terms of their promotion though.

Manny is obviosuly their top cash-cow, but after Marquez, all of their main-stable guys are in a cluster.

Sergio, Ward, Bradley, Rios, Mikey, Donaire, GGG, Cotto, and I guess Alvarado and Provodnikov now after his amazing 2013.

I wonder who they push as their next true superstar once Manny is officially done. Ward is the logical choice, but he's already out of contenders. GGG doesn't have the marketability. Cotto is probably exiting his prime unless he can make a startling comeback. Sergio is like 64 years old, or at least his body acts like it.

^they might see something in Adonis Stevenson too. I seeing them rebuilding Chavez Jr. But I disagree that GGG is not marketable, if anything Ward is not marketable. GGG is becoming more and more popular with each fight and he's only been on HBO for a year.

Regarding Donaire, the bloom was off the proverbial rose before the Rigo fight, not sure what happened to him but he just seemed average, outside out washing a faded Arce.

GGG has superstar potential, its obvious, and I believe the trending #'s back that up. Only problem will be getting people to fight him and/or weight class

Garcia has the skill set, he's got the rabid Mexicano fan base, but he certainly doesn't have the personality, sometimes that doesn't matter though. We shall see. Him missing weight against JuanMa was pretty beat though.

With Bam Bam getting fed to the wolves, interesting to see what happens there.

Someone posted it a few weeks ago...I think it might be more than half :smh:

**** is sad as hell man, a legend is going to keep fighting and taking punishment because of that gash.

He'll be slurring his speech in a year and the promoters will have no problem trotting him out there :smh:

I believe she gets half of all his earnings before their divorce, what he makes after the divorce is his. He probably spent a good portion of that, so he has to make it back somehow. Of course, he still has to pay child support.

Last edited:
Yeah like 18grand a month, five gs for her clothing if I remember correct. It's a damn shame

^they might see something in Adonis Stevenson too. I seeing them rebuilding Chavez Jr. But I disagree that GGG is not marketable, if anything Ward is not marketable. GGG is becoming more and more popular with each fight and he's only been on HBO for a year.

What I meant is passing of the torch kind of deal. I don't mean to say that GGG isn't marketable AT ALL. Of course he is. He's an exciting fighter. But he doesn't have his entire country and ethnicity abuzz like the buzz around Pacquiao was when he started fighting Morales, JMM, and MAB. I meant to say that no one can carry that torch right now, and have the financial success that Manny had with PPV buys.

If GGG is the big-money guy, he will have no issue finding opponents. Money talks.

I think the worst thing is that Manny IS still around, but in a flux right now. He's not dominant anymore, yet there's no one sitting on the doorstep ready to take the throne like Manny and Floyd were about 8 years ago.

Trust me, I love Gennady, but I just don't see him being that new guy to take over the boxing world LIKE THAT. I'd love to be dead wrong though. :pimp:

Completely agree that something must be up with Donaire. Dude lost to Rigo but it was a tough fight and Rigo is no joke. I don't think he was embarrassed in the loss but he was definitely out boxed. But HBO was pushing him hard before that fight i don't know why they jumped off so fast after one loss. Something else must be at play

Without the national fan base it will be hard for GGG to do Manny PPV numbers....but he does have superstar potential....and if he gets another one or two fights and has a signature moment...he could ascend to super stardom.

I think canelo has a lot at stake if he takes on cotto. It's tough to tell which cotto we will see....but he did look great in his last fight and he is exceptionally skilled. So if he beats Canelo i think a lot of the shine is off him. I know he is young and will have the ability to bounce back but i think its better for him to fight molina first or another tune up fight (i'm sure molina would get shafted by judges like usual no matter how well he fights against canelo)

Excited for the fights tomorrow though especially Donaire after the long lay off

Before the Rigo fight, Donaire said he was taking some time off because he was starting a family.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_...rmo-rigondeaux-unification-fight-set-april-13
Donaire likely won't fight four times this year because he plans to take time off this summer. His wife, Rachel, is pregnant with their first child, a boy, and due in late July.

"I will do as much as I can this year, but my primary thing this year after this fight is having a family," he said. "We are very excited about [the baby]. I can win titles and more titles and it pays the bills but I also want to be a good father and husband."

I dont think HBO is dodging Donaire. He still fought twice this year, but his fights were in the begining and end of the year so it feels like I havent seen him fight in forever.

Before the Rigo fight, Donaire said he was taking some time off because he was starting a family.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_...rmo-rigondeaux-unification-fight-set-april-13
Donaire likely won't fight four times this year because he plans to take time off this summer. His wife, Rachel, is pregnant with their first child, a boy, and due in late July.

"I will do as much as I can this year, but my primary thing this year after this fight is having a family," he said. "We are very excited about [the baby]. I can win titles and more titles and it pays the bills but I also want to be a good father and husband."

I dont think HBO is dodging Donaire. He still fought twice this year, but his fights were in the begining and end of the year so it feels like I havent seen him fight in forever.

He fought Arce in Dec of '12 and Rigo in april '13.....but you are right for some reason i thought they were like 2 years ago :lol: guess the layoff isn't really that long....just long when he was fighting 4 times a year at one point.

Completely agree that something must be up with Donaire. Dude lost to Rigo but it was a tough fight and Rigo is no joke. I don't think he was embarrassed in the loss but he was definitely out boxed. But HBO was pushing him hard before that fight i don't know why they jumped off so fast after one loss. Something else must be at play

I'll share something but I'm not 100% sure that this is the reason.

Donaire said in a local news interview that he wanted to have as many as fights as possible for 2012 up to early 2013. I'm sure you have heard of fighters who are eager to fight again because they were not damaged badly after a fight. Also, he wanted to fight again before his wife gave birth (wife gave birth few months after the rigondeaux fight). He rushed into the rigo fight and didn't study him well, hence he was out-boxed then lost. That is why he took long to fight again, I guess even boxers are entitled to a paternity leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom