OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN 1m
WIllie Taggart, who interviewed at South Carolina, reached agreement in principle w/USF for 5-year deal thru 2020 season, source told @espn

florida 
mean.gif

Random, but I totally forgot Clay Helton was the running backs coach at Memphis when DeAngelo Williams was there.

While the blue bloods of CFB have done well this year (Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma), I think there's been a lot of great parity in the sport.

There is no one league or team that is head and shoulders better than everyone else and I think that's a good thing. Certainly makes watching the games more intriguing. Granted, there are problems that really need to be addressed to create more consistency between leagues.

1. Conferences need to decide on a single model to play their games. Whether it's eight or nine games (nine is better as it creates more league games that ultimately create more drama and have greater effect on the sport), there needs to be some uniformity. There's no way to effectively compare a team who played eight conference games against a team who played nine.

2. Conferences must decide their champions using the same criteria. This is mainly a finger pointed at the Big 12. Having some conferences play an extra game to determine their champion and others not have to creates another point of difference that makes it more difficult to effectively compare teams and schedules.

3. The playoff needs to expand to eight teams. I think this is a no-brainer. There's so much discussion about a four-team playoff and who should get in and why. "They pass the eye test." "They played a harder schedule." "They're the most talented." These are all HIGHLY subjective. I think if the field were expanded to eight teams, the teams who truly deserve and are capable of winning it all would have a chance. Take the conference champions from the Power 5, reserve a spot for a Group of 5 team (provided they meet certain requirements), and have two spots open for at-large teams. A committee could seed the teams based on discussion and data, but this would create a sense of fair competition and allow for teams like Ohio State this year or TCU/Baylor last year to get their chance to play for it all. This wouldn't take away the importance of winning a conference championship and would still preserve the regular season. The first round of playoffs could be played at the higher-seed's venue and then the final four played at the big bowls like how it's currently set up.

4. Governing body of referees. There is some talk of this going on already, but I think it makes sense to have some sort of central group that oversees referees and replay officials.

Thoughts?

Like 1, 2 and 4, but what would you say for going six teams with two getting a bye?

If they're gonna go to 8 games I hope they raise schollie limits or give more bye weeks

Winning a chip might take playing 16 games, that's a bit much w/o other concessions

Like 1, 2 and 4, but what would you say for going six teams with two getting a bye?

What I'm in favor of is guaranteeing a spot as a result of being the conference champion. At six teams, and using that logic, there is only one spot left for many potential suitors.

The crowd shots in the SWAC game are pretty great.

Last edited:
If they're gonna go to 8 games I hope they raise schollie limits or give more bye weeks

Winning a chip might take playing 16 games, that's a bit much w/o other concessions

The scheduling of bye weeks is really weird. Some teams going 12 weeks without a break is ridiculous (I think ASU or Arizona had this situation this year). I don't know that I'm in favor of the raising of scholarship limits though. Teams are already over 100 players. The NFL plays with a 53 man roster (granted, with the benefit of free agents).

Greenville Gazette ‏@GamecockColonel 17m17 minutes ago
CONFIRMED: Sources tell Greenville Gazette that Will Muschamp has agreed to a 5 year / $20.4M offer to become South Carolina's Head Coach

LOL

Back
Top Bottom