OFFICIAL 2015 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD (NBA FINALS SET; GSW V. CLE - (But we have a whole week before the

What Team is Going to Win the Finals?

• Cavs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warriors

• I Can't Decide

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
why are the starters still in?

doc bout to pull a thibs 
mean.gif

I thought non playoff team discussion wasn't allowed in here?

Why are we still seeing dudes cry about the Lakers in their posts?

Trail Blazers' list of concerns after Game 1 should include the future of LaMarcus Aldridge

It was 40 minutes before Game 1 here Sunday when Trail Blazers owner Paul Allen arrived at FedExForum and caught the eye of LaMarcus Aldridge.

The Blazers star was in the midst of his pregame warmup when he stopped to run over to the corner baseline to greet the man who has paid him nearly $90 million over his career.

As they stood and visited, Allen told Aldridge he visited the Memphis Music Hall of Fame.

"Did you have fun?'' Aldridge asked.

Allen shrugged his shoulders with indifference.

"Well, hope you have fun tonight,'' Aldridge said, shaking his hand again, and patting the owner on the shoulder before returning to his shooting routine.

A couple hours later, after the Blazers were embarrassed by Memphis, I'm beginning to wonder whether Allen, and the rest of the Blazers, shouldn't be the ones offering Aldridge the well wishes.

After an atrocious performance by the Blazers that at one point left Aldridge sitting alone on the bench as his teammates joined a late-game huddle, the Blazers need to worry about more than just losing this series.

They need to worry about losing one of the greatest players in franchise history.

Some Blazers players have already said they are worried free agency will take Aldridge away from Portland this summer. Earlier this month, before a home game, a Blazers player estimated the chances of him returning to Portland at 50-50.

Personally, I've always believed Aldridge will return to Portland. Allen can offer more years and more money to Aldridge than any other owner. But behind the numbers and dollar figures is the undeniable fact that he has become comfortable in the city and feels valued within the organization. With Aldridge, that means more than any wad of money or the attention of any big city can offer.

It's why Aldridge took a bold stance last summer after he politely turned down an offer to sign a three-year extension, saying he would rather sign a five-year deal with Portland.

"I don't want it to be perceived that I'm not happy, or I'm not staying on because I'm not signing a three-year deal,'' Aldridge told The Oregonian last July. "It's just financially smarter to wait ... and I'm looking forward to signing the five-year deal when the chance comes.''

But one Blazers player cautioned that Aldridge already has enough money. Happiness is what he is truly seeking, and that could be found in being closer to family in Texas.

It's the tricky thing about Aldridge. No one ever really knows where he stands. He is fickle. Moody. And unpredictable.

So as this Blazers season has devolved into a snowball of snafus, epitomized by Sunday's Game 1 that featured wild shots, broken assignments, and embarrassing miscues, it was safe to wonder where Aldridge's mind was headed.

Aldridge was one of the few Blazers who competed. One of the few who busted his tail on both ends of the court. He wasn't great, hitting only 13-of-34 shots, but he was a factor. He finished with 32 points, 14 rebounds, and four blocks.

After the game, he addressed the media and bluntly assessed: "We got our (behinds) kicked.''

He said he believed in his teammates because they have shown resiliency in the past. He said they have proven they are a competitive bunch.

"I think it's a good wakeup call for us,'' Aldridge said.

The Blazers need to be more physical in Game 2, Aldridge said.

"I think a lot of the guys didn't understand how physical it would be,'' he said. "You can tell guys it would be physical and a playoff atmosphere, but you don't really understand it until you get in it. I think now a lot of guys who didn't understand it, understand it.''

But if Tony Allen continues to push around the Blazers wings? And Damian Lillard continues to play out of control? And Robin Lopez continues his mysterious late-season disappearance?

Is a playoff collapse enough to influence Aldridge?

It's a question the Blazers should add to their considerable list of concerns today.
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...ers_list_of_concerns_after_game_1_should.html

Oof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom