Official 2018 Los Angeles Dodgers Thread : Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
R.I.P
FB_IMG_1659502986963.jpg

At the end. They put it up at the end of the game and when they did the interview with Dave she said you and the team just found out...

Yeah they didn’t show a tribute until after the game. Based on this it seems like they held off out of respect for the dodgers organization and didn’t want our players and coaches to find out about the news on the Jumbotron. Possible that someone broke the news to them after the final out since the tribute went up a couple minutes after the game

Watched Game One of the '88 WS on YouTube during work today (I have two monitor going all the time). While Vin's call of Gibby's HR rightfully gets all the attention, the entire broadcast was magical. He worked so well with Garagiola, and to his credit, Joe knew to keep quiet and let Vin or the crowd do the talking. Such a great game to rewatch even all these years later.

Vin story telling was something special. He took you on a journey where it was like you were living that life.
One Thing i truly miss right now and something that the Game misses now. Huge shoes to fill…Thank God for blessing us with someone who filled our imagination of the dreams, experiences, and history of baseball. He made me appreciate baseball a lot(never played it in HS, just played football). Wished I had thou. You will be missed Vin.
(…High fly ball into right field. She is gone!…)😢

Last edited:
Vin story telling was something special. He took you on a journey where it was like you were living that life.
One Thing i truly miss right now and something that the Game misses now. Huge shoes to fill…Thank God for blessing us with someone who filled our imagination of the dreams, experiences, and history of baseball. He made me appreciate baseball a lot(never played it in HS, just played football). Wished I had thou. You will be missed Vin.
(…High fly ball into right field. She is gone!…)😢
You know, two things I haven't heard mentioned in any of the coverage I've seen so far:
1) Even though he was Dodgers through-and-through, Vin was never, ever a 'homer.' His stories about opposing players actually made you like them, if not as ballplayers then at least as human beings lol
2) In the years I listened to him, I don't think I ever once heard him question an ump's call, at least not a ball/strike call. Every single PxP guy I think I've ever heard has questioned a high strike or a ball that obviously well inside the zone (Joe D even did it Monday night). But not Vin - he never called out even the most obviously bad calls. I always respected the hell outta him for that.

Those two things made it almost impossible for me to listen to any other MLB announcer. The only one I ever listened to regularly who I think ever came close was **** Enberg - he was also very good to listen to both on Padres' calls and when he did national games. I always hope someone else would take that approach but I think everyone thinks the "us vs them" attitude is what's needed nowadays, unfortunately.

You know, two things I haven't heard mentioned in any of the coverage I've seen so far:
1) Even though he was Dodgers through-and-through, Vin was never, ever a 'homer.' His stories about opposing players actually made you like them, if not as ballplayers then at least as human beings lol
2) In the years I listened to him, I don't think I ever once heard him question an ump's call, at least not a ball/strike call. Every single PxP guy I think I've ever heard has questioned a high strike or a ball that obviously well inside the zone (Joe D even did it Monday night). But not Vin - he never called out even the most obviously bad calls. I always respected the hell outta him for that.

Those two things made it almost impossible for me to listen to any other MLB announcer. The only one I ever listened to regularly who I think ever came close was **** Enberg - he was also very good to listen to both on Padres' calls and when he did national games. I always hope someone else would take that approach but I think everyone thinks the "us vs them" attitude is what's needed nowadays, unfortunately.

Listening to guys who had regular gigs when they did national broadcasts with their teams against the Dodgers was a struggle not gonna name any names JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom