Official 2018 Los Angeles Dodgers Thread : Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get why some folks would be upset, but I'm all for my favorite athletes not being miserable. Good for him, he's laying down the foundation for something after he's done playing. Anyone who thinks him sitting at home, hating himself for post season failures, will increase likelihood he'll perform better in the future is delusional.

I get why some folks would be upset, but I'm all for my favorite athletes not being miserable. Good for him, he's laying down the foundation for something after he's done playing. Anyone who thinks him sitting at home, hating himself for post season failures, will increase likelihood he'll perform better in the future is delusional.
You’re 100 percent right, but there seems to be a lot of fans that think exactly this. When their team has a disappointing finish they swear the players have to spend the whole offseason alternating between wallowing in misery and being in the gym/in the cage/on the field.

They didn’t lowball Seager. But they also didn’t go all out to keep him either. But I get the reasoning. He missed significant time in 2018 and also missed a lot of time in 2021. There was a notable injury history there. Plus getting Trea Turner, even if only for a season and a half made Seager more expendable.

As for the Rangers. They were coming off a 102 loss season in 2021. They had every reason to make a splash and pay the crazy amount they gave Seager. It’s magnified seeing Seager flourish in the World Series right now. But letting him walk isn’t some major epic L to me either imo.

I honestly think Friedman and them believed it wouldn’t be too huge a drop off from Seags to Lux. I love Lux, but man were they wrong lol!

I don't think we know that for sure yet.

Maybe the thought was Trea would be back...I don't know.

I'm hoping Lux comes back strong this year.
Yeah, seems like Trea was always a stopgap until Lux was ready or they figured something else out. That’s why the Correa rumors were frustrating, pay Seags in the first place and you don’t have to worry about it.

Makes me wonder if they would’ve resigned Seager if all the Bauer stuff never happened. Getting Turner under contract for 2022 reduced that urgency for them.

Unless Seager absolutely didn’t want to be in LA. They could’ve made that happen. But the injuries were a valid reason to not offer what the Rangers offered or what they would’ve had to offer to match that when you factor taxes into the equation.

They didn’t lowball Seager. But they also didn’t go all out to keep him either. But I get the reasoning. He missed significant time in 2018 and also missed a lot of time in 2021. There was a notable injury history there. Plus getting Trea Turner, even if only for a season and a half made Seager more expendable.
People forget that. Now that he’s killing it people are upset dodgers didn’t sign him. It was a big risk (to me at least) to give somebody 10 years and that much money for somebody with the injuries/time missed. You can’t win em all **kanye shrug**

Dodgers were also looking like genius’ (up until September) with not re-signing Trea.

For the price they paid for JD, Heyward (even peralta) they got major production. Like I said, you can’t win em all

Max is still better than league average, for the most part, so I like the deal. 5 day period before FA can sign with new teams ends on Monday so I'm ready for the action next week :smokin

People forget that. Now that he’s killing it people are upset dodgers didn’t sign him. It was a big risk (to me at least) to give somebody 10 years and that much money for somebody with the injuries/time missed. You can’t win em all **kanye shrug**

Dodgers were also looking like genius’ (up until September) with not re-signing Trea.

For the price they paid for JD, Heyward (even peralta) they got major production. Like I said, you can’t win em all

The move was a great move for the Rangers. But it also wasn’t this epic fail disaster a lot of Dodger fans on Reddit and these fb groups living in the moment are framing it to be either.

For context, Seager missed 136 games in 2018, 28 games in 2019, and 67 games in 2021. It’s going to be overshadowed by him killing it in the World Series, but for good measure, he also missed 43 games this season.

There’s plenty of stuff the Dodgers deserve to be dragged for. But them letting Seager walk isn’t one of those things to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom