**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of a theory I've always had: If you pickup playing the piano later in life, on average a person will struggle more so than someone who started at an earlier age
Me and my boy had the same theory about video games.

We both started our gaming careers with the NES.

So we had another friend that first owned a system with PS1. When we used to play N64, he would always make Rookie mistakes, and we always attributed it to him not having a strong gaming base/foundation.

Reminds me of a theory I've always had: If you pickup playing the piano later in life, on average a person will struggle more so than someone who started at an earlier age
This seems to be true just based on time spent doing something. More time generally leads to more expertise.

I have a theory about Ben...but before I go there, I want to tell you how I got this theory...

I have a friend (who also happens to be Austrailian) who's shot looked eerily similar to Ben Simmons, he would take all these three point shots but never make em.

The reason his shot is awkward and unreliable is that he can't bend his wrist backward. His three-point shot looks like a more extreme version of Michael Redd's catapult jump shot, except that my friend would literally put the ball almost behind his head to put that extra arc in his shot.

Then I look at Ben, his free throw shots always reminded me of something, but it finally clicked. Can Ben Simmons bend his wrist backward? I just did a quick google image search and youtube search and this is the best that I can find.

I may be completely off, but if this is indeed the case, I don't see how he can pick up a reliable jump shot...

bd028f4b18f8313fdd50548fab8b92e0

images

2B486A3900000578-0-image-a-6_1439628100374.jpg

simmons-shot-1.jpg

I have a theory about Ben...but before I go there, I want to tell you how I got this theory...

I have a friend (who also happens to be Austrailian) who's shot looked eerily similar to Ben Simmons, he would take all these three point shots but never make em.

The reason his shot is awkward and unreliable is that he can't bend his wrist backward. His three-point shot looks like a more extreme version of Michael Redd's catapult jump shot, except that my friend would literally put the ball almost behind his head to put that extra arc in his shot.

Then I look at Ben, his free throw shots always reminded me of something, but it finally clicked. Can Ben Simmons bend his wrist backward? I just did a quick google image search and youtube search and this is the best that I can find.

I may be completely off, but if this is indeed the case, I don't see how he can pick up a reliable jump shot...

images

simmons-shot-1.jpg

ben and markelle forming the all physical abnormality team in philly

images

simmons-shot-1.jpg
Nah, the mofo is just shooting with the wrong hand

Nah, the mofo is just shooting with the wrong hand

I am trying to look closely and can't see a bend. I don't know. Maybe I am overanalyzing this, but I haven't seen proof that I am wrong. Regardless of which hand he uses.

I posted this on Reddit so maybe someone can prove me wrong there.

Y'all serious? Lol I mean it's not a major theory things are easier to pick up the younger you start lol. Remember leaning language? The impressionable years are the goat years to learn anything tbh. Teach kids to shoot as kids, the gap between Curry's will be closer. Still have to have talent, but gaps are closer just based on the brains ability to learn faster at that age. Wanna learn a language, start at 4, you'll be fluent by 10. Accent and everything. Piano. Flute. Drums. Cooking. Painting.

Sure natural talent plays a part, but alot of these ''prodegies' really just started earlier than others and put in the world every single day. Sacrificed play time for putting work in.

Similar to Kobe talking about how he practices. How he starts sooooo much earlier than everyone else, so over time that extra time adds up, so no matter how much time you put in later in life, you'll never catch up because he and they are literally yrs ahead of you.

I am trying to look closely and can't see a bend. I don't know. Maybe I am overanalyzing this, but I haven't seen proof that I am wrong. Regardless of which hand he uses.

I posted this on Reddit so maybe someone can prove me wrong there.
I feel you but he is naturally right handed. Might not be much bend there is a flick of da wrist on the right handed shots lol

Y'all serious? Lol I mean it's not a major theory things are easier to pick up the younger you start lol. Remember leaning language? The impressionable years are the goat years to learn anything tbh. Teach kids to shoot as kids, the gap between Curry's will be closer. Still have to have talent, but gaps are closer just based on the brains ability to learn faster at that age. Wanna learn a language, start at 4, you'll be fluent by 10. Accent and everything. Piano. Flute. Drums. Cooking. Painting.

Sure natural talent plays a part, but alot of these ''prodegies' really just started earlier than others and put in the world every single day. Sacrificed play time for putting work in.

Similar to Kobe talking about how he practices. How he starts sooooo much earlier than everyone else, so over time that extra time adds up, so no matter how much time you put in later in life, you'll never catch up because he and they are literally yrs ahead of you.

Agree. And it becomes a difference of one person being able to do things at an instinctive level vs. someone who more consciously has to think about doing the same thing. The person who can do the thing as second nature, without thinking, is often going to have the advantage. Those kind of instincts set in early and are harder to develop the later in life you try to pick up something - with certain savants and prodigies being the exception.

Last edited:
There was a video a while back of a bunch of Simmons' finishes at the rim and he looked like a natural righty. I forget the exact number but I'm pretty sure he used his right hand around 80% of the time at the rim. He also threw out the first pitch at the Phillies game with his right hand. Idk why he got it into his head at some point that he's a lefty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom