OFFICIAL 2020 STIMULUS CHECK THREAD

So my wife (we got married in 2019) made less than $75k in 2018 (haven’t filed our 2019 returns yet) but now that we’re married filing jointly in 2019 we’ll be over the $150k limit. Will she still receive the $1200? Are we gonna have to pay it back on our 2019/2020 returns?

So my wife (we got married in 2019) made less than $75k in 2018 (haven’t filed our 2019 returns yet) but now that we’re married filing jointly in 2019 we’ll be over the $150k limit. Will she still receive the $1200? Are we gonna have to pay it back on our 2019/2020 returns?
Wait until you receive payment to file 2019 returns

even if your over 150k MFJ youll still get something, unless your at like 198k. Theyre phasing out what $5 for every $100 over 75k/person or 150k mfj

Kinda crazy how people really haven’t been paying attention to how they gonna get free money.

Honestly, given how incompetent our government is, I wasn’t expecting it to come thru till like August :lol: With that said, my account info hasn’t changed so I should be straight

Don't qualify but I there's a $10,000 one for small businesses I'm looking into.
It's up to 10,000. You get 1,000 per employee but 10k is the cap. No employees, you just get 1k. Application is sketchy tho cus to qualify, you gotta just check a box that says you qualify, lol. So far no other validation is required and you don't have to pay it back.

When they sent this stimulus out, especially how rushed, they know 10% is going to be misappropriated. Charge it to the game.

i aint get my check... just checked my checking account and nada... its still early so its all good i aint trippin.. still going to be checking everyday though :lol:

Guess I need to open up a navy federal credit union account. Lol.

Great customer service.
Credit limits are amazing.

However, when paying Bill's through autopay, it takes like 3 or 4 days sometimes for the money to be withdrawn from your account or even shown. Which cant get you into trouble especially.if multiple pile up and then all hit you 3 business days after they were supposed to be taken out.

damn I’m pretty sure I got my taxes by mail in both 2018 and 2019

I work at a restaurant so I’m an “essential worker” I’ve been readying my self to make a career change so I’ve been working less since the new year, like 20-30 hours only.. but March it was half that. This unemployment bonus makes me want to quit, I’d be making more than what I am now

I also work for Amazon as a “gig employee” sometimes so I wonder if I’d even qualify for unemployment

Last edited:
I really wanna blow this $2900 on something unnecessary, but my brain keeps telling me to stash it away to pay off the IRS when we file for 2019. Man, to be young and irresponsible again. Adulting ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. :smh::lol:

I really wanna blow this $2900 on something unnecessary, but my brain keeps telling me to stash it away to pay off the IRS when we file for 2019. Man, to be young and irresponsible again. Adulting ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. :smh::lol:
I'm 34 now, If I were getting I would definitely do some responsible **** with it. Like put it in an IRA, put it in my HSA, or maybe give some to charity.

But if my 20 year old self where getting $1200 in free money, I would definitely be inside of Downtown Locker Room like...
giphy.gif

Then blow the rest on food, liquor, and weed.

Last edited:

Here in Canada the government started issuing out the Covid benefit which is $2k a month for the next 4 months. It's literally a 30 second, two-click "apply" process and you get the benefit. The application opened up on Monday and people got their direct deposit in 2 days (cheques next week). I got $4k since they also covered from the cut off date in mid-March to the beginning of April. A lot of people got both E.I. and the benefit, just E.I. or two benefit payments, one covering the month of March.

It's definitely tough. If this was the old me, I'd definitely spend that money crazy. But next year when it comes time to file for taxes I don't want problems with the government. I KNOW they'll come knocking to recoup most of that money. My advice superblytrife superblytrife is don't touch it unless you absolutely need to. And if you're still itching to spend try to put away at least half of it so you don't have any issues with the tax man whenever this pandemic calms down.

I'm just going to put the money into a GIC/high interest savings and earn interest off that money. Might as well make a little money off it instead of having it sit there.

Doubt we qualify, we filed 2019 before this whole mess and actually owe 22k the wife and i filed joint, and we clocked in about 165k of by any chance we do get something, in past years when we’ve actually gotten a little cash in return, we’ve always done DD but this year we actually owe, does the IRS already have my DD info from previous years or do I have to resubmit that?

damn I’m pretty sure I got my taxes by mail in both 2018 and 2019

I work at a restaurant so I’m an “essential worker” I’ve been readying my self to make a career change so I’ve been working less since the new year, like 20-30 hours only.. but March it was half that. This unemployment bonus makes me want to quit, I’d be making more than what I am now

I also work for Amazon as a “gig employee” sometimes so I wonder if I’d even qualify for unemployment

double check you can still get unemployment if you quit.

gotta be fired or laid off here.

double check you can still get unemployment if you quit.

gotta be fired or laid off here.

Yea I’m actually pretty sure it’s the same here now that you say it. I’ve been working there forever so I’m sure we could work something out and I’d go back to work when this all blows over. I wanna look into it but idk if I should

Now I’m realizing I did my 2018 taxes by mail and 2019 by direct deposit. I wonder what’s gonna happen

Ask them if they can “lay you off” you collect unemployment and work for cash or whatever you guys arrange.

that’s how they do it at my wife’s place right now.

Yea I’m actually pretty sure it’s the same here now that you say it. I’ve been working there forever so I’m sure we could work something out and I’d go back to work when this all blows over. I wanna look into it but idk if I should

Now I’m realizing I did my 2018 taxes by mail and 2019 by direct deposit. I wonder what’s gonna happen
If you haven’t filed 2019, you’ll be getting a check. That’s based on how you filed in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom