OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think as CFB fans we're just so used to the craziness that its not even weird to us anymore.

Imagine the Tampa Bay Bucs offensive coordinator coached a game on a Sunday, left without saying anything to his players or the Bucs organization and was announced as the head coach of another team the next day.

Imagine if the head coach of a team in the hunt for a wild card playoff spot just quit on his team and accepted another coaching job.

1) It makes sense for the NCAA to get rid of the early signing period. The intention was good (allowing long committed players who were done with the recruiting process to just sign early and get it over with) but it's had the unintended consequence of pushing coaching hires earlier and earlier. Because of the early signing period in December, coaches are getting fired in October and being poached in November (before their seasons are even over) because they are needed on the recruiting trail.

2) The NCAA needs to implement NFL-style rules around interviewing and accepting jobs. For example, NFL teams have to grant their staff members permission to interview for other jobs and there are rules around when teams can interview and offer jobs. College football is the wild west with backstabbing, back door deals and blind-siding your players, administration and even your own staff members. Coaches are literally leaving under the cloak of darkness to avoid detection.
The irony with all this (even though we know this is how it works, and have to accept it) is football is the one sport these CEO's (i.e. coaches) preach team team team. Loyalty, don't let your teammates down. Don't let your coaches down. Shut up and do what we say 12 months a year. And we are now at a spot where these same coaches are walking out in the middle of a potential playoff season. It is honestly the most absurd thing ever :lol:

I agree, the NFL has it right where if you are a head coach you are left alone. NFL teams don't poach each others' HC's and get into bidding wars (unless it is agreed upon and you gotta trade draft picks, etc). But the NFL is one giant unit...and NCAA members are not, outside of conference affiliation.

This fall has opened up such new precedent that this is going to be even more absurd in the coming years because there is coming back from this. $85 mil is the new baseline for big coaches, and agents now have 10 new doors that have just been opened for side demands at the bargaining table. There is no going back.

Not going to happen of course, but it would be hilarious if ND were to sneak in on others’ misfortunes and win the title while Kelly watched from home. Wish it was possible.

1) It makes sense for the NCAA to get rid of the early signing period. The intention was good (allowing long committed players who were done with the recruiting process to just sign early and get it over with) but it's had the unintended consequence of pushing coaching hires earlier and earlier. Because of the early signing period in December, coaches are getting fired in October and being poached in November (before their seasons are even over) because they are needed on the recruiting trail.

2) The NCAA needs to implement NFL-style rules around interviewing and accepting jobs. For example, NFL teams have to grant their staff members permission to interview for other jobs and there are rules around when teams can interview and offer jobs. College football is the wild west with backstabbing, back door deals and blind-siding your players, administration and even your own staff members. Coaches are literally leaving under the cloak of darkness to avoid detection.

The problem is that the NCAA is losing power and authority every day to implement anything with real teeth as it relates to coaches moving. I have to think that they would've implemented a Rooney Rule type setup if they had the authority years ago but the conferences run things. This leaving under the cloak of darkness benefits these schools at least the schools getting the coaches and they want things to stay the way they are. It was an open secret that Charlie Strong wasn't considered for head coaching jobs in the SEC back in 09 and before because he had a white wife. These conferences and schools do what they want.

1. The early signing period needs to be before the season similar to basketball’s. Make it a true early signing period and caution players not to sign unless they’re 100% sure. Most kids will stop signing early.

2. College football isn’t the nfl. The nfl is 32 private businesses. The NCAA isn’t a for profit business. Most of the coaches are public employees. You can’t limit job transitions, it’d be illegal to try to do so. It’s one of the reasons the ncaa has Slowly had to keep bending on their transfer limits.

3. You also gonna limit conference realignment? Cuz a month ago Oklahoma did to the big12 the exact same thing they’ve been *****ing about all week. And in that case there’s evidence OU lied to their conference and the SEC negotiated an expanded playoff in bad faith.

That's... Weird.
OU mods pivoting and damage controlling :lol:

Lanning wouldn't shock me either. See my latest note on what we are hearing. I have heard more and more on Lanning over the last 12 hours or so and I think he could be a legitimate candidate here. Would be another Joe C surprise get and one I think would be HUGE for the Sooners. I love his upside and his pedigree.

I can't wait for the " take your star QB with you to your new school" option.

Don’t forget “you scored 14 points! You’ve unlocked a new booster + local Waffle House sponsorship! + 2 dexterity!”

and

“The play you selected is no longer available because your head coach left during the 1st quarter. Please select another one. The play you selected is not longer available because the quarterback entered the transfer portal via tweet during the 1st quarter. Please select another one. The play you selected is ………”

😂😂

Don’t forget “you scored 14 points! You’ve unlocked a new booster + local Waffle House sponsorship! + 2 dexterity!”

and

“The play you selected is no longer available because your head coach left during the 1st quarter. Please select another one. The play you selected is not longer available because the quarterback entered the transfer portal via tweet during the 1st quarter. Please select another one. The play you selected is ………”

😂😂

Road to Glory mode is going to be crazy with the transfer portal and coaches leaving. It's going to be in the middle of a game week and you'll just get a message saying " your coach has left to go to another school, do you want to follow him?" 🤣

Then you're going to have to navigate nil deals as well.

Road to Glory mode is going to be crazy with the transfer portal and coaches leaving. It's going to be in the middle of a game week and you'll just get a message saying " your coach has left to go to another school, do you want to follow him?" 🤣

Then you're going to have to navigate nil deals as well.
😂😂

“you received a sponsorship deal but it was not as good as another player in the same position. Do you want to leave the school?”

😂😂

“you received a sponsorship deal but it was not as good as another player in the same position. Do you want to leave the school?”

" You signed an NIL deal with the local Chevy dealership, but now you've been benched! Are you ready to return the Dodge Charger they gave you?"

Wonder if OU surprises everyone and goes and gets someone like Marcus Freeman while people have him either staying at ND, going to Cincy or heading to LSU

Lanning wouldn't shock me either. See my latest note on what we are hearing. I have heard more and more on Lanning over the last 12 hours or so and I think he could be a legitimate candidate here. Would be another Joe C surprise get and one I think would be HUGE for the Sooners. I love his upside and his pedigree.

I like Dan lanning as a young, up and coming DC, but I'm not 100% sold on him being the head coach of a top 10 program at this stage in his career.. I'm not sure how Oklahoma fans would feel about it.

The fact that OU and ND fans are outraged is hilarious to me. One because as a fan of both teams I'm outraged but as a fan of USC and LSU I'm pumped.
joaquin-phoenix-joker.gif

" You signed an NIL deal with the local Chevy dealership, but now you've been benched! Are you ready to return the Dodge Charger they gave you?"
😂😂

“your poor performance has lead to smaller booster donations. The bank has called you several times. When will you be able to pay your monthly credit card bill? -2 pass rush”

Wonder if OU surprises everyone and goes and gets someone like Marcus Freeman while people have him either staying at ND, going to Cincy or heading to LSU
They better hurry up or along with all the other departures they're going to lose Brownlow-Dindy to A&M.

With this damn early NSD, you unfortunately can't sit back and wait.

Also - re: the early signing period

Why the hell did we do this again? In retrospect, it feels completely, totally unnecessary and pointless.

Legitimately bad for all involved, it seems.

Why the hell did we do this again? In retrospect, it feels completely, totally unnecessary and pointless.

I think the intention was good but the execution has been poor and there has been plenty of unexpected drawbacks.

The idea was to allow those prospects who were 100% secure in their decision to sign early. No more visits, no more coaches calling and texting you all the time. For a lot of high school kids it can be overwhelming and distracting so I get the idea of wanting to end it early.

In execution, it's been poor. Early signing day should only be for those prospects who don't want to visit anymore, aren't waiting on a better offer. Early signing should only be for those 20%-25% of prospects who are actually ready. For example, Georgia had a player named Dom Blaylock who committed immediately after he was offered as a sophomore and didn't take a visit or entertain another school the entire time he was in high school. This is who the early signing period Is designed for.

If you still think you need to take a visits or you're waiting on a better offer, don't sign early!

Now the early signing period has become the de facto NSD and 90% of prospect sign early when that wasn't the idea. Now you have the unintended consequence of the early signing period pushing, coaching, hiring/firing earlier and earlier.

As others have mentioned, the early signing period be in August, prior to football season If it exists at all If it exists at all. But this brings the added issue of what to do if the coach who recruited you leaves or gets fired?

Last edited:
The early signing period was exciting but sizzled for me. Not sure if its because there really are no surprises now or that USC has been so bad I dont even care anymore.

BUT WE'RE BACK BABBBBBBBBY!

It's because a lot of kids say they hate recruiting and want an early signing day where they can end the process and just enjoy their last year. Regular school kids have an early signing period: Early decision, which typically falls on 12/1-12/15 (November for Cali I think). They wanted to give the football kids an option similar.

What they SHOULD do is have an early action date on August 31 or something, where kids can do that financial aid paperwork and get locked in with the school with guaranteed scholarships but not be forced to attend. But I know schools hate that because it doesn't benefit them at all when the kid has a whole extra year. The real reason the early signing day is in December is cuz schools want that senior year tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom