OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this coaching carousel talk has got me wondering, so let's play a game:

We already did what are your top 5-10 jobs in college football. This time, why don't you tell me who your top 10 coaches in college are?

1. Saban
2. Dabo
3. Lincoln
4. Day
5. Kirby
6a. Harbaugh
6b. B. Kelly
8. Whittingham
9. Fickell
10. Jimbo/Lane

We already did what are your top 5-10 jobs in college football. This time, why don't you tell me who your top 10 coaches in college are?

1. Saban
2. Dabo
3. Lincoln
4. Day
5. Kirby
6a. Harbaugh
6b. B. Kelly
8. Whittingham
9. Fickell
10. Jimbo/Lane
Eh…I’d put Day above Dabo and Kirby behind Kelly/Harbaugh.

Not sure what to think about this one. His defenses weren’t great his first 3 years but I believe this past season they were #3 in the nation. Hopefully an improvement

The same defense that got served by Baylor and almost gave it up against a freshman in Oklahoma? Can’t believe Ohio State can’t find a top tier D coordinator to poach

The same defense that got served by Baylor and almost gave it up against a freshman in Oklahoma? Can’t believe Ohio State can’t find a top tier D coordinator to poach

I was hoping they’d at least shoot for Gary Patterson, Durkin, or Ash.

Oklahoma State poster said this:

He plays a 4-2-5 , and also 3-3-5 depending on times in the game. His only weakness right now is teams that use their TE's like OU, and Iowa State. He will give up a few big plays on 3rd and 4th down when he sells out on a blitz. He makes great 2nd half adjustments.

Also reported he was just offered $2.2 million by Chad Weiberg, and Knowles hasn't signed anything with your school just yet.

Knowles will be coaching in the Fiesta Bowl if he eventually does sign with you all.

Gundy is also threatening to go to Oregon if we don't try and keep Knowles.

1. Saban
2. Dabo
3. Lincoln
4. Day
5. Kirby
6a. Harbaugh
6b. B. Kelly
8. Whittingham
9. Fickell
10. Jimbo/Lane

I would put Brian Kelly above Harbaugh. I would also have Kirby, Day and Riley as 3a, 3b and 3c. They're all literally at the same stage in their careers: young coaches at programs on the cusp of winning a title but not quite there yet.

interesting thing about college football is you have these ridiculous oscillations. For example, if we did this list 3 months ago, many people would have Dan Mullen as a top 10 coach and harbaugh wouldn't be in the top 25, How bowling is fired and Harbaugh is in the top 10?

I would put Brian Kelly above Harbaugh. I would also have Kirby, Day and Riley as 3a, 3b and 3c. They're all literally at the same stage in their careers: young coaches at programs on the cusp of winning a title but not quite there yet.

interesting thing about college football is you have these ridiculous oscillations. For example, if we did this list 3 months ago, many people would have Dan Mullen as a top 10 coach and harbaugh wouldn't be in the top 25, How bowling is fired and Harbaugh is in the top 10?
Yeah I have Harbaugh and Kelly at the same level, simply because I think Harbaugh is a better coach but until this year had consistently underachieved. Kelly just maintains a very high floor but no one actually thinks he'll ever win anything of note. I think Harbaugh has the potential to do so in a chaos year like this one.

Lincoln's made 3 playoffs and coached 2 heisman winners. I think Lincoln's just a step above the other two. I don't mind saying Kirby is above Day though. That's actually almost definitely true. I just think Day is a better on field coach.

Yeah I have Harbaugh and Kelly at the same level, simply because I think Harbaugh is a better coach but until this year had consistently underachieved. Kelly just maintains a very high floor but no one actually thinks he'll ever win anything of note. I think Harbaugh has the potential to do so in a chaos year like this one.

Lincoln's made 3 playoffs and coached 2 heisman winners. I think Lincoln's just a step above the other two. I don't mind saying Kirby is above Day though. That's actually almost definitely true. I just think Day is a better on field coach.

Day and Riley both inherited top programs and essentially kept the status quo of their trajectory. I’d say neither drastically improved each program because the only improvement would be winning a title at each so it’s not entirely fair to base it off of that. If anything Riley improved Oklahoma more so than day has Ohio State so I’d give Riley the nod over him. I am excited to see how Riley does at USC since they haven’t been a top program as of late.

Corey Raymond leaving LSU would be pretty crazy. I'd just hope that he doesn't end up at either of the other two Florida schools :lol: :lol:

I can't forsee Kelly getting rid of him being received well amongst the LSU faithful

Day and Riley both inherited top programs and essentially kept the status quo of their trajectory. I’d say neither drastically improved each program because the only improvement would be winning a title at each so it’s not entirely fair to base it off of that. If anything Riley improved Oklahoma more so than day has Ohio State so I’d give Riley the nod over him. I am excited to see how Riley does at USC since they haven’t been a top program as of late.

This is a very good point. Neither of them had to turn their program around. It's not like they were replacing coach that had been fired and the programs needed to be rebuilt, basically all they had to do is maintain.

In Bob stoops last 2 years at Oklahoma they went 11-2 and 11-2... Basically the same stuff Lincoln Riley is doing. Riley has done a great job of raising your profile of the program and cultivating an offensive philosophy but it's not like he's doing anything. His predecessor didn't do. Obviously the same goes for Ryan Day.

I give Brian Kelly a lot of credit because he had to turn the Notre Dame program around because the prior coach was a disaster and he's turned Notre Dame into a top 6 program given all of the restrictions at Notre Dame. Notre Dame has a terrible natural recruiting base due to its location, terrible weather, huge religious influence that turns off many kids, higher academic and moral standards and Notre Dame doesn't accept junior college players. Very few coaches in the country could achieve what Brian Kelly has given the circumstances.

This is a very good point. Neither of them had to turn their program around. It's not like they were replacing coach that had been fired and the programs needed to be rebuilt, basically all they had to do is maintain.

In Bob stoops last 2 years at Oklahoma they went 11-2 and 11-2... Basically the same stuff Lincoln Riley is doing. Riley has done a great job of raising your profile of the program and cultivating an offensive philosophy but it's not like he's doing anything. His predecessor didn't do. Obviously the same goes for Ryan Day.

I give Brian Kelly a lot of credit because he had to turn the Notre Dame program around because the prior coach was a disaster and he's turned Notre Dame into a top 6 program given all of the restrictions at Notre Dame. Notre Dame has a terrible natural recruiting base due to its location, terrible weather, huge religious influence that turns off many kids, higher academic and moral standards and Notre Dame doesn't accept junior college players. Very few coaches in the country could achieve what Brian Kelly has given the circumstances.

Exactly. And don’t get me wrong it’s no easy task to keep a program running at a high level once those previous recruits are gone and you have to do it yourself. I’d have Kirby at 3 personally. UGA wasn’t bad by any means when he took over but they were not at the elite level he’s got them at now. I’m honestly not even 100% with Dabo at 2. He’s never had to handle any coaching turnover with assistants like Saban does basically every year. It’ll be very interesting to see how he does without Venables and (potentially) Elliot. As of now titles matter so he’s still 2 I suppose

Exactly. And don’t get me wrong it’s no easy task to keep a program running at a high level once those previous recruits are gone and you have to do it yourself. I’d have Kirby at 3 personally. UGA wasn’t bad by any means when he took over but they were not at the elite level he’s got them at now. I’m honestly not even 100% with Dabo at 2. He’s never had to handle any coaching turnover with assistants like Saban does basically every year. It’ll be very interesting to see how he does without Venables and (potentially) Elliot. As of now titles matter so he’s still 2 I suppose

For me it comes down to this (admittedly subjective and impossible to measure) criteria: other than Nick Saban, I don't think anyone Coach could achieve what Brian Kelly did at Notre Dame and I believe there are several coaches who could achieve what Lincoln, Riley and Ryan Day have at their respective schools. Lincoln and Ryan Day were both handed the keys to Ferraris and all they had to do was keep them going at the same speed. Both of them were handed by far the most talented rosters in their respective conferences from day one. I believe there are about a dozen coaches who could do what Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley have done.

There's an argument to be made for several coaches in the 2-8 spot after Saban. Dabo is the de facto #2 because of his two national championships and playoff success but going forward, there are a number of coaches I would rather have than Dabo. It's going to be interesting to see how he adapts without a generational QB and having to deal with coaching turnover.

Last edited:
In regard to Dabo, winning 2 national championships have to count for something. He BUILT that program. If there's been little coaching turnover that's because of him.

The only active coaches with national titles right now are Saban, Dabo, and Jimbo.

The only ones who have even played for a national championship are Saban, Dabo, Jimbo, Gus, Day, Kirby, B Kelly and Chip.

Playoff bid? Saban, Dabo, Lincoln, Kirby, Day, BK, Harbs, Fickell, and Jimbo. (I have to be forgetting someone. Who am I forgetting? Is that reall it?)

In regard to Dabo, winning 2 national championships have to count for something. He BUILT that program. If there's been little coaching turnover that's because of him.

The only active coaches with national titles right now are Saban, Dabo, and Jimbo.

The only ones who have even played for a national championship are Saban, Dabo, Jimbo, Gus, Day, Kirby, B Kelly and Chip.

Playoff bid? Saban, Dabo, Lincoln, Kirby, Day, BK, Harbs, Fickell, and Jimbo. (I have to be forgetting someone. Who am I forgetting? Is that reall it?)

I think the only teams to make the playoff since it came around are:

Bama-Saban
Clemson-Dabo
UGA-Kirby
Oklahoma-Riley
LSU-Orgeron
Notre Dame-Kelly
Michigan State-Dantonio
Cincinnati-Fickell
Michigan-Harbaugh
Washington-Peterson
Oregon-Helfrich (I think it was him)

Also Wiltfong implied this morning that Corey Raymond may be leaving LSU. I wonder if there's anything to that and if so if that's Kelly pushing him out or another sign of incumbent LSU people just not liking Kelly.

ThaxbyChamblis ThaxbyChamblis N41D N41D dacomeup dacomeup
Corey Raymond leaving LSU would be pretty crazy. I'd just hope that he doesn't end up at either of the other two Florida schools :lol: :lol:

I can't forsee Kelly getting rid of him being received well amongst the LSU faithful
He already booted Tommy Moffitt, too.

Cleaning house feels like a risky proposition for a Northeasterner with a reputation for being an ******* walking into homes in Louisiana - but whatever.

Very true. The Clemson program was a middling ACC team and he built them into a top 3 team in the nation. It's interesting that people forget about dabo's struggles for the first 6-7 years of his tenure there . It wasn't a quick turnaround. He really got it out of the mud. I respect that even though I think he's goofy

To me, always hard to figure out those kinda lists because of the systems in place and the way football just is now. Us here on NT could get the job at Ohio St and win most of our games the next five years.

Nick Saban is probably the GOAT college coach of all time (would never argue against that). We've never seen anything like what Alabama is doing. But then you also realize NFL Nick Saban goes 15-17, sees what it's like when the other sideline has just as much talent as you do, and he gets the hell out. He also went 34-24 (with zero bowl wins) at Michigan State. How do you equally compare these guys talent-wise? :lol:

Does Dabo drop like a weight if they lose again next year? (which they could)

To me what a guy like Fickell has done, losing all his built-in advantages he could have at brand name schools, if he keeps that up he has to be right in the mix too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom