OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some "smoke" about Kayshon Boutte transferring to Alabama. I think this is purely based on some tweets that Boutte liked though. LSU can't let Alabama take literally their best two players (Boutte and Ricks).

This is why I don't worry about high school recruiting nearly as much as I used to. In the past, if you missed on a position group, that would hurt your roster 2-3 years down the line but that's not the case anymore. Now top teams can fill in gaps through the portal.

UGA lost their entire defensive backfield but were able to get Kendrick from Clemson and tyke Smith from West Virginia (although he got injured.

Alabama loses their top two pass catchers from last season, but they're able to get a prospect like Jameson Williams through the portal.

This is why I don't worry about high school recruiting nearly as much as I used to. In the past, if you missed on a position group, that would hurt your roster 2-3 years down the line but that's not the case anymore. Now top teams can fill in gaps through the portal.

This.

Unless something changes to the portal I can see coaches prioritizing the portal compared to high school recruiting. Why take a chance on a 2 or 3 star kid, who may or may not develop much less put his name in the portal when you can fill a position of need instantly with a guy who has played college football before.
The five star high school kids will always get their dues but the portal and the kind of instant success you can find is changing how coaches view recruiting and where they spend their time.

This.

Unless something changes to the portal I can see coaches prioritizing the portal compared to high school recruiting. Why take a chance on a 2 or 3 star kid, who may or may not develop much less put his name in the portal when you can fill a position of need instantly with a guy who has played college football before.
The five star high school kids will always get their dues but the portal and the kind of instant success you can find is changing how coaches view recruiting and where they spend their time.

I think this is already happening. I know that Georgia specifically has been signing smaller classes and leaving 3-4 scholarships each year to get guys out of the portal. We're not reaching for diamonds in the rough anymore. Top programs used to take flyers on high upside project type players because they had numbers to fill but now they just wait for portal season and those types of players go to lower level schools.

Conversely, the portal allows programs to effectively tell kids who are already on scholarship and in your program to "look elsewhere".

Last edited:

The response to this. Travis Hunter news has been fascinating to me. I wonder if there would be this much passion and vitriol ( In some cases) If he had gone to North Dakota State instead of an HBCU.

I've seen white people say the most terrible things about Jackson State and HBCUs in the last 24 hours:

" He won't get a good education at Jackson State" ( as if Florida State is some academic powerhouse)

" The town of Jackson, Mississippi is crime, infested and ugly"

I even read a thread on the 247 boards about how they think the women in Jackson, Mississippi are ugly lol

I've never seen so many grown men in their feelings about a prospect that was never going to their school.

my only gripe about Hunter going to Jackson State? We won't be able to watch him play against the best talent.

Thats it. Its also why I was good with someone like Bryce Young going to Bama. Want to see him play in the biggest stage against the best.

Urban will be Byke. Hopefully we all can stand on solidarity with him.

The old urban will never be back and that’s why he won’t get another job.
he’s said he can’t and won’t micromanage any more, so what’s the point of hiring urban meyer if the one strength he has, he can’t and won’t do.

this Jags job was basically his pension plan.
he took it knowing he was going to half *** it, get fired, get paid and not look back

The old urban will never be back and that’s why he won’t get another job.
he’s said he can’t and won’t micromanage any more, so what’s the point of hiring urban meyer if the one strength he has, he can’t and won’t do.

this Jags job was basically his pension plan.
he took it knowing he was going to half *** it, get fired, get paid and not look back

I think a big part of the timing of urban firing was the news about him kicking that kicker. They may have had grounds to fire him "for cause" which means they wouldn't owe him nearly as much money.

Last edited:

The response to this. Travis Hunter news has been fascinating to me. I wonder if there would be this much passion and vitriol ( In some cases) If he had gone to North Dakota State instead of an HBCU.

I've seen white people say the most terrible things about Jackson State and HBCUs in the last 24 hours:

" He won't get a good education at Jackson State" ( as if Florida State is some academic powerhouse)

" The town of Jackson, Mississippi is crime, infested and ugly"

I even read a thread on the 247 boards about how they think the women in Jackson, Mississippi are ugly lol

I've never seen so many grown men in their feelings about a prospect that was never going to their school.

Anytime black folks or others jump in a lane that white ppl think they got on lock this is always the type of reaction…

Reminds me of some local high school football bs round my way…St Frances (black school) decided they wanted to be a powerhouse and spend money/recruit etc like the white private schools been doing forever…They became a power over night and the response of the other schools was that it’s unfair and “unsafe” then kicked em out the league and had em scrambling to fill out a national schedule :lol: :smh: …All of a sudden something they always been doing isn’t right anymore :smh:

man, this kid has really changed. You can just see how this has affected him emotionally. Tough spot he's in. Nobody sees the pressure these guys are in.

But after all of that, hes looking to go to Miami? The one that has a coach who was in charge on the team he left? Who else is he looking at?
Is he looking at Miami? I hadn't heard that. He visited FSU and I know he keeps making overtures to USC.

There is some "smoke" about Kayshon Boutte transferring to Alabama. I think this is purely based on some tweets that Boutte liked though. LSU can't let Alabama take literally their best two players (Boutte and Ricks).

UGA lost their entire defensive backfield but were able to get Kendrick from Clemson and tyke Smith from West Virginia (although he got injured.

Alabama loses their top two pass catchers from last season, but they're able to get a prospect like Jameson Williams through the portal.

Jahmyr Gibbs too. Bama rerouted all their bags to the portal. Ricks said he and his family spoke to Bryce and his parents about what it was like living in Alabama and the pros and cons of it and "that's" what convinced him. This is a kid who has been trying to transfer out of Baton Rouge since freshman camp because he was homesick and hated the culture down there :lol:

This.

Because it's a failing tactic. The portal giveth and the portal taketh. You can supplement with the portal, but if you prioritize the portal over recruiting high school kids, you're A. going to have age gaps in your depth that will be crushing down the line, and B. high schools will see that and cut you out. You're not helping their kids go to college? Don't come knocking in the future. For an example of both: see Texas State.

Nah no way Urban goes that route :lol:, it would be smart but not happening with his ego

Urban has never called plays. He's not an OC. He also has too great an ego to do that, especially not with Saban. Maybe at a school where he'd be the shadow head coach like Darth Sidious.

I'm not scared. He's probably gonna look like Gus Malzahn Dillon Gabriel more than the Josh Huepel model.

Like... I'm here for it but I'd be damned if I let my kid gamble an NFL career on being at a school with Deion Sanders - who openly campaigned for other jobs - and that ain't got the same resources these draft factories do.

HBCUs produced more NFL HOFers than big time programs at one point.... I’m glad it’ll return to such

You know what I was just thinking about?

Remember that badly made expose/documentary about Urban from like 7 years ago where a bunch of players claimed verbal, emotional, and physical abuse by Urban and one of them claimed he threw a full Gatorade bottle at his head and it turned into a near physical confrontation between them?

I think a couple of players and fans at UF and tO$U said it was all bull**** and attacked the players?

They were definitely telling the truth right?

Doesn’t Jackson State have more than FSU?
If we really keeping it a 100, where those 2 programs are and project to be next year or 2 it probly makes more sense to go to JSU than FSU…Take out the Power 5 bias and the youngin in a better situation and chance to win games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom