OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Those 2010s PED were different
That was peak USC Pete Carroll days. Roster was looking lije body builders. I remember when the Buckeyes came to the Coliseum and me and the homie were on like the 2nd row and we looked at both teams and said no way buckeyes have a chance. Taylor Mays was looking bigger than all of the buckeyes. Man I was in my prime during that run.

Was thinking about Kirby Smart seeing Saban retire and Jim leave. Realistically, does Kirby have more than 5 years left in him at UGA. Competing with this new NIL has to get tiring. I feel like coaches should burn out more.

nako xl nako xl ’s boy de Laura is already gone from Texas State.
What happened

Edit

Just read that he finally settled the sexual assault lawsuit against him before enrolling. Also that there was an on campus student protest planned for this Friday against JDL and against Texas State football.

Not unrelated, read that he went to Texas St. to play for Craig Stutzmann, who he played for at Wazzu.

Stutzmann just got the SJSU OC job, so probably heading there next to be the trigger man in their “spread n shred” offense.

Last edited:
Was thinking about Kirby Smart seeing Saban retire and Jim leave. Realistically, does Kirby have more than 5 years left in him at UGA. Competing with this new NIL has to get tiring. I feel like coaches should burn out more.

He should be fine, this is the weakest the SEC has been in a long time, even with UT joining the conference this season.

It’s the same reason I’m bullish on Deboer working out eventually at Bama.

He should be fine, this is the weakest the SEC has been in a long time, even with UT joining the conference this season.

It’s the same reason I’m bullish on Deboer working out eventually at Bama.
Deboer doesn’t recruit well enough to win anything of consequence at Bama.

The roster isn’t currently good enough for him to win a natty out of the gate and I question whether the fanbase will be patient enough for him to build.

Look at Washington, for example. That team was not going to be particularly good even with him this year but UW would have given him years and years to figure it out just for taking them to the playoff and giving positive vibes. Bama may boot him after back to back 9-3.

The roster isn’t currently good enough for him to win a natty out of the gate and I question whether the fanbase will be patient enough for him to build.

Look at Washington, for example. That team was not going to be particularly good even with him this year but UW would have given him years and years to figure it out just for taking them to the playoff and giving positive vibes. Bama may boot him after back to back 9-3.

What is definition of “recruiting well” at places like Fresno and UW? That part of the evaluation should still be TBD.

He’s proven he can coach and develop at a high level at multiple stops, the recruiting should fall in place.

I don’t blame them for being hesitant. A podcast was saying he didn’t want it to take effect until like February 15th so that if he did take an NFL job the team wouldn’t be held for an even bigger buyout. Plus, where was he going to go if he didn’t take the NFL job? He was still under contract with Michigan

Hope Sherrone Moore gets the Michigan gig.

Brian Kelly would be hilarious, but wanna see dudes like Moore get big tentpole-caliber opportunities.

A couple of years ago Kirby hinted that he might retire younger just due to the craziness and lack of structure in college football, of course he walked back those statements but I still don't see him coaching into his 60s, much less '70s. Coaches nowadays make way too much money so they don't need to coach as long to amass huge fortunes.

We are in the wild west of college football and I do see structure (employment contracts, collective bargaining or major college football breaking away from the NCAA and creating their own system). I don't think we will be in this period of lawlessness for long.

Honestly, we don't know the type of recruiter Kalen is. Urban Meyer was never known as being a dogged recruiter until he got to Florida. Logic dictates that Alabama recruiting will fall off a little bit (I don't see Kalen bringing in 8 consecutive #1 classes like Nick Saban) but how much it falls off we won't know for a little while.

A small drop off and talent can make a big difference in college football. If Alabama recruiting falls from a top 2 level to a top 10 level, Bama would become like Georgia under Mark Richt (Good but rarely elite).

A small drop off and talent can make a big difference in college football. If Alabama recruiting falls from a top 2 level to a top 10 level, Bama would become like Georgia under Mark Richt (Good but rarely elite).
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Parity is already increasing with NIL and the portal, plus the CFP is expanding. It’ll be more about matchups, attrition over the course of the year and some luck now. We’re getting even further away from the best team actually being the champion, IMO.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Parity is already increasing with NIL and the portal, plus the CFP is expanding. It’ll be more about matchups, attrition over the course of the year and some luck now. We’re getting even further away from the best team actually being the champion, IMO.

It’s only natural with expanding the field. We used to day dream about something similar to March Madness in football and we’re about to get it.

We'll see how things work out in practice but I'm skeptical of this. In theory what You're saying makes sense because the more games you have to play, the more opportunity there is for randomness where a better team loses (also, more games means more potential injury which may equal the playing field in some circumstances). This is what has happened in college basketball where the best team in the regular season rarely wins the championship (which I'm not the biggest fan of but I guess that's just how it is in college basketball).

I think college football is fundamentally different in this regard. My theory is that we will see the most talented teams continue to win most of the time. In the past elite teams could be eliminated before ever getting to the playoffs because only two teams made it in the BCS and only four teams made it in the CFP. Now Ohio State, Bama, Georgia or another recruiting superpower can have a mulligan or two in a regular season and still make it to the playoff where their superior talent can win out.

In the BCS and mythical national championship era teams won championships by avoiding playing some elite teams because those elite teams might have slipped up once in the regular season and were eliminated. Now all of those teams are going to be in the playoffs and they have to settle it on the field.

I think of 2015 Ohio State or 2013 Bama for example.

Boutte a DBZ fan?

Over_9000!.png

Back
Top Bottom