OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

When I spend $60 to get 2032 5-Star QB Gunner Riley to Florida from witnesskb24 witnesskb24 controlled OSU

IMG_8270.gif

I'm going to be talking like Dabo if this is the case

Once we see a head coach from a premier school (UGA, OSU, USC, Michigan, etc.) that’s actually winning bolt to the NFL for a coordinator job, maybe then they can have some “NIL is killing football” traction.

Coaches leaving these dead end jobs and betting on themselves elsewhere isn’t any indication of that.

I think NIL but the free transfer of players when coupled with NIL is a bigger factor. I think Bud is too quick to brush all of these occurrences off. I think G5 programs are in a particularly tough spot for a number of reasons:

1. The free transfer players and NIL Make it impossible to build a roster. Even if you do find and develop a diamond in the rough they will just leave your program if they have a good season. Even what Cincinnati did in making the 4 team playoff 2021 is impossible now because all of those players would have transferred after a successful 2020 season.

2. The pipeline of G5 to P5 head coach isn't there anymore. P5 programs would rather hire a P5 assistant then a G5 head coach (even a successful G5 head coach). This is why you see sitting G5 head coaches taking assistant or even position coach jobs at P5 schools.

3. The financial gap between G5 and P5 is only getting bigger. Not only are G5 rosters getting raided but coaches can make as much money being a position coach in the SEC or Big Ten as they can as a G5 head coach.

I think NIL but the free transfer of players when coupled with NIL is a bigger factor. I think Bud is too quick to brush all of these occurrences off. I think G5 programs are in a particularly tough spot for a number of reasons:

1. The free transfer players and NIL Make it impossible to build a roster. Even if you do find and develop a diamond in the rough they will just leave your program if they have a good season. Even what Cincinnati did in making the 4 team playoff 2021 is impossible now because all of those players would have transferred after a successful 2020 season.

2. The pipeline of G5 to P5 head coach isn't there anymore. P5 programs would rather hire a P5 assistant then a G5 head coach (even a successful G5 head coach). This is why you see sitting G5 head coaches taking assistant or even position coach jobs at P5 schools.

3. The financial gap between G5 and P5 is only getting bigger. Not only are G5 rosters getting raided but coaches can make as much money being a position coach in the SEC or Big Ten as they can as a G5 head coach.

That’s exactly why I think the G5 should branch off and do their own championship. The expanded playoff isn’t going to regularly include more G5 teams, it’s going to be P5 and maybe one G5 when there could be multiple that deserve to be in. I think a lot of us in here were in agreement that NIL was going to create an even larger gaps between the haves and have nots. Those small programs simply can’t compete with the finances of P5 schools

If they fired him 4 to 5 years ago, there might still be a Pac 12

I’d blame Larry Scott more than anyone else. He took over in 2021 and basically found out USC and UCLA were leaving a year later. I don’t think there’s anything he could’ve done to prevent that or the rest of the conference crumbling. He essentially took over a sinking ship

I think we're speaking more generally than is probably true. And people are being willfully naive if they think G5 superstars only just started getting tampered with last season. You Think Sauce Gardner didn't get offers from bigger schools?

Vernon Adams transferred to Oregon for free? Cam Newton's transfer is still an ongoing investigation?

Kids who are inclined to leave a great situation chasing money have always done so and will always do so and others who value other things more will stick around (as we've seen in the past two offseasons.) Same with coaches. This media fervor over how NIL is killing competitiveness in college football isn't by accident. Also the G5s have never and will never win **** of consequence, so why are we pretending the Georgia State head coach just realized he can't win the playoff anymore there.

I’d blame Larry Scott more than anyone else. He took over in 2021 and basically found out USC and UCLA were leaving a year later. I don’t think there’s anything he could’ve done to prevent that or the rest of the conference crumbling. He essentially took over a sinking ship
Ehhh.... He wasn't as horrible as Larry, but he was wholly incompetent also. He should have never been made commissioner.

There’s nothing stopping G5 teams from raiding below them either, which is why the “they’re raiding our rosters and we can’t keep a team together” complaint falls on death ears for me. I’m never going to feel sorry for these guys having to do more work.

With that being said the lack of upward mobility you’re seeing from the G5 ranks in terms of HC hires at the P4 level is troubling for the outlook of the G5 going forward and the game itself honestly. We all know those jobs are looked at as stepping stones in the coaching community, and I do think having HC experience before taking a bigger job is a valuable experience and is something that can’t really be gained by being a P4 assistant. I think we’re going to see a lot more flameouts at big jobs because guys aren’t adequately prepared for the demands of being a HC.

Back
Top Bottom