Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Season Thread Vol: (17-17)

Heyward hits a 3 run bomb the wind blows a foot foul....

Then hits an infield single the Ump calls him out for running out of the baseline. :stoneface:

Rizzo with 2 solo homers, a single and an IBB

Heyward misses yet another homer but gets a triple at least. Sac flies from Baez and Jay help extend the lead.

Hendricks follows up Lester with a solid performance. :nerd:

Had a bad night last night so didn't have time to pull thru, but W, 25-21 back in first place. :pimp:

Bryant, Heyward, and Zobrist all with solo home runs. Strong game from Butler, that play by Javy in the 8th :wow: :x

In my year long theme of keeping up with available arms for the future, we can add a former Cub to the list, Jeff Samardzija. He's signed for the next 3 years, AND a trade would likely mean the Giants pick up a portion of that salary, meaning we could have him locked up beyond this year (remember, we only have 2 starters locked up after this year, Lester and Hendricks) so while a rental like Yu Darvish would be great for this season, he'd be yet another arm we don't have next year. Jeff may not be a sexy add like an Archer, or Quintana, but he wouldn't cost as much in terms of dollars and prospects either. Plus we already know he pitches well with Bosio, imagine having a better defense and offense than what he was used to in 12-13-14. And if he was our #5 starter, and not our #1 or 2 like before, it's a no brainer really.

So just another name to keep an eye on.

Need Jake to keep the ball rolling tonight, need another solid performance outta him out west and start the series off right with Kershaw looming Sunday.

Heard Jesse Rogers on the radio shoot down some rumor of the Cubbies attaining Archer for Javy, Almora, and Candelario.

What's everyone's thought on this? I'm still a lil conflicted with this trade.

That's not a real scenario. Would take WAY more than that to get Archer.

I'd love Archer, but he'd cost us A LOT of prospects + a Baez or Schwarber.

I'm talkin Baez, Happ, Eloy, Candelario + a double A pitcher.

A lot.

We need to keep Baez. I don't even know why they are mentioning him as trade bait. Dude can play multiple positions great. Has a good bat too. I know we need some help. IF we have to get rid of someone then Schwarber would be it imo. I hate to see either go, but I'd much rather keep Javy of the two.

Last edited:
Well....

Horrific trip. Cubs had won 7 of 9, then got on a plane.

Shutout Friday
Shutout Saturday
Beatdown Sunday
Complete meltdown Monday.

10 walks, and 2 HBP, and they score TWO runs in 9 innings vs the Padres. :stoneface:

Brutal, brutal stretch right now.

4 straight losses, back to .500 now, 25-25. :smh:

Need to win these next 2, no matter what.

Really, really rough stretch.

Luckily, it's just our bats, pitching, fielding, bullpen and bench that's struggling. :lol:

Funny tho, we're 1.5 back of first place, so.... :lol:

If Jake loses tomorrow, man....

So.....this is WAY early.....

Peter Gammons reporting/speculating that Bryce Harper would sign with us in 2018.

Keep in mind, he grew up with Bryant.

Harper
Bryant
Rizzo

In their primes. :lol: :wow: :x :pimp:

Again, WAY early, but let's see how our TV deal looks, we could have the money, depending on what he wants. If he wants $400 million, probably not. If he wants $200..... [emoji]129300[/emoji]

W. 27-27

Cubs win 2nd of 3 series vs the Cards. :pimp:

Baez solo bomb, Schwarber the granny.

Schwarber LF
Harper RF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras C
Heyward CF
Russell SS
Baez 2B

2018? :nerd: