Official '24 NYK off-season thread; Give them a standing ovation

Should the knicks trade for Damian Lillard?

• A. Yes

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • B. No

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • C. IDK

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • D. Joel Embid instead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RJ is def not the worst pick.

He has stayed consistent and most nights, contributes.

Both Zion and Ja are more talented, but Zion has not been able to stay healthy and Jas off the field stuff is troubling. That's not to say I wouldn't take Ja over him.

But again, RJ has been healthy and positive for the Knicks, the front office, the fans and culture.

At least that's how I justify it.

I must be watching a different RJ Barrett than everyone else. I admittedly slept right through most of that game but amazingly woke up for the Dubious 🙏 being answered. What about this one doesn’t show any growth from the year 1 version?
His process and progress is a slow one but from what I can see it looks like a better midrange selection/decision making in the paint and footwork has gotten more fluid. Not just from Friday but all through this szn as well.

Fwiw, the dude has been in a constant role adjustment so far, from szn to szn. Nuances like those might have an effect on anyone’s play.

But I’m also not standing down on better Jimmy Buckets when he eventually puts it all together. It’s just that while he’s working thru all of this, he’s doing it under the brightest lights wearing the heaviest jersey.

And it can be a painful watch :lol:

Because of his physical limitations he’s just gonna have to get more surgical in his skill. And that imo is just going to come to work ethic [which no one needs questioning on from him].

I would expect the craftwork to take longer but at 22 I’m good with where dude is at tbh.

I think he likes playing Mia :lol: . Same squad he put 46 on last year.

Team gets 10 games over .500 and now RJ or every other dude born within months is the worst pick ever on any given night.

How about being happy about being ahead of schedule. The team is winning despite these never will be anything 22 year olds.

Let some **** rock maybe; at least until a can’t miss shows up.
And Donovan Mitchell in NY is not HIM like he IS in Cle. For all the Screamin A’s still crying
1678035870963.gif

Def not saying RJ was the wrong pick but he just ain’t it. If you can see RJ is going to be a Star through your eyes because he’s only 22 then I can see through my eyes RJ has peaked at 22. There are plenty of players who have stayed the same or have regressed after their 1st few years. Every Player doesn’t get better as time goes on or as they age. Some athletes hit their peak earlier than others.

This shoulda been &1 but whatever:stoneface:

Idc what anyone sees in my guy Broadway Barrett. Damn right I’m protective of our best selection since Mitch.

Totally different players but even Mitch still had his doubters up to last summer iirc. Dudes caught themselves saying Sims was better too :wow:

Mitch was the 36th pick. Complete steal.

RJ went to Duke and was the 3rd overall pick. Expectations are way higher and at the trajectory RJ is on, i doubt he will meet them.

if you think Zion is injured often now, imagine him playing for Thibs. Ja...dude is an idiot.

i'm not saying RJ will be an all-star or that he peaked. all i'm saying is that if Brunson and Randle continue to be all-stars and RJ can at least get his efficiency up, we don't need to make a big move. RJ is averaging ~20ppg as the 3rd option. we don't need him to score 25ppg, but if he can get his FG% up to 45-46% and go back to shooting the 3 like he did in year 2, i think we're SOLID. dude never backs down and seems to put the work in. it'll come together. he's only 22. i'm much quicker to give up on Obi than RJ. he's 25 and is seemingly the exact same player, except taking more 3s. granted he doesnt get a lot of burn, but that's probably the reason why.

Is he really averaging 20 ppg though? His splits and averages have been downhill since December.

He's more of a 17ppg on 42/32/75 player. If he stinks it up in the playoffs, we should move him.

Outside of his supposed work ethic, I cant think of one positive thing he does.

I’m hoping he continues what he’s done last couple. He looked more like he was trying to fit in as opposed to keeping up with Brunson and Dubious. He deferred to Grimes when he had it going. Took less shots and was more efficient.

I’m only worried right now about defense. Not surprisingly he plays better when Mitch is behind him but it looks like he really needs him. Right now at least.

Who knows if that will correct itself too.

Back
Top Bottom